Dos Rig?

Can I build a msDOS or FreeDos rig that can run the software natively, such as sound, with newly manufactured parts that are still in production today?

Also not to be rude and just for safety, I didn't ask for an opinion, so don't give it.

Yes. I put FreeDOS on a thumb drive and I can play classic arcade games on any PC because of the backwards compatibility that PC's have. I haven't tested installing it on a SSD or HDD but the OS is so light weight that bootup over USB2.0 is almost instantaneous.

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Yes. I put FreeDOS on a thumb drive and I can play classic arcade games on any PC because of the backwards compatibility that PC's have. I haven't tested installing it on a SSD or HDD but the OS is so light weight that bootup over USB2.0 is almost instantaneous.

How's the sound? I could never get it to work. Is it through DosBox or running natively as an OS?

30 minutes ago, Kipper Klank said:

How's the sound? I could never get it to work. Is it through DosBox or running natively as an OS?

Sound was always hit or miss. Some games audio worked and some didn't. If you can locate a 3rd party audio driver then I'd assume you should be able to get most if not all the games running sound. I didn't go out of my way to locate a sound driver but some of the games themselves included one of their own.

Naively as an OS.

On 4/19/2017 at 8:24 PM, Windows7ge said:

Sound was always hit or miss. Some games audio worked and some didn't. If you can locate a 3rd party audio driver then I'd assume you should be able to get most if not all the games running sound. I didn't go out of my way to locate a sound driver but some of the games themselves included one of their own.

Naively as an OS.

Yeah I could never get DOOM to have sound minus the sfx from the internal speaker...I gues if you don't have Sound blaster, then oh well, there just needs to be a hardware emulation software like in DosBox to fool the games into thinking the hardware(SB13) is there....That would be nice...All in Fdos of course.

1 hour ago, Kipper Klank said:

Yeah I could never get DOOM to have sound minus the sfx from the internal speaker...I gues if you don't have Sound blaster, then oh well, there just needs to be a hardware emulation software like in DosBox to fool the games into thinking the hardware(SB13) is there....That would be nice...All in Fdos of course.

Well, good luck with the project. I've given you as much information as I know.