Side by side comparison: Asus STRIX 1080 oc VS STRIX 1080 Ti oc.

Arct1c0n

So I FINALLY got around to opening my sexy box that has been sitting and taunting me for the last 5 days after being busy with anime convention, Easter, work and just plain not having energy at work.  Finally was able to unbox my own Ti glory and join the ranks of fellow Ti peeps at last!

Opened at last!

iROzdim.jpg

I was anxious to finally see the GPU's side by side and let me say, pictures of the difference don't do this hunk of  a GPU justice. The STRIX 1080 was pretty hefty and solid to begin with, but the 1080Ti feels like your holding something epic and powerful, like Thors hammer lol!  There is a noticeable weight difference between the two, sadly I don't have a scale for exact weight comparison but you can likely look that up on asus's website anyway. The size difference between the two is noticeable, this bad boy has an epic heatsink compared to the 1080!

3gwDWfN.jpg

ipxPjmS.jpg

P23jHjN.jpg

zJTIurE.jpg

xIKiCYw.jpg

LvUJkZE.jpg

LvUJkZE.jpg

LgMrxjp.jpg

First things first, lets remove this stupid thing. We know its a Geforce GTX nvidia, piss off

ETnJzbe.jpg

So the big question comes up with these large and hefty GPU's, how bad is the GPU sag? The  STRIX 1080Ti answers "What sag my child?" The added internal brace definitelyhelps a lot! Properly screwed and positioned, sag basically does not exist with this GPU. Take notes ZOTAC...

jj88KgQ.jpg

The internal brace the STRIX 1080 lacks

bLwE6CB.jpg

Dunno about you but I always hold my breath firing up a new GPU for the first time in worries of a DOA, but thankfully, she fired right up and blazed in RGB glory in my new work in progress case project

1P92TWN.jpg?1

NTVBm4w.jpg?1

RO7GEyr.jpg?1

So, lets test and see what this thing can do! First off, lets do a burn in and see how well that beast of a HSF works!  With a custom fan curve that I ALWAYS do with my GPU's, even with the case closed up minus the front intake panel as its getting water cut, a 15 minute Heaven benchmark and the temp never hit 60c! Wow! I took of the side glass panel and the temps only fluctuated by 1-2c. Putting my hand to the top the GPU, I could REALLY feel that heat being blown off that heatsink!  ASUS's decision to get rid of that stupid direct heatpipe contact and maybe even their maxcontact marketing gimmick is working really well!

As far as coil whine for my STRIX, I can hear some shreiking/whining at very high FPS in menu's and such in games and some while doing benchmarking in Heaven, but only if I put my head less then a foot away from GPU, 3 feet away it's barely noticable and with the glass phantek panel on, I can't hear a thing, just fan noise. Considering I will be running Adaptive VSYNC in all my games as I only use a 60hertz monitor, it won't be an issue

QTTRwqD.jpg

Compared to the STRIX 1080, the 1080Ti is even quieter in the 60% fan range, only when it passes 70% does it start to get bit noisy but its SHIT tons better then the crap EVGA Founders Edition!

w2vQ6lo.jpg

Now lets overclock! Well....sadly, the silicon gods didn't smile on me, AGAIN!  With power limiter maxed out in Afterburner, I was only able to get a 60mhz core increase that wouldn't immediately crash Heaven, which resulted in a GPU core that bounced between 2025-2012-2000-1987mhz :( I may try getting the 4.4 beta Afterburner and increasing core Voltage, but I dunno if it will help me any unless someone has ideas. I left memory alone as I prioritize core overclocking vs memory for game FPS increase

Now the real test, how well does she run my custom modded Witcher 3 vs my STRIX 1080? I'll let the chart speak for itself.  I run a heavily modified config file which increases shadow, foliage, distance rendering in the game as well as texture sharpening, increased grass distance by 100% vs stock game which REALLY pounds any GPU but it looks soooooo good in game!** Needless to say, my Witcher 3 demands more GPU horsepower then stock settings, so its been a battle of framerates for the last 2 years and the 1080Ti finally conqures it with flying colors!

You can find a lot of the tweaks I did at

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide 

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/the-witcher-series/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/tech-support/pc-aa/36300-a-compendium-of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-pc-version#post36300)

WYDDFPM.jpg

How is temperature of both card in comparison?

According to Guru3d both card have same temps but wanna see irl from someone who actually had it

Spoiler

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22698

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=30009

7 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

How is temperature of both card in comparison?

According to Guru3d both card have same temps but wanna see irl from someone who actually had it

Reveal hidden contents

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=22698

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=30009

The large heatsink and totally flat heat speader on the Ti vs the smaller heatsink and shitty direct heatpipe is about a 4-6c decrease in temp vs the 1080 model in my case

1080 heatsink

rbOwM5B.jpg

1080 Ti heatsink

QIx8JWu.jpg

BUT will it run Crysis?

CPU - I5 6600k @4.5ghz, AIO Cooler - H100i GTX, MOBO - MSI Z170 Gaming Pro, RAM - G-Skills Ripjaws V DDR4 2400 mhz, GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080, SSD - Samsung 850 Evo 250g, HDD - WD Black 1TB, PSU - Corsair TX 750, Case - Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5, Monitor - Dell S2716dg 2560x1440 144hz gsnyc  27", AOC I2757FH 1920x1080 75Hz 27", OS - Windows 10 Home.

So I'm on the fence with upgrading my 980ti sli to 1080ti single or sli. Asus HB bridge isn't out yet I don't think.

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

36 minutes ago, Kryptyx said:

So I'm on the fence with upgrading my 980ti sli to 1080ti single or sli. Asus HB bridge isn't out yet I don't think.

I would wait another generation to upgrade if I were you. I mean, are there any games you cannot max out with 980ti in SLI? Those are still very fast cards.

Screw you OP, only available in May here in the North. :P

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

2 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

Screw you OP, only available in May here in the North. :P

You got that fresh syrup though

16 hours ago, Kryptyx said:

The bridge has been pictured. As for being out in the wild yet I don't know. As for sli I wouldn't. Seriously this thing is bonkers..... In unigine at 1440p maxed its within 10 frames of  2 980tis.