Recommended CPU cooler for LGA 1151 socket?

Go to solution Solved by EPPHO,

Cryorig H7 is a nice budget cooler. 

Hi everyone

i am making a list of items to upgrade my computer with as my current haswell setup is sufficient to say the least but not optimal for performance,

however i don't know what CPU cooler i should be going with for my i7-7700k i'm planning to buy.

i've already chosen my Motherboard and RAM 

MB: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Z170X-Gaming-LGA1151-DDR4/dp/B013E37HCI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492610230&sr=8-2&keywords=GA-Z170X-Gaming%2BG1&th=1

RAM: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK16GX4M2A2400C16-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B016BWEQYG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1492607992&sr=1-1&keywords=corsair%2Bvengeance%2Bddr4%2B2400mhz&th=1

is there any GOOD cpu cooler i can get for roughly £30? ( roughly 40$ on current exchange rates)

i must add a note i don't want any water cooling as i've already planned out a lot of money on my tight budget for this as you may probably be able to understand. so a good quality heatsink for my future LGA 1151 socket would be preferable please :)

i will also be planning to orientate my Heatsink so it blows out the top of my case to go with the airflow of my case (check my profile for my current rig setup)

many thanks:

Harry (TheONLYHamster)

Can get a Hyper 212 evo for about £25, just dont expect any massive overclocks with it.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Can get a Hyper 212 evo for about £25, just dont expect any massive overclocks with it.

thanks man i'm just looking for a good quality cooler, not planning to overclock its just good to have the overhead room as it were for CPU power i'll take a look at it

Scratch that i just found out my current CPU cooler supports the LGA 1151 socket lol i just need to get some thermal paste to re apply it to the new CPU 

Current CPU cooler: https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/freezer-13-limited-edition.html

if i'm making a mistake can anyone please inform me if i'm wrong or this coolers bad?

plus what paste does everyone recommend?

Hyper 212 evo will do good at that price.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

2 minutes ago, TheONLYHamster said:

Scratch that i just found out my current CPU cooler supports the LGA 1151 socket lol i just need to get some thermal paste to re apply it to the new CPU 

if i'm making a mistake can anyone please inform me if i'm wrong or this coolers bad?

thats fine 

Pc Specs

CPU: I7 6700k 4.5Ghz  Motherboard: Asus Z170-A Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4  Cpu Cooler: Corsair H100i v2  Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB/Hitachi Deskstar 3TB  Graphics Card: GTX 1080 Founders Edition Case: Corsair 750D Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w Keyboard: Corsair k70 Mouse: rival 300 

3 minutes ago, TheONLYHamster said:

it's okay, barely performs better than the 212 plus.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

If you're not planning to overclock

1. Don't get an unlocked i7, you're wasting money...
  2. Keep the stock cooler and spend the money elsewhere, if you want it in future you can get one then 

That's an F in the profile pic

6 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

2. Keep the stock cooler and spend the money elsewhere, if you want it in future you can get one then 

to be honest, i got an i7 K on a non overclockable board just because.

Just now, Radiant said:

to be honest, i got an i7 K on a non overclockable board just because.

What you have done with your money doesn't matter. I'm trying to prevent OP from spending money on useless things.

9 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

the only reason why i'm getting the i7-7700k is because its got just a little bit more CPU power than the standard 3.5GHz variant, not bothered about OC'ing in all reality just want that CPU power to spare when needed, so i'm willing to spend a few extra pounds on this CPU

1 minute ago, TheONLYHamster said:

the only reason why i'm getting the i7-7700k is because its got just a little bit more CPU power than the standard 3.5GHz variant, not bothered about OC'ing in all reality just want that CPU power to spare when needed, so i'm willing to spend a few extra pounds on this CPU

I don't know what the prices are, since they can sometimes be funny, but spending more than like 20£ max really isn't worth it if you won't OC. You'll get much more for your money if you spend it on RAM or SSD or better GPU/cooler etc.

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

I don't know what the prices are, since they can sometimes be funny, but spending more than like 20£ max really isn't worth it if you won't OC. You'll get much more for your money if you spend it on RAM or SSD or better GPU/cooler etc.

i already have a GTX 1080, im making this post to replace my haswell CPU as its "bare minimum" for what i would like to use my rig for, this is basically an upgrade project for myself lol

i've already selected my new ram and motherboard if you'll look at the top.

i already have 2 samsung SSDs if you look at my current build on my profile

36 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

24 minutes ago, kameshss said:

Hyper 212 evo will do good at that price.

well, the cryorig m9 beats this cooler for less money so imo thats not worth getting it... NEVERMIND, it costs 5 bucks more so wtf

Remember to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we won't going to recieve your answers...

PC Specs                   PCPartpicker full performance builds (from350$-1250$)

1 minute ago, Blackhole890 said:

well, the cryorig m9 beats this cooler for less money so imo thats not worth getting it... 

can you link me this cooler on amazon please?

9 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Cryorig H7 is a nice budget cooler. 

Would the cryorig h5 be better? Its got more bulk and to me looks like it can get the job done, not to mention its only £2 more on amazon compared to the h7 (for me anyway)