Is This $500 PC Worth It

Kilo One
Just now, Sanctorum said:

Post some proof maybe? It's not going to bottleneck at all. Yes, an i5 or i7 will perform better, but that's because they're better CPUs. A G4560 isn't going to bottleneck. Regardless, it's all he'll get within his budget. Plus, a G4560 and RX 480/580 will easily handle GTA V at high-very high settings with 60+ FPS.

He's also playing titles other than just GTA V. You claimed the G4560 will "bottleneck hardcore" but in BF1, with an RX 480/580, it'll perform within 10% of an unlocked i5, or locked i7.

In any sort of CPU intensive game, the Pentium will bottleneck pretty hard. It's a Pentium. Plus, it's only dual core, and there's some games that won't work/are unplayable with anything less than quad core.

And I know this. But GTA V is a pretty damn demanding game. And lmao you're saying it won't bottleneck hardcore in BF1? That game is probably the most CPU intensive AAA shooter out there.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

5 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

In any sort of CPU intensive game, the Pentium will bottleneck pretty hard. It's a Pentium. Plus, it's only dual core, and there's some games that won't work/are unplayable with anything less than quad core.

And I know this. But GTA V is a pretty damn demanding game. And lmao you're saying it won't bottleneck hardcore in BF1? That game is probably the most CPU intensive AAA shooter out there.

So, where's that proof then? That thread you linked with some guys saying "yeah" isn't proof lmao. "It's a Pentium" means literally nothing. That's not even an argument. It's a dual core with HT, like i3's, and i3's are perfectly fine for gaming. 

Exactly, GTA V is a pretty demanding game, not really indicative of performance for gaming since it's one of the more demanding games. That part about some games not working at all is just incorrect entirely. You're talking about old games, like Far Cry 4 and one of the CoD's, Advanced Warfare I think it was. Which yes, did not work on dual cores. They did however work on CPUs with 4 threads, like i3's, or the Pentium G4560. Regardless, it wasn't a real issue for dual thread CPUs anyway since there are work arounds.

Oh, as for BF1, yeah, I'm saying it won't bottleneck "hardcore";

Oh, and the thread you linked that you think is proof, well, if you actually read the article linked there and look at the performance chart;

8ahNKXNwcCiQCmcZFmLqFD-650-80.png

G4560 pretty much matches an overclocked 5930k lmfao, where's that bottlenecking you were talking about?

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

1 hour ago, Sanctorum said:

So, where's that proof then? That thread you linked with some guys saying "yeah" isn't proof lmao. "It's a Pentium" means literally nothing. That's not even an argument. It's a dual core with HT, like i3's, and i3's are perfectly fine for gaming. 

Exactly, GTA V is a pretty demanding game, not really indicative of performance for gaming since it's one of the more demanding games. That part about some games not working at all is just incorrect entirely. You're talking about old games, like Far Cry 4 and one of the CoD's, Advanced Warfare I think it was. Which yes, did not work on dual cores. They did however work on CPUs with 4 threads, like i3's, or the Pentium G4560. Regardless, it wasn't a real issue for dual thread CPUs anyway since there are work arounds.

Oh, as for BF1, yeah, I'm saying it won't bottleneck "hardcore";

Oh, and the thread you linked that you think is proof, well, if you actually read the article linked there and look at the performance chart;

8ahNKXNwcCiQCmcZFmLqFD-650-80.png

G4560 pretty much matches an overclocked 5930k lmfao, where's that bottlenecking you were talking about?

Nice try tho. It's bottlenecking even a 470.

/thread

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

5 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Nice try tho. It's bottlenecking even a 470.

/thread

Oh yeah, nice obscure video for proof buddy lmfao. Shame the video from a reputable channel disproves your claim, as does the article in the thread you linked. 

Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz | Asus Maximus VII Hero | NZXT Kraken X61 | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro(Red) @ 1866MHz | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 250GB Samsung 850-EVO | 2- way SLI Asus Strix GTX 970's @ 1500MHz | EVGA 750W G2 | NZXT H440(black/red) | 3x120mm Sharkoon Shark Blade fans(red) | 3x140mm Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 fans |

16 hours ago, Kilo One said:

Guys I thinks I have done it, The ultimate $500 thanks to all of the feedback out there:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2P9Rbj

here you have it

Looks like a good build, mate. 

And @N1ghtshade and @Sanctorum, You guys need to cool it. You're clogging up the thread with info that will just confuse the OP.  

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

16 hours ago, Kilo One said:

Guys I thinks I have done it, The ultimate $500 thanks to all of the feedback out there:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2P9Rbj

here you have it

Solid build, good bit of upgradability for the future too, good luck w/ the build

Current System Specs:

CPU: Intel I5-7660K; CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212X; Thermal Paste: IC Diamond 7 Carat; Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon;

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8gb) DDR4 - 2400; SSD Storage: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO; Storage: 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm;

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1070 8gb G1 Gaming; Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black; PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W 80+ Gold, OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

-snip-

Dude! Stop! The OP can't afford an i5, so it being the better choice is not relevant. 

Just now, Sanctorum said:

-snip-

Please, just stop arguing the point. 

If neither of you responds, the other can't argue. It takes two to fight. 

And please know that I'm not trying to be all Mr. Goody-two-shoes on you. There's no problem with going off on a rabbit trail for fun, but you guys are getting pretty heated and adding a bunch of angst to the thread. Just calm down, step away from your computer, and stop arguing! 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

enough of the off-topic challenges. we are here to help the OP, not your egos.

this thread went 25 comments with no help to the OP, just blah,blah, blah arguments.. 

so helpy the OP, no argueing with the community.

On 4/24/2017 at 3:26 PM, Orangeator said:

Battlefield 1 and GTA V are pretty damn demanding games lol. The 480 will run them well at 1080p... BUT, the Pentium will bottleneck it hard in the two games previously mentioned.

the processors pretty damn good I've heard... but I'm getting ready to make 2 builds with it soon so...

MY MAIN BUILD AT FATHERS HOUSE!

Spoiler

CPU: AMD FX-8300 3.3GHz 8-Core Processor CPU COOLER:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

RAM: 32gb ddr3

Hard Drive:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Graphics Card:  MSI Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 Radeon RX 470 ARMOR 4G OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Case: Rosewill TYRFING ATX Mid Tower Case

Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

Case Fans:  Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fan (PLUS THE STOCK CASE FAN)

Monitor:  Asus VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor

Keyboard:  Thermaltake CHALLENGER PRIME Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse:  MSI Interceptor DS B1 Wired Optical Mouse

Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers