Ethernet Splitter

ripper101

I have an Xbox One on wifi and a PC on ethernet. If I were to get an ethernet splitter would that work just as fine as long as I was only stressing one of the cables at a time? 

What you're looking for is a switch, which will work well for what you're wanting to do. Pretty much any unmanaged gigabit switch will do the job. 

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

What you're looking for is a switch, which will work well for what you're wanting to do. Pretty much any unmanaged gigabit switch will do the job. 

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you want a switch, and yess that will work fine.

So it wouldn't impede full performance as long as I'm only using one at a time?

3 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

So it wouldn't impede full performance as long as I'm only using one at a time?

Even if you're using both at the time, it won't limit performance unless you're doing over 1Gbps combined over the cable that links the switch to the router. If you're not doing local transfers, it won't limit anything as the switch (assuming it's gigabit) is going to be at least as fast as your internet connection but most likely several times faster

EDIT: If we say, for example, your internet connection is 100Mbps, a Gigabit switch is capable of 10 times that bandwidth, so it's not going to limit it. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Even if you're using both at the time, it won't limit performance unless you're doing over 1Gbps combined over the cable that links the switch to the router. If you're not doing local transfers, it won't limit anything as the switch (assuming it's gigabit) is going to be at least as fast as your internet connection but most likely several times faster

So just to clarify, I can put one cable in this and have two come out? 

Would this work? https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-5-Port-Ethernet-Desktop-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1492900619&sr=1-4&keywords=ethernet+switch

Yes, that would work, but all the network ports on that switch are limited to 100mbps.  If you have an internet plan that gives you speeds higher than 100 mbps, you should go with a switch that has 1000mbps capable connectors.

You may also want to buy a switch with 1000mbps ports for future use, for example if you have a laptop and a computer connected to that switch you can transfer files faster between those two devices.

Just now, ripper101 said:

That's not really how you think of it. It doesn't take an input and split it, it acts as a sort of central hub, where all the connections are both inputs and outputs in their own regard, no link is preferred to others. 

The switch you linked is fast ethernet, which is 100Mbps. You want to go for a Gigabit switch because, really, there's no reason not to and it has 10x the bandwidth, so it's not going to limit anything. 

Go for something like this https://www.amazon.com/D-Link-5-Port-Unmanaged-Gigabit-GO-SW-5G/dp/B008PC1FYK/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492901192&sr=1-9&keywords=gigabit+switch

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Here's my internet

Cemv3ls.png

Here's something that's good and cheap: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042

Another good product is this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156259&ignorebbr=1

The above are 5 port switches, which means one cable goes to your router or cable modem and you have 4 connectors left to plug devices into.

For 8 ports, you have something like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127422&ignorebbr=1

or this : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122610&ignorebbr=1

(using newegg as it's easier to filter through products, you're using Amazon.com so I assume you're in US)

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yes I'm in US. So I don't really know how these work... If I wanted to connect two devices to the internet what do I plug into it? 

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Here's something that's good and cheap: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704042

Another good product is this one: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156259&ignorebbr=1

The above are 5 port switches, which means one cable goes to your router or cable modem and you have 4 connectors left to plug devices into.

For 8 ports, you have something like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127422&ignorebbr=1

or this : https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122610&ignorebbr=1

(using newegg as it's easier to filter through products, you're using Amazon.com so I assume you're in US)

my ISP uses those netgears for implementing stuff for their pleb customers, and some other customers act like plebs in order to get REALLY good switches for free :P

on the cheap that 5-port TP-Link would do good enough tho.

2 minutes ago, ripper101 said:

Yes I'm in US. So I don't really know how these work... If I wanted to connect two devices to the internet what do I plug into it? 

well.. if you buy a decent switch, you quite literally plug the cable that you already have into *any* of the ports, and use more cables to connect your devices to *any other* ports on the switch.

You use one network cable to make a connection between the switch and your cable modem / router / whatever your ISP gives you. It doesn't matter where you plug that cable but most people usually plug that cable into the jack numbered 1  or the one titled WAN if there is titled like that. 

Then you use network cables to make the connections between the devices and the switch, again it doesn't matter in which connector you plug the cables.

If it's too hard to understand think of it like a power strip ... just like a power strip gets plugged in a mains wall socket and creates more sockets for your devices, the switch does the same thing. All connectors on it are the same, just like all a mains socket in the power strip is the same as the wall socket.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

my ISP uses those netgears for implementing stuff for their pleb customers, and some other customers act like plebs in order to get REALLY good switches for free :P

I added that Netgear switch because it's cheap and has a metal case, and I like switches with metal cases... 

Switches with metal cases are often slightly cooler, because often (if they design the insides in a smart way) the heat from chips inside the switch radiates easier into the metal case. Other than that, it's not really an indicator of better quality or better performance.

This being said though, that particular netgear isn't "perfect", in the sense that it has the DC input on the back and the connectors in the front, so you have cables going into it from both sides... something i personally don't like. If it had all connectors on one side, it would have been ideal.

Just now, mariushm said:

I added that Netgear switch because it's cheap and has a metal case, and I like switches with metal cases... 

Switches with metal cases are often slightly cooler, because often (if they design the insides in a smart way) the heat from chips inside the switch radiates easier into the metal case. Other than that, it's not really an indicator of better quality or better performance.

This being said though, that particular netgear isn't "perfect", in the sense that it has the DC input on the back and the connectors in the front, so you have cables going into it from both sides... something i personally don't like. If it had all connectors on one side, it would have been ideal.

the netgear is a pretty popular one, and while i dont really get why they wwent for the specific IO layout either, my guess is they took the design of rackmount switches, and applied it to a little desktop switch.

On 4/22/2017 at 6:58 PM, ripper101 said:

basic setup with a switch is 1 cable going from your router to a switch, then you can us all the other ports to any number of devices. the more ports the more devices it can handle.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

On 4/22/2017 at 6:58 PM, ripper101 said:

Here is a basic Diagram I whipped up quickly to help you understand.

Basic Networking.PNG