B350M + Ryzen 7

I might switch to Ryzen soon, and I'm wondering about your opinion on this motherboard: https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/MSI-B350M-MORTAR-ARCTIC-AMD-B350-So-AM4-Dual-Channel-DDR4-mATX-Retail_1159708.html

If I'm not mistaken I can OC my CPU on B350 chipset, but can that small motherboard handle overclocking as well as normal sized motherboards?

I will be building small and quiet PC for myself.

That's what I had in plan to buy:

58f520cc5a55c_Ryzenbuild.png.7950779d954173ff37aa53f78d5a8e90.png

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

how soon is soon, as vega is also soon, so you know wait off till then maybe as vega might surprise us all and give us a brand new GPU which is as good as the 1080ti.

heads up before anyone says anything against me for what I said there, there is a word in that sentence might which means it also might not happen

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

In theory the 370 boards are better for overclokcing, but Ryzen doesn't OC that much anyway so I personally don't think it would be worth the extra money.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

as for motherboard B chips overclock just as good as X, only difference is do you need SLI support etc. which comes with the X boards

And more, several more

11 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you can oc but not as much as a 370 mobo, you can find a 370 micro atx mobo. 

Sadly I can't find any motherboard with 370 chipset that would fir in the case linked above (mATX). Or at least mindfactory isn't selling any motherboard like this.

5 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

how soon is soon, as vega is also soon, so you know wait off till then maybe as vega might surprise us all and give us a brand new GPU which is as good as the 1080ti.

heads up before anyone says anything against me for what I said there, there is a word in that sentence might which means it also might not happen

Not that soon ... I will wait till Vega is released, but I'm pretty sure it won't be able to compete with GTX 1080 Ti. And if it will be able to compete, it will be suing 2 GPU cores on one single card, so it will be acctually crossfire GPU, which I'm not interested into.

But I'm still waiting, because once Vega gets released, prices from Nvidia will also drop a bit.

5 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

In theory the 370 boards are better for overclokcing, but Ryzen doesn't OC that much anyway so I personally don't think it would be worth the extra money.

I'm not aiming at anything higher than 3,85GHz on all cores. Just want it to be stable and not running too hot.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

6 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Sadly I can't find any motherboard with 370 chipset that would fir in the case linked above (mATX). Or at least mindfactory isn't selling any motherboard like this.

Not that soon ... I will wait till Vega is released, but I'm pretty sure it won't be able to compete with GTX 1080 Ti. And if it will be able to compete, it will be suing 2 GPU cores on one single card, so it will be acctually crossfire GPU, which I'm not interested into.

But I'm still waiting, because once Vega gets released, prices from Nvidia will also drop a bit.

I'm not aiming at anything higher than 3,85GHz on all cores. Just want it to be stable and not running too hot.

oh as ryzen proves you can't under estimate AMD too much they can deliver in places, but yea I agree their cards are probably not as good as a 1080ti

And more, several more

You'll still get overclocking options , but they might not be as extensive as on an x370 board . 

I have a b350 board myself , and it does support the usual "basic" overclocking features ( ratio and voltage tweaking , memory dividers , C-states , core control , etc ) , but you don't have more advance features , such as Bclock control , pcie and ram reference clock tweaking , cache ratio  , etc ( at least on my board anyway )

As for power phases , it really depends on the board you get . Ryzen itself , due to it's power-efficient nature , won't really limited by your board's power delivery when overclocking, unless you're trying to push your chip to the absolute limits .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

B350 mobo will be fine with overclocking. I would suggest going with G.Skill FlareX's to get the best out of it since memory is very important on Ryzen

11 hours ago, grimreeper132 said:

oh as ryzen proves you can't under estimate AMD too much they can deliver in places, but yea I agree their cards are probably not as good as a 1080ti

That's somehow true. But AMD didn't release any new CPU for years, so they had to do something impressive.

If they mannage to beat 1080 Ti performance at lower price with card that have only 1 GPU ... then by all means I will be looking forward for that GPU. Guess we will have to wait till end of summer, to see what Vega have to offer.

11 hours ago, zelix said:

B350 mobo will be fine with overclocking. I would suggest going with G.Skill FlareX's to get the best out of it since memory is very important on Ryzen

But does that RAM increase benchmark results or overall gaming performance? Because I'm only interested in gaming, and better RAM than what I have in this build, probbably won't give me any more fps at all.

WD My Cloud 4TB

5 hours ago, Simon771 said:

That's somehow true. But AMD didn't release any new CPU for years, so they had to do something impressive.

If they mannage to beat 1080 Ti performance at lower price with card that have only 1 GPU ... then by all means I will be looking forward for that GPU. Guess we will have to wait till end of summer, to see what Vega have to offer.

But does that RAM increase benchmark results or overall gaming performance? Because I'm only interested in gaming, and better RAM than what I have in this build, probbably won't give me any more fps at all.

The FlareX's should directly allow for better Ryzen overclocking which translates into more performance.

6 hours ago, Simon771 said:

Unlike intel, ryzen does actually benefit from RAM frequency. A 3200MHz RAM will give a nice fps boost from a 2666MHz, for example.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

9 hours ago, Simon771 said:

oh yea, I agree they needed to do something impressive and they have, but they are planning to market these new vega cards as high end cards, so they will need to be high performance cards and to be competing with cards like the 1080 or 1080 ti so it might actually be the case that vega will be good enough to do so. it'll be interesting to see what they do, and yea I won't be unsurprised if they aren't as good as the 1080ti but I can't see them being entirely shit, like I could with zen. due to the 480 and because of that 580 being good cards

And more, several more