Best Over-ear Headphones for around £50 (UK)

Oshino Shinobu

So, my Audio Technica MSR-7s are on the way out after the left ear cup has snapped off the headband. I've fixed it temporarily with some superglue and tape, but that will only last for so long. I don't have the spare money right now to get another pair as a replacement, so I'm looking for something to tide me over until I can afford to replace them properly. 

I have a budget of around £50, with about £65 being my absolute maximum. I use them for pretty much all types of media consumption, so a good all-rounder is what I'm looking for. 

Right now I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M30X at around £55. 

If possible, I'd prefer them to be on Amazon as I have Prime and would like to get them by Monday. 

16 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Right now I'm looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M30X at around £55. 

that's your best bet. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

if you are going to be a troll at least be a decent troll. 

All joking aside, I've actually heard the Air Pods are pretty good. Obviously not going to be compete with over-ear ones of a comparable price, but still. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

that's your best bet. 

Might just pull the trigger on them. I'll eventually get another pair of MSR-7s or something from Beyer Dynamic's DT line anyway.

well this really depends on how long you will have to use them, if its just for a few weeks then id just grab a cheap pair of some rando brand but if its a month or more then get the ones you are looking at. i am just fine with crappy over ear headphones most of the time but then getting home and putting on my HD558's is so much nicer lol. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

well this really depends on how long you will have to use them, if its just for a few weeks then id just grab a cheap pair of some rando brand but if its a month or more then get the ones you are looking at. i am just fine with crappy over ear headphones most of the time but then getting home and putting on my HD558's is so much nicer lol. 

Well, they will only be my main pair for a few weeks, but I'll be using them for pretty much everything other than on my desktop once I get another good pair. I used my MSR-7s for 4+ hours pretty much everyday for the time I've had them (about 2 years I think), so I feel like having another decent pair for using on my phone and away from my PC is worth it, rather than going for a cheapo pair and then just using the MSR-7s for everything again. 

Look at ebay. I picked up a pair of MDR v6 (MDR 7506) for only 40 bucks and got new pads for it for a grand total of 60 bucks. I got DT990's for $95 that were only used once and had all packaging and manuals. There really isn't much to break on headphones, and pads are generally quite cheap if you think it's gross to use used ones.

Headphones:

Spoiler

Sony MDR V6 (DT 250 pads), restored 1987 AKG K240M 600ohm (Cosmos pads with dt250 filters), AKG K7XX, Beyerdynamic DT990 pro 250 ohm, Bose Ae2 & Sony MDR v150. All off of a Bravo V2 shuguang tube, Little Dot mkII with GE JAN 5654 tubes, a CEntrance Dacport slim and a UCA222.

PC:

Spoiler
  • CPU
    i7 6700k
  • Motherboard
    Asus Z170s
  • RAM
    Crucial Ballistix (white)
  • GPU
    Asus 1070 Strix OC
  • Case
    Phanteks P400
  • Storage
    Samsung 850 pro, Seagate barracuda 1tb
  • PSU
    Evga G1 650W (regret)
  • Display(s)
    Samsung S22D300 21.5" 1920x1080 60hz 5ms & ASUS PB277Q 27" 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Deepcool Captain 240EX white
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G810
  • Mouse
    Logitech G502
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 (switching to linux soon)

Just now, Pauleh said:

Look at ebay. I picked up a pair of MDR v6 (MDR 7506) for only 40 bucks and got new pads for it for a grand total of 60 bucks. I got DT990's for $95 that were only used once and had all packaging and manuals. There really isn't much to break on headphones, and pads are generally quite cheap if you think it's gross to use used ones.

Given how these are going to be a temporary main pair and then just a secondary pair, I'm not really fussed about them being excellent. I'd just rather buy headphones new as I know how grotty they can become and you never know what kind of head they've been on before, even if you replace the pads, the head band has still been in contact. 

I might have a quick look for MSR-7s or Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s on eBay when I come to buying a new good pair, as they're £170 and £200 respectively, so I wouldn't mind getting them a bit cheaper if they're like new. Leaning more towards the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s as my next pair. I think they look better and they seem to have less that can break compared to the MSR-7s which use a plastic part on an area under a fair bit of pressure. 

2 minutes ago, Aytex said:

Are Koss PortaPro in your price range? I think they're better than the MDR 7506 as they sound a bit too harsh against the Portapro's

They are, but good lord they're ugly :D Even though it's somewhat of a silly reason, I don't think I could buy them based purely on how bad they look to me. I'm probably going to pick up a pair of M30Xs (and do something about that stupidly long cable), then get a pair of Momentum 2.0s in a few weeks