Rig 2.0 gaming and editting

Carde

Rig 1.4 is getting to a respectable age (5 years) and specially considering she is build upon rig 1.0 which well was good, but far from perfect it is time to work on a full on upgrade.

Current Rig 1.4:

CPU: 3770K (I will miss you cause silicon lotery was kind running you at 4.5Ghz for 5 years and even pushing you to 5.0).

Cooling: Custom 360 loop (Will not miss you, way to much hassle, started out with a corsair AIO)

MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z77 (Never failed me)

Ram: 2x8GB 1800Mhz or abouts. (G-skill mem, sadly gotta go)

GPU: GTX 980 (will be brought along for the moment and this is GPU number I lost count :P)

PSU: Corsair AX860 (RMA replacement for the 850 Originally, this is one deff coming along cause it is an excellent PSU)

SSD: Samsung 830 256GB (Coming along, yay for MLC SSDs cause they just last)

HD: WD Green 1TB (general backupish storage disk will also come along)

Case: 800D (I will NOT miss you biggest mistake of Rig 1.0 was this case)

Monitor: some ASUS 27inc 1080p 60hz thing (To be replaced, just not sure if I want 1440P 144hz or go 4K)

Rig 2.0:

CPU: Ryzen 7 1800X (Should last a good while)

Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 (I just like the clean nature of an AIO over a large tower cooler)

MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero (Nice bunch of features, love me some more USB ports and while not cheap it seems to be a nice board and my last ASUS board been excellent)

Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (Ram names are silly can we agree on that? Anyhow picked because it is supported by the MB)

GPU: GTX 980 (Is coming along for the moment will be replaced with the monitor at some point, kind of waiting on amd vega)

PSU: Corsair AX860 (As said excellent PSU so taking it with me)

SSD1: Samsung 830 256GB (windows + stuff)

SSD2: Samsung 840pro 512GB (Could snap up a cheap used one, again MLC cause I trust that)

HD: WD Green 1TB (Still same role of general backupish drive)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered glass Grey (Smaller, much better looking and better cooling)

Monitor: some ASUS 27inc 1080p 60hz thing (To be replaced, just not sure if I want 1440P 144hz or go 4K)

So budget wise I am looking at about 1250EUR to buy all the new parts not yet brought and excluding the Monitor+GPU upgrade which I expect will be about a 1000 as well depend or not if I can get a good deal on a second hand monitor. In general I am keeping an eye on second hand stuff cause saving some money really would not hurt. Yes I know stuff is quite expensive as was my first rig which I think costed me about 2200EUR back in the day, but it has lasted me a long time without failing and honestly I think I could pull an other year or two out of it. However I really don't want to, cause I am just done with it and I can still recoup about 200-300 for the MB+CPU+RAM+Case.

Use wise I plan to use it as I do today for gaming, some editing work and general use. Games you are looking at anything from Overwatch to Star Citizen with the later being more important :P. I am open for any advice/critque and also suggestions regarding monitor+GPU combination and no I am not planning on going VR until we are at least into the second generation and things have matured a little. Peripherals wise I am more than fine so those are a none issue which is nice cause I can only stretch the budget so far :). Like Rig 1.0 to 1.4 I plan for this rig to last me an other 5 years with really only an GPU upgrade or two along the way.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

Agree with your decisions, looks like a solid build so far. 

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

It's a solid build. You could go with an 1800 or 1700X if you need to save a bit of money.

11 minutes ago, 1kv said:

It's a solid build. You could go with an 1800 or 1700X if you need to save a bit of money.

Ya mean 1700x or 1700? There is no 1800

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

3 minutes ago, pelark said:

Ya mean 1700x or 1700? There is no 1800

Oh yeah sorry about that.

I'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to AMD. 

Just now, 1kv said:

Oh yeah sorry about that.

I'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to AMD. 

No worries dude :P 

Main

Peripherals

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

Asus E403SA

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

Are you buying windows 10 at all? Or did you upgrade to windows 10 and you are moving the same SSD across to the new system with all your stuff on it?

I am not 100% sure if the licencing will work if you have OEM version, maybe retail windows 10 will work you will want to do a fresh install though so might as well put the OS and games on a newer faster SSD and have the old one, or buy a cheap m.2 sata SSD which will be faster I know the 950evo m.2 is a little pricey but could just fir your budget

50 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Thought about it, but I wanted to get the best out of it both for performance and endurance.

Just now, lawrencep93 said:

Are you buying windows 10 at all? Or did you upgrade to windows 10 and you are moving the same SSD across to the new system with all your stuff on it?

I am not 100% sure if the licencing will work if you have OEM version, maybe retail windows 10 will work you will want to do a fresh install though so might as well put the OS and games on a newer faster SSD and have the old one, or buy a cheap m.2 sata SSD which will be faster I know the 950evo m.2 is a little pricey but could just fir your budget

I know it is likely not to work, but meh a OEM download is cheap enough so it is a case of try and if it does not work it does not work :P

SSD wise really the 830 is still plenty fast and I just have not found a situation where I need more speed from my SSD. If that happens the MB has an M.2 slot so it is a case of plugging one in down the road when this happens. And well I have both those SSDs any other ones no matter their pricing would add to the budget.

"Hope, what a concept." - Deunan Knute

5 hours ago, Carde said:

Thought about it, but I wanted to get the best out of it both for performance and endurance.

Overclocking is a thing ;) Seriously you should easily hit 3.8GHz maybe more depending on the cpu. The 1800X is already pretty much maxed out at 4GHz. An extra 200Mhz - 300MHz isn't worth the price increase.