Suggestions for a server hdd

linustouchtips
Go to solution Solved by Nikolithebear,

Cheap meaning price is low or quality or both?  Ebay has a crap tone of used server drives for fairly cheap.  You could also get away with just throwing a ton of WD Blue 1tb in them. (About 45-50 USD per drive.) 

I need cheap hdds alot of them got some old junky computers that im going to make servers out of. but im not investing much in them and they have no hdds. So let me know where to get cheap ones. if you have some give them to me for free. 

jk

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

look at local websites like craigslist or on ebay. 

i dont want to drive or get kill'd in someones bathroom 

Cheap meaning price is low or quality or both?  Ebay has a crap tone of used server drives for fairly cheap.  You could also get away with just throwing a ton of WD Blue 1tb in them. (About 45-50 USD per drive.) 

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

Just now, linustouchtips said:

i dont want to drive or get kill'd in someones bathroom 

meet at a public place 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

meet at a public place 

only at my local police station or no deal

only at my local police station or no deal

or in a library 

or in a library 

i hate my local library but its right next to the police station so yea i guess 

i hate my local library but its right next to the police station so yea i guess 

the library was my favorite place to hang out when i was a teen. 

the library was my favorite place to hang out when i was a teen. 

mine had outdated computers. everyone and their mother was playing roblox and screeching like banshees 

2 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

mine had outdated computers. everyone and their mother was playing roblox and screeching like banshees 

computers are always bad in public library but books, so many good books. at home, i only have 20 000 books( most of those are engineering books). 

computers are always bad in public library but books, so many good books. at home, i only have 20 000 books. 

i gotta kindle and never went back. 

i gotta kindle and never went back. 

i also have a kindle but nothing beats paper books .

15 minutes ago, linustouchtips said:

I need cheap hdds alot of them got some old junky computers that im going to make servers out of. but im not investing much in them and they have no hdds. So let me know where to get cheap ones. if you have some give them to me for free. 

jk

Go on eBay. You can normally find used Hitachi 2tb drives for about 35 use. 

You don't need "server grade"/enterprise hard drives to use in old computers you want to use as servers, unless you need hard drives with SAS connectors or other weird connectors.

You can use any hard drive in computers, the only difference between enterprise hard drives and normal hard drives is reliability, tolerance for higher vibrations (if you use lots of hard drives in a case), and lower latency.

You should also look into recycling centers or groups like Freecycle (they were in a LinusTechTips video) which may have 40 / 80 / 160 GB hard drives very cheap... enough to boot your servers from and then load the files from NAS / iSCSI drive

Alternatively,

Especially if you're going to use multiple computers in the same location, it may be cheaper to just buy 3 or more 2-4 TB hard drives and build a RAID5/RAID10/ some zfs drive using unraid software or something else and make it accessible by all machines like a shared network drive/iscsi/whatever. Would be cheaper than having multiple big hard drives.

Also check forums specialized in web hosting, sometimes there are companies selling old server hardware for cheap. Usually, if the hard drive is between 6 months to 3 years, they would be relatively safe buys. In server computers, if a hard drive lasts 3 years, it's probably going to last 5 years or more so such hard drives would still have some life left in them.

Here's an interesting offer... you can buy more than 15 servers with 500 GB hard drives and 4GB of ram (but slow cpus, intel atom dual core) for $60 each : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1629085

Or another offer, as many as 70 hard drives 3 TB each for 90$ each : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1631785