Internet Woes

WarDance

So I'm not really sure how all the magic that is the internet works, I plug in my Ethernet Cable to the back of my PC and just like that I'm able to connect to my favorite video games and be told off by a bunch of 12 year olds about all the graphic things they've done to my mother. But what I do know is Frontier sucks the underside of a bulls dangly bits with my (when its just me online) average download speed of 4Mbps (we pay for 12) and at best 0.62 Mbps upload speed. Unfortunately they are also the only wired service provider available where I live, here in the middle of soybean and corn fields for days country Michigan. The rest are "wireless" providers, so like satellites? I don't know how it works. However I've always heard that these providers were unreliable and that so much as a little sprinkling of a storm would cause your internet service to go out. Is that just a myth or an old reality that has died with advancements in technology. With 2-4 people gaming, watching youtube, doing college work, ect, the internet is constantly bogged down. Streaming to twitch/youtube hah, not even in the realm of possibilities. So would the Wireless internet services that advertise higher speeds be viable and just as stable as a lined connection?

Thanks for your time,

WarDance

internet Q.png

Isn't Frontier and Verizon the same? I have Verizon Fios/Frontier and it's alright. Their router is garbage so if you want good wifi you'll need to get your own router. I do get a lot of interference with storms and such, but I think that has a little more to do with your neighborhood. Sorry I don't know a whole lot about networking.

I would stay with Frontier. Satellite and 3G/4G internet suck even worse with the caps and prices they impose on you. Get a tech out to look at your line. Frontier and Verizon are completely different companys.

[CPU: 4.3 GHZ I5-4670K] [MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3H] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833 MHZ (8GB)]

[GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070] [PSU: Corsair CX-750] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 2TB 7200RPM HDD / 500GB Samsung 850 EVO ] [Case: ThermalTake Chaser-MK 1]

[Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX] [Mouse: Razer DeathAdder] [Monitor: 2 x ASUS 24 INCH IPS (1440p Soon)]

Just now, IDprofile said:

Their router is garbage so if you want good wifi you'll need to get your own router.

I have my computer hooked up via an Ethernet cable, don't even have a wireless card in this rig. Would their router throttle our speed on a hard-line?

Just now, Heavygun1450 said:

Get a tech out to look at your line.

We have several times ,afterward miraculously for like 2 days we'll get like 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. After that it goes back to junk internet, a lot of times the internet goes completely down between 2-3am.

Just now, WarDance said:

We have several times ,afterward miraculously for like 2 days we'll get like 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. After that it goes back to junk internet, a lot of times the internet goes completely down between 2-3am.

If you could, please try to get your modem's Transceiver Statistics. If you're not sure how to get this, please let us know what modem you use.

[CPU: 4.3 GHZ I5-4670K] [MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3H] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833 MHZ (8GB)]

[GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070] [PSU: Corsair CX-750] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 2TB 7200RPM HDD / 500GB Samsung 850 EVO ] [Case: ThermalTake Chaser-MK 1]

[Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX] [Mouse: Razer DeathAdder] [Monitor: 2 x ASUS 24 INCH IPS (1440p Soon)]

5 minutes ago, WarDance said:

I have my computer hooked up via an Ethernet cable, don't even have a wireless card in this rig. Would their router throttle our speed on a hard-line?

Ethernet has been working fine for me with their router. I have 10 down and 5 up

5 minutes ago, Heavygun1450 said:

If you could, please try to get your modem's Transceiver Statistics. If you're not sure how to get this, please let us know what modem you use.

Not really sure what all that is, but it says "ACTIONTEC Model: F2250" on it's side if that helps.

Just now, WarDance said:

Not really sure what all that is, but it says "ACTIONTEC Model: F2250" on it's side if that helps.

In browser type 192.168.254.254. Password and username should both be Admin by default. Locate the status page - once you login look through the menus for something like "WAN", "Status", or "Connection". It should contain the values you're looking for:
* Signal Attenuation (Measured in dB)
* SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio)
* TX Power Level
* Sync Speeds

Screenshot it and post it here and I can see the quality of your DSL line

11 minutes ago, Heavygun1450 said:

In browser type 192.168.254.254. Password and username should both be Admin by default. Locate the status page - once you login look through the menus for something like "WAN", "Status", or "Connection". It should contain the values you're looking for:
* TX Power Level
* Sync Speeds

it was changed from admin/admin none of the communal usernames/passwords are working so ill have to wait for roommates to get back to me with what they put it as.

3 hours ago, Heavygun1450 said:

* TX Power Level
* Sync Speeds

This?

frontier stuff.png

Still amazes me that you get ethernet speeds that are lower than I get from my mobile carrier on my phone. 15/8 on LTE on a server across the country <__<

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

13 hours ago, IDprofile said:

Isn't Frontier and Verizon the same?

No exactly. Frontier has been buying up Verizon's aging DSL networks and in some cases some of the FIOS markets that are not as profitable as Verizon would like. Unlike Verizon, Frontier is poor, they taken on a lot of debt from these purchases, they cant afford to upgrade any of the networks. So the OP is fucked in so many ways. Because the OP is most likely on DSL because to my knowledge Verizon has never operated a wired network in Michigan. Which means that the OP will be stuck on those speeds forever, unless they move. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, WarDance said:

This?

frontier stuff.png

Yes. Your on a bonded dsl line, which is two phones lines connected to one modem, which effectively doubles your speed. Your stats to me look OK, but if your still having issues, head over to dslreports frontier forum, we can help you out alot better over there. Just post the problems your having and your modem stats and we will try to determine your issue.

To further add to what @Heavygun1450 said. Check out Frontier's direct forum at https://www.dslreports.com/?r=906. It tech support forum ran by Frontier hosted at DSLreports. I have Comcast as an ISP and they also have a direct forum here, and I found the help here, much better then calling in. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I kinda figured I was boned, but I'm stuck here until I finish college. Man, never realized how much I was gonna miss Hargray internet. I thought their customer service was shoddy but at least I had good speeds. Thanks for the help and your time guys. I'll contact people via the forums you linked but I'm not going to hold my breath at this point.