Which GTX 1080 ti to get? Also, is it worth getting?

Bleedingyamato

I think I'm between the OC version of the ASUS Strix card, the two Aorus Gigabyte cards, and the EVGA FTW3.  

I'm not really sure what the difference between the Gigabyte cards is.  One just says Aorus Xtreme.  Is it just a little higher speed?

Anyway, which card should I get?    Noise and temperature being concerns.  Also possible coil whine.  

Insight from people who own these cards would be helpful.  Benchmarks too if people have found comparisons or other useful info.  

My other concern is: is a 1080 ti worth getting?

I thought I'd heard people on here commenting about a 980 ti not being worth it since it wasn't as long as would've been preferable before the 1070 was released and gave equivalent performance for a lot less money.  

Idk approximately when the next generation of Nvidia cards is likely to be released so I'm not sure if it might be smarter to suck it up and wait.  

Wait for Vega to be honest. Like the guy above me said, right now Nvidia is charging 700+ for their flagship which is a complete joke. Don't drop that kind of dough on a GPU when it's value will tank a good $100-$200 within a years time.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

The 1080Ti is a really powerful card, with little to no compromises. Getting this card requires a few things.

Only buy this card if you:

1. Play in 4K.
  2. 1440p high refresh
  3. Content creator on daily basis

Don't even bother getting this for a 1080p high refresh gaming. A normal 1080 will handle that just fine, most games around 100fps, so getting a 1080Ti for that is just a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned. Vega and Volta are still far away, so I recommend getting a card now. They will still have good resale values in case you want to change later.

About manufactures.... All is good. At this PricePoint, every card is premium, with special fans, countless heatpipes, etc. Buy whitchever you like the most / fits in your build. For silence, I suggest any card with 3 fans, as they tend to cool better. With PrecisionBoost, every card overlocks on its own to high speeds, so you might be good by getting a Founders card, then watercool it.

38 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

IMO wait for Vega - wait for Nvidia to have some actual competition and then make your decision.

While I'm not entirely opposed to AMD I'd prefer to stick with Nvidia whether a current or future generation.  

31 minutes ago, Howitz said:

Go Vegan :P tudum tss

Sorry.  I need my green meat.  ?

30 minutes ago, thewipyk said:

The 1080Ti is a really powerful card, with little to no compromises. Getting this card requires a few things.

Only buy this card if you:

1. Play in 4K.
  2. 1440p high refresh
  3. Content creator on daily basis

Don't even bother getting this for a 1080p high refresh gaming. A normal 1080 will handle that just fine, most games around 100fps, so getting a 1080Ti for that is just a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned. Vega and Volta are still far away, so I recommend getting a card now. They will still have good resale values in case you want to change later.

About manufactures.... All is good. At this PricePoint, every card is premium, with special fans, countless heatpipes, etc. Buy whitchever you like the most / fits in your build. For silence, I suggest any card with 3 fans, as they tend to cool better. With PrecisionBoost, every card overlocks on its own to high speeds, so you might be good by getting a Founders card, then watercool it.

I do plan to get a 4K tv and/or monitor as soon as possible so whether this or a future Nvidia card would be meant to allow for better 4K PC gaming than my 1070 would allow for.  

I'm not brave enough to perform surgery on a graphics card or to use water cooling in my main desktop either btw.  ?

7 minutes ago, Speaker1264 said:

Buy Vega :)

So many Vega votes.  ?

if you budget is that high why dont you get evga gtx 1080ti and water cool it coz temp. and noise are your concerns and you can even overclock without worrying abt temp. .

22 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So many Vega votes.  ?

If you can wait, then hold out for Vega, but I expect it to be about stock 1080 performance, I really do, which is bad. I expect the higher end version to be better than most ti's, but don't think it will release this year, this Vega thing is just getting pushed back too much. There has to be a reason. The video I saw today showed it's clock around 1200, and benchmarks between the 1070 and 1080. Could have been fake for click bait, but over a year late for a launch is pretty odd.

If not, the Aorus. The difference in the Gigabyte Aorus is it draws 150% of the power a normal GTX does, compared to the 120-125% the others do. That leads to the highest overclocks (and I believe highest clock out of the box). If I am not mistaken, the AORUS Extreme is just overclocked higher out of the box, but the ceiling on a manual over clock is no higher.

The ONLY time you will notice this is when playing games like GR Wildlands (New graphic intense games) in 1440p on Ultra with a 144 refresh rate. Normally, this boost will not be noticed. Again, in 4k on Ultra if you want a steady 60 this, again, is needed, but you better have a 7700k oc'd to 4.9 or so to achieve such crazy gaming.

Hope I helped.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

snip

3 words.

Radeon RX VEGA :D.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

any reasons you would'nt want to go AMD? I mean, most of the time they have better bang for bucks, which to me is just a plus lol, also depending on your monitor, if you get a freesync one instead of a gsync one you save even more $$$.

AMD is competition and when AMD is not around, Nvidia tend to quickly turn into Ngreedia. And trust me, they all are as reliable hardware and driver wise, both AMD and Nvidia got their problems at one point or another in time and both will still have new problems in the future, such is the world of electronics :P

9 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

So many Vega votes.  ?

Because they don't know how Vega performs, so they imagine LOL

VERY doubtful any Vega card will match a 1080ti, that's the exact reason Nvidia went through the trouble of outing their previous Titan X. The waiting game is fine if that's your thing, but Volta is due Q3, then you'll have the Volta Titan, and Volta ti on the horizon.

So wait, or live. Your choice ;) me I'd go with a Hybrid 1080ti.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

4 minutes ago, Howitz said:

any reasons you would'nt want to go AMD? I mean, most of the time they have better bang for bucks, which to me is just a plus lol, also depending on your monitor, if you get a freesync one instead of a gsync one you save even more $$$.

AMD is competition and when AMD is not around, Nvidia tend to quickly turn into Ngreedia. And trust me, they all are as reliable hardware and driver wise, both AMD and Nvidia got their problems at one point or another in time and both will still have new problems in the future, such is the world of electronics :P

Only wait if you can affor to wait 2 weeks to 2 month to an actual card to show up. According to  rumors, even here at LTT forums, the new card will compete against the 1080, not the 1080Ti nor the TitanXp2. Yes, AMD is the best bang for the buck, but it won't do OP any good if OP wants to play GhostRecon in 4K. 

6 minutes ago, Howitz said:

Dudes looking at a 1080ti, why would he want bang for the buck bottom half of the performance stack? 

To many AMD hype train passengers. I do understand waiting to see where Vega would sit a few months ago when the 1080ti dropped. But now I think from the recent leaks its exactly what I thought it would be. Better than a 1070, far short of a 1080 and light years behind the 1080ti. 

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

10 hours ago, jasonc_01 said:

Dudes looking at a 1080ti, why would he want bang for the buck bottom half of the performance stack? 

To many AMD hype train passengers. I do understand waiting to see where Vega would sit a few months ago when the 1080ti dropped. But now I think from the recent leaks its exactly what I thought it would be. Better than a 1070, far short of a 1080 and light years behind the 1080ti. 

It will be ahead of the 1080.  We'll see how close it comes to the 1080ti.

1. Do you have disposable income? Aka your financial position will not be compromised at all, or at minimal, after purchasing this card

2. Will you be content even if better graphics card comes out within like next two months?

3. Do you have a monitor at or above 1440P resolution? Or perhaps enjoy DSR?

If you can CONFIDENTLY answer yes to all of those questions, I suppose you are fine with buying 1080ti. If not, don't look at it anymore. You are just tempting yourself on getting it and regretting.

With pascal, it seems that all 1080ti's pretty much all perform the same except for the founders edition. So look more at company policy then, personally I would say get the cheapest EVGA 1080ti you can.

On May 1, 2017 at 2:16 AM, Krishna Dev said:

if you budget is that high why dont you get evga gtx 1080ti and water cool it coz temp. and noise are your concerns and you can even overclock without worrying abt temp. .

I'm not quite ready to trust water cooling in my main desktop for now sorry. 

On May 1, 2017 at 2:21 AM, crzyces said:

If you can wait, then hold out for Vega, but I expect it to be about stock 1080 performance, I really do, which is bad. I expect the higher end version to be better than most ti's, but don't think it will release this year, this Vega thing is just getting pushed back too much. There has to be a reason. The video I saw today showed it's clock around 1200, and benchmarks between the 1070 and 1080. Could have been fake for click bait, but over a year late for a launch is pretty odd.

If not, the Aorus. The difference in the Gigabyte Aorus is it draws 150% of the power a normal GTX does, compared to the 120-125% the others do. That leads to the highest overclocks (and I believe highest clock out of the box). If I am not mistaken, the AORUS Extreme is just overclocked higher out of the box, but the ceiling on a manual over clock is no higher.

The ONLY time you will notice this is when playing games like GR Wildlands (New graphic intense games) in 1440p on Ultra with a 144 refresh rate. Normally, this boost will not be noticed. Again, in 4k on Ultra if you want a steady 60 this, again, is needed, but you better have a 7700k oc'd to 4.9 or so to achieve such crazy gaming.

Hope I helped.

I could wait a while longer if I really wanted to.  I still need to wait until I get paid back some money a friend owes me before I could buy either a 4K TV or monitor.  So part of me is considering waiting until I could get both a 1080 ti and a TV or monitor at the same time. 

My 6700K isn't OC'd.  You're saying it would need to be for 4K?

On May 1, 2017 at 3:03 AM, AluminiumTech said:

3 words.

Radeon RX VEGA :D.

You think it'll be better?

23 hours ago, Howitz said:

From what I've seen of the current gen AMD and Nvidia cards appearance I much prefer Nvidia.  

Also, I've already got the drivers installed and GFE too.  I'm used to using them and I trust that they work well and don't have problems.  

I don't have the same familiarity with AMD and I'm looking for as simple of an upgrade as possible. 

23 hours ago, App4that said:

Because they don't know how Vega performs, so they imagine LOL

VERY doubtful any Vega card will match a 1080ti, that's the exact reason Nvidia went through the trouble of outing their previous Titan X. The waiting game is fine if that's your thing, but Volta is due Q3, then you'll have the Volta Titan, and Volta ti on the horizon.

So wait, or live. Your choice ;) me I'd go with a Hybrid 1080ti.

If I didn't get a 1080 ti I'd probably be fine with a Volta equivalent of a 1080.  So I guess that would be an 1180?

Which months are Q3?  

What about the hybrid interests you?

8 hours ago, StormEye said:

1. Do you have disposable income? Aka your financial position will not be compromised at all, or at minimal, after purchasing this card

2. Will you be content even if better graphics card comes out within like next two months?

3. Do you have a monitor at or above 1440P resolution? Or perhaps enjoy DSR?

If you can CONFIDENTLY answer yes to all of those questions, I suppose you are fine with buying 1080ti. If not, don't look at it anymore. You are just tempting yourself on getting it and regretting.

I saved up extra money for a new card so yes I could spend it freely no problem there.

You think Vega will be better? 

I don't currently have a 4K TV or monitor but I have plans to buy one of those soon.  

7 hours ago, Isvan said:

With pascal, it seems that all 1080ti's pretty much all perform the same except for the founders edition. So look more at company policy then, personally I would say get the cheapest EVGA 1080ti you can.

EVGA does tempt me but I'm not sure how I feel about the appearance of their 1080 ti coolers.  Sometimes I think they look fine.  Other times they look a bit iffy to me.  

On 01/05/2017 at 7:13 AM, Orangeator said:

Wait for Vega to be honest. Like the guy above me said, right now Nvidia is charging 700+ for their flagship which is a complete joke. Don't drop that kind of dough on a GPU when it's value will tank a good $100-$200 within a years time.

That's a bit of an exaggeration...

my bad i thought it said "to 100-200"

16 hours ago, Speaker1264 said:

It will be ahead of the 1080.  We'll see how close it comes to the 1080ti.

Yeah and Ryzen will beat intel in gaming, Oh wait......

CPU | Intel i9-10850K | GPU | EVGA 3080ti FTW3 HYBRID  | CASE | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU | Corsair HX850i | RAM | 2x8GB G.skill Trident RGB 3000MHz | MOTHERBOARD | Asus Z490E Strix | STORAGE | Adata XPG 256GB NVME + Adata XPG 1T + WD Blue 1TB + Adata 480GB SSD | COOLING | Evga CLC280 | MONITOR | Acer Predator XB271HU | OS | Windows 10 |

9 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

You think Vega will be better? 

No I don't think so.

It is just a question you have to ask yourself every time you buy top tier card nowadays. You cannot expect anymore that nVIDIA will hold your hand and assure you that your card will be seated high in the throne for long periods of time these days.

My guess having seen what's leaked is September, but who really know when Volta will really hit. Plus todays record stock price plummet from AMD doesn't place much preasure on Nvidia to release Volta.

I'm a Hybrid fan, Ha, funny. *cough* Because They run cooler than cards on a full loop, are cheaper than a card and block, and allow for easier access and removal. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.