Mounting Incompatible Coolers

NoxiousOdor
Go to solution Solved by Doramius,

Ziptie works for temp method, but the zipties get brittle over time with the heating and cooling of the heatsink.  I've done similar, but used copper wire, where I twisted the wire to tighten it down, and then soldered the twist.  If I need to remove the heatsink, I just cut the copper wire.  Use solid 16-gauge wire for best results.

Hello everyone, I ran into a dilemma while building my computer. I have a dual socket board that uses non-standard heatsink mounting points. They are LGA 1366 sockets but unfortunately the mounting holes are not located where normal ones would be. I have one proper heatsink that was made for the motherboard that does fit but a second one would be about 200USD which is irritating. I also have two GAMMAXX 400 heatsinks that I bought back before I realized they wouldn't fit and if possible I would like to use these.

The way I see it I have four options:

1. I could zip-tie them on. I have never tried this though and I don't know how reliable it is.

2. I could solder them in. I have the best cpus that are compatible with the board so replacing them would be unlikely anyway.

3. I could have custom backplates and brackets made. I know a guy who will do this for fairly cheaply but it will be complicated and take a long time because he can't see it in person because we no longer live in the same state.

4. I could buy the overpriced cooler anyway

Please give me your thoughts and if anyone has a better idea please let me know.

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

Option one. Haven't you seen Linus's homemade cooler? He zip tied it on, and it works just fine. Just be sure to use quality ones that won't melt. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just ziptie it together, it's the LTT endorsed method

Spoiler

My system:

CPU: i5-6600K <> Mobo: Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming <> Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 <> GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 <> SSD: Intel 600p 256Gb

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (16Gb @ 3000Mhz) <> PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W <> Case: Corsair Carbide 400C <> Fans: 6x Bitfenix Spectre 

Monitor: Asus VG248QE <> Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 <> Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Ultimate <> Speakers: Logitech Z333

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Ok, my cheapo Bitfenix fans are 120mm, all six of them. Are you happy now?

Spoiler

I am not actually Linus...

Spoiler

You can leave my signature now.....

Ziptie works for temp method, but the zipties get brittle over time with the heating and cooling of the heatsink.  I've done similar, but used copper wire, where I twisted the wire to tighten it down, and then soldered the twist.  If I need to remove the heatsink, I just cut the copper wire.  Use solid 16-gauge wire for best results.

1 minute ago, Doramius said:

This method seems a lot less jankey then zip ties, witch I know from trying to diy a heat sink on a 775 dell motherboard can be a pain.  

8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Option one. Haven't you seen Linus's homemade cooler? He zip tied it on, and it works just fine. Just be sure to use quality ones that won't melt. 

8 minutes ago, TheNextLinus said:

Just ziptie it together, it's the LTT endorsed method

4 minutes ago, Doramius said:

1 minute ago, doomsriker said:

This method seems a lot less jankey then zip ties, witch I know from trying to diy a heat sink on a 775 dell motherboard can be a pain.  

Thanks for all of your input, I was leaning in the ziptie direction. I'm glad to hear that it isn't a bad plan. I will probably use the ties until I notice them becoming brittle then I will replace them with something more permanent but for now I can get the ties from work.

Thanks again! 

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

I've used zipties in the past on a FC-PGA 478 CPU where I had accidentally broken the harness on the custom cooler (not paying close attention and cross threaded :$).  They definitely worked, but after several months performance issues appeared.  Thinking it was the video card, I opened the case and laid the case down and swapped out the video card.  Closed the case and lifted it up and heard 'CLUNK'.  Opened the case back up and saw the zipties had broken.  I started to use zipties again, but the first I tightened too tight and snapped it.  As with many builders, I just got frustrated and stormed off cursing.  I came back to it thinking, "What could be the cheapest fix without having to get another cooler?"  It was a really nice cooler at the time, and the mounts were obviously good to hold the zipties.  I found some leftover 16-gauge wire from when I redid the wiring for the doorbell.  I stripped the sleeving off and ran it around the areas I was using the original zipties.  Twisted it tight with a pair of needle-nosed pliers, and then touched solder to the twist.  It held amazingly.  Never had a single issue with performance since...even with the original video card that didn't have a problem in the first place.