Overkill all-purpose pc

1 minute ago, DND said:

Yes the only thing I can think of reason getting that kind of ssd is for the pcie speed. I'm not really familiar with NVME yet so i can't say that much, Correct me if i have missed some information.

NVMe has a high bandwidth.  If you're transferring huge files, it can be waaaaaay faster than SATA.  However, when you're running Windows (or any programs) off of it, you won't necessarily see any benefit.  The speed that it reads 4KB files is the only real representation of how fast your OS/programs will perform.  For most drives (SATA and NVMe alike), it's around 25MB/s.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

do you have the RAM? if not i noticed that it has no price on PCPP so i replaced it in my build, basically ignore it if you have it already. changed PSU to an actiually good one, cut the fans and fan controller seeing as they dont really offer any benefit over looking good and produce a load of noice. the USB wifi card is questionable seeing as wifi tends to be utter garbage for anything other then casual browsing and video streaming. i kept two of the fans asuming you would replace the ones on the cooler, if not cut them out aswell. replaced the pretty shitty NVME SSD with a good quality SATA one, there isnt much of a benefit with going with NVME unless you are doing 4K video edeting or similar. you could get a better screen for the budget you i know jack shit about screens so make someone else help you with that lol. anyway here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBNYzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBNYzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($469.98 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($158.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($219.99 @ Corsair) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($107.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($699.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($103.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Netgear A6210-100PAS USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($38.79 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 140 Air Pressure 82.2 CFM  140mm Fan  ($9.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 140 Air Pressure 82.2 CFM  140mm Fan  ($9.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($199.00 @ B&H) 
Mouse: Logitech G402 Wired Optical Mouse  ($51.61 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Sony MDR-7506  Headphones  ($99.99 @ Adorama) 
Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30W 2.1ch Speakers  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Livewire Essential Interconnect Cable 3.5 mm TRS Male to XLR Male Right Angle ($13.99)
Other: Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer and USB Audio Interface ($49.99)
Total: $2628.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-24 13:25 EDT-0400

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 minutes ago, typographie said:

I still see the same one. Did you update your link?

did now

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

NVMe has a high bandwidth.  If you're transferring huge files, it can be waaaaaay faster than SATA.  However, when you're running Windows (or any programs) off of it, you won't necessarily see any benefit.  The speed that it reads 4KB files is the only real representation of how fast your OS/programs will perform.  For most drives (SATA and NVMe alike), it's around 25MB/s.

Thanks for clearing it out of for me. 

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

do you have the RAM? if not i noticed that it has no price on PCPP so i replaced it in my build, basically ignore it if you have it already. changed PSU to an actiually good one, cut the fans and fan controller seeing as they dont really offer any benefit over looking good and produce a load of noice. the USB wifi card is questionable seeing as wifi tends to be utter garbage for anything other then casual browsing and video streaming. i kept two of the fans asuming you would replace the ones on the cooler, if not cut them out aswell. replaced the pretty shitty NVME SSD with a good quality SATA one, there isnt much of a benefit with going with NVME unless you are doing 4K video edeting or similar. you could get a better screen for the budget you i know jack shit about screens so make someone else help you with that lol. anyway here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBNYzM
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hBNYzM/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1800X 3.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($469.98 @ NCIX US) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($158.49 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($219.99 @ Corsair) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($107.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($699.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($103.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($46.88 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($88.58 @ OutletPC) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Netgear A6210-100PAS USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($38.79 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer GN246HL 24.0" 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor  ($199.00 @ B&H) 
Mouse: Logitech G402 Wired Optical Mouse  ($51.61 @ Amazon) 
Headphones: Sony MDR-7506  Headphones  ($99.99 @ Adorama) 
Speakers: Cyber Acoustics CA-3602 30W 2.1ch Speakers  ($39.99 @ Amazon) 
Other: Livewire Essential Interconnect Cable 3.5 mm TRS Male to XLR Male Right Angle ($13.99)
Other: Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer and USB Audio Interface ($49.99)
Total: $2628.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-24 13:25 EDT-0400

i need the fan controller because i don't have enough mobo fan headers, and usb wifi cause i wanna run my 1080 ti in 16x pci, nd only 16 lanes are dedicated to pci cards (the other 8 are for usb, m.2, and sata

I think this system would be so much better:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fDpQ9W
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fDpQ9W/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.2GHz 22-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($1756.00 @ Amazon)
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.2GHz 22-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($1756.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($57.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10DAX EATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($439.72 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 64GB (4 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($615.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston 64GB (4 x 16GB) Registered DDR4-2133 Memory  ($615.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 4TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($1497.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: NVIDIA Titan Xp 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($1599.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA Titan Xp 12GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  ($1599.99 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! Dark Base 900 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case  ($199.90 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($394.99 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12D2HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($112.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Monitor: Dell UP2715K 27.0" 5120x2880 60Hz Monitor  ($1569.31 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB PLATINUM Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 Wired Laser Mouse  ($79.99 @ Corsair)
Headphones: Sennheiser HD800  Headphones  ($1399.95 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Audioengine A5+ Black 100W 2ch Speakers  ($399.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $29209.31

But in all seriousness. Like the others said, try upgrading the memory so you would have more storage. I also prefer PCI-e based wireless adapter because I find they have better range and are less likely to brake. They also don't need a 16x slot. Neither the 1080ti nor the wifi card is going to use that much bandwidth. Your system bus can handle all that data.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

7 minutes ago, Watermace said:

did now

The Corsair RMx looks fine, though I think you could go with the 650 Watt version to cheapen it up a bit. Unless you want to leave room for SLI, or something.

The EVGA G3 listed above is also a great choice.

Just now, typographie said:

The Corsair RMx looks fine, though I think you could go with the 650 Watt version to cheapen it up a bit. Unless you want to leave room for SLI, or something.

The EVGA G3 listed above is also a great choice.

I'm leaving a lot of head room for expansion cards (if i decide to get something like a thunderbolt or a sound card) and room for drives (i plan on just throwing all of my drives, which is 6) 

1 minute ago, Watermace said:

i need the fan controller because i don't have enough mobo fan headers, and usb wifi cause i wanna run my 1080 ti in 16x pci, nd only 16 lanes are dedicated to pci cards (the other 8 are for usb, m.2, and sata

well you dont need the fan controller if you cut the fans seeing as they wont give you much of any temperature improvement, maybe a degree or two but i doubt much more then that. for the PCI lanes, you will not see any preformance degrade at running 8X for the GPU if thats what its going to be, at max i would expect 1fps differance. also WiFi is IMO pretty shit if you are going to be playing ANY games or doing heay file transfers so just get an Ethernet cable.... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well you dont need the fan controller if you cut the fans seeing as they wont give you much of any temperature improvement, maybe a degree or two but i doubt much more then that. for the PCI lanes, you will not see any preformance degrade at running 8X for the GPU if thats what its going to be, at max i would expect 1fps differance. also WiFi is IMO pretty shit if you are going to be playing ANY games or doing heay file transfers so just get an Ethernet cable.... 

yeah, im using Ethernet for pretty much everything. I want to refresh the air in my case as much as possible cause my desk doesn't have the greatest ventilation.

I'm leaving a lot of head room for expansion cards (if i decide to get something like a thunderbolt or a sound card) and room for drives (i plan on just throwing all of my drives, which is 6) 

Just to give you some perspective, you're looking at maybe 400–450 Watts of actual draw at max load with this system. That's a lot by the standards of the day, actually, but a 650 Watt PSU still gives you quite a bit of headroom. It's up to you if you want to spend a bit more for peace of mind, but I don't think there's a reason to do unless you plan to add a second video card.

Some data: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

yeah, im using Ethernet for pretty much everything. I want to refresh the air in my case as much as possible cause my desk doesn't have the greatest ventilation.

whatever with the fans, i doubt they will change much either way but if you want them then keep them i guess. if you are already using ethernet then why even bother with WiFi though? also for the PSU there are cheaper options that will also be good if you want a 750W PSU, like the EVGA G3 750W which is a bit cheaper. the one you have in the list now is good though

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, typographie said:

Just to give you some perspective, you're looking at maybe 400–450 Watts of actual draw at max load with this system. That's a lot by the standards of the day, actually, but a 650 Watt PSU still gives you quite a bit of headroom. It's up to you if you want to spend a bit more for peace of mind, but I don't think there's a reason to do unless you plan to add a second video card.

Some data: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

maybe pcpartpickers tdp calculator is bad, but it says 500 at load ( and that doesn't include my drives, audio equipment, and usb stuff) 

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

whatever with the fans, i doubt they will change much either way but if you want them then keep them i guess. if you are already using ethernet then why even bother with WiFi though? also for the PSU there are cheaper options that will also be good if you want a 750W PSU, like the EVGA G3 750W which is a bit cheaper. the one you have in the list now is good though

the wifi is more of a temporary thing, my house old and isn't configured for wired internet, so i still need to run and terminate an Ethernet cable. 

Just now, Watermace said:

maybe pcpartpickers tdp calculator is bad, but it says 500 at load ( and that doesn't include my drives, audio equipment, and usb stuff) 

Power calculators can only give you an estimation. What I linked above is actual measured power draw for a whole system (the specifics of which were listed under "The Test" here) running those tasks. I actually think their numbers may be a slight overestimation versus your PC, due to their i7-4960X.

As I said, you can choose to spend extra if you want and I won't judge you for it, it's just a place where you can save a bit of money if you want to. It's probably a fairly small difference in the grand scheme of this build.

the wifi is more of a temporary thing, my house old and isn't configured for wired internet, so i still need to run and terminate an Ethernet cable. 

ok, then i can understand it. anyway just make sure to get that ethernet cable in when you can seeing as WiFi is from my experience not very nice to use

Builds:

Spoiler

On the fans, I think you should consider dropping the 120mm ones.  Past 3 fans, tests show it makes little to no difference.  On top of that, it already comes with one 140mm and one 200mm fan.  Your computer is going to be incredibly noisy, even when they're all running at the lowest speeds.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

On the fans, I think you should consider dropping the 120mm ones.  Past 3 fans, tests show it makes little to no difference.  On top of that, it already comes with one 140mm and one 200mm fan.  Your computer is going to be incredibly noisy, even when they're all running at the lowest speeds.

The 120's are gonna be hooked up to my 5.25" fan controller, along with the 140 sp fans. I can completely shut those off when it gets too loud, but the 120's are for my copious amount of hdd's, and the 140's are for a push-pull config on my radiator. Because the fan hub has manual control, i can adjust for heat and performance on my own

The 120's are gonna be hooked up to my 5.25" fan controller, along with the 140 sp fans. I can completely shut those off when it gets too loud, but the 120's are for my copious amount of hdd's, and the 140's are for a push-pull config on my radiator. Because the fan hub has manual control, i can adjust for heat and performance on my own

Hard drives don't get hot enough for it to matter.  The fans have no performance benefit there.

It's your computer of course, just want to let you know.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

Hard drives don't get hot enough for it to matter.  The fans have no performance benefit there.

It's your computer of course, just want to let you know.

i was more worried about the rest of the system. The hdd cage is right behind the 200 mil fan, and i just wanted to help it move some air through the drives. Will that matter?

2 minutes ago, Watermace said:

i was more worried about the rest of the system. The hdd cage is right behind the 200 mil fan, and i just wanted to help it move some air through the drives. Will that matter?

Not even a little bit.  Take a look at this:

And watch this on the count:

It's not universal, but having 7 giant fans probably isn't going to be any different than having 4.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Not even a little bit.  Take a look at this:

seen it, does that apply to hard drives too?

seen it, does that apply to hard drives too?

Yes.  Hard drives are going to be less obstructive than half the crap he put in there.

I still spend a long time on cable management just because I want it to look nice, but adding drives over the years and getting tangled wires (before redoing the setup) hasn't changed my temps at all.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yes.  Hard drives are going to be less obstructive than half the crap he put in there.

I still spend a long time on cable management just because I want it to look nice, but adding drives over the years and getting tangled wires (before redoing the setup) hasn't changed my temps at all.

okay, ill buy it without, but in the future i wanna investigate that. In the past, I've found cooling improves with hdd fans