Low FPS while split-screening

Hey guys

I've been playing a lot of Black Ops 3 in the split screen mode so that I and a friend can play together. He is using a controller while I use a mouse and keyboard. I've been kind of annoyed recently at only being able to get around 45-50 fps while playing with him. I get him being a console player won't see a problem, but as a PC user, I want my 60fps smooth gaming.

So I went out and bought a new graphics card.

I used to have the Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3gb, amazing card, but it has aged (I thought). So I went out and got the AMX rx 480 by XFX (Best Buy edition, was too impatient to ship it to my house). I was so excited to see the improvements, and I did immediately playing single-player. I was rendering the game at 150% resolution (BO3 option) and had the settings turned up all the way - solid 55-70 fps. So I tried to play it with split-screen. Keeping the same graphics settings, I got about 30 fps. So I lowered it all to around medium settings, and I started getting frame rates around 45 fps. I wanted that 60fps, so I cranked it all the way down to low, everything low, and even rendered the game at 50% resolution.

Still only got 45fps.

I have some results from Afterburner on the measurements of card data while playing single player and split-screen. I'm confused by the results.

In single player mode, the card favors 70c and fluctuates the fans to keep it around there. The clock speeds stayed at around 1250, which is the core clock for this card. Memory speeds were a solid 2000mhz and GPU usage was 100% with some dips. It used up almost the whole 8gb of VRAM in this card. The CPU I own has 6 cores, and the last 5 cores are being used while gaming. They are jumping everywhere, see pictures.

In split-screen mode though, the card seems to hover around 50c and the fans are at much lower speeds. Core clock is still at around 1250 and memory speeds are still 2000. GPU usage has a lot more spikes though, not hitting 100% as much. The memory usage also seems to be much less. The CPU usage seems to be on average a little higher but still bounces around a lot. See pictures.

The basic sense of what I'm getting at here is that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU. My CPU is the AMD FX-6300 6 core. I originally thought that it was the VRAM and memory speed of the Sapphire card that was bottle-necking me, so I figured that my new rx 480 with 8GB of high performing VRAM would solve this issue, but still the difference between medium settings and low settings doesn't change the fps in the slightest.

Is that whats going on here? Is my CPU bottle-necking my GPU? If so, should I get a refund and upgrade my CPU while keeping my old card? And if that is the case, what do you recommend for a CPU/Motherboard upgrade? I've got a budget of 300 at the time, and that new Ryzen line-up is looking pretty good to me.

Thanks guys,

Bryan

single_player_1.png

single_player_2.png

split_screen_1.png

split_screen_2.png

oh god, just realised, thats a 6300. I'd say Ryzen 5 would fit very well here, you're bottlenecking that card hard

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

what CPU do you have? split screen is CPU-heavy

AMD FX-6300 6-core 3.5 GHz (Stock, on air, no OC)

that CPU is getting a bit weak for the GPU. 

additionally, split screen means the game has to render everything TWICE. so it's always going to cut frame rate down by a significant portion.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

1 minute ago, VioDuskar said:

that CPU is getting a bit weak for the GPU. 

additionally, split screen means the game has to render everything TWICE. so it's always going to cut frame rate down by a significant portion.

Yes, I understand split screen is rendering it all twice. But on non-split screen I'm getting well over 200 fps on medium settings and stuff. You think this is just a CPU issue? And if so, would it be worth the upgrade to the new Ryzen 5 1500x?

Just now, heyawesomepeopl said:

Yes, I understand split screen is rendering it all twice. But on non-split screen I'm getting well over 200 fps on medium settings and stuff. You think this is just a CPU issue? And if so, would it be worth the upgrade to the new Ryzen 5 1500x?

1600 > 1500x, but yes. x chips are just XFR-turbo enabled, so they turbo higher than non-x chips and have a higher base clock

but if you get a good mobo and a good mem kit, you'll be golden to push the CPU to 4Ghz easy

idk

it would be worth swapping to a new CPU, but that also means a new motherboard for you. you could swap to a better AM3+ CPU, but they're still lagging behind now. I know, i just got out of a FX9590. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

1600 > 1500x, but yes. x chips are just XFR-turbo enabled, so they turbo higher than non-x chips and have a higher base clock

but if you get a good mobo and a good mem kit, you'll be golden to push the CPU to 4Ghz easy

1 minute ago, VioDuskar said:

it would be worth swapping to a new CPU, but that also means a new motherboard for you. you could swap to a better AM3+ CPU, but they're still lagging behind now. I know, i just got out of a FX9590. 

My understanding is that I'll need DDR4 too, which means I'm basically out of budget for the upgrade if I wanna get a 1600 or higher. If I could find a used FX9590 to just get me through a few more months, even with the sapphire card, you'd think I'd see an improvement still?

1 minute ago, heyawesomepeopl said:

My understanding is that I'll need DDR4 too, which means I'm basically out of budget for the upgrade if I wanna get a 1600 or higher. If I could find a used FX9590 to just get me through a few more months, even with the sapphire card, you'd think I'd see an improvement still?

well, yeah. if you have a good motherboard. only like 11 motherboards can keep the power flowing to that monster of an energy eater. 

it's time to save up some money and jump on the ddr4 board. i know how it feels. it sucks to be stuck between upgrades and buying parts to stave off the complete build hurts in the long run. 

start putting away some each paycheck and hope for birthday money, christmas is a long way away.

Just now, VioDuskar said:

well, yeah. if you have a good motherboard. only like 11 motherboards can keep the power flowing to that monster of an energy eater. 

it's time to save up some money and jump on the ddr4 board. i know how it feels. it sucks to be stuck between upgrades and buying parts to stave off the complete build hurts in the long run. 

start putting away some each paycheck and hope for birthday money, christmas is a long way away.

Damn, and my birthday is in January. Okay I think I'm gonna return this AMD RX 480, or at least try to, and just put it all away until I can make the jump. Thanks guys.

Damn, and my birthday is in January. Okay I think I'm gonna return this AMD RX 480, or at least try to, and just put it all away until I can make the jump. Thanks guys.

i really feel you man. it sucks to be right on the edge of what you want. hold on to the GPU since you have it already, but just plan to buy RAM, CPU, and MB all at once. figure out what you want out of it and go ahead and make a quote for yourself so you have a set monetary goal, then once you have the core requirements expand as needed. (better cooling, better case, NVMe or SSD drives, etc.)

You could always grab a x4 9950 and oc it as high as you can. They are only around $30 usd. Just to hold you over.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

7 minutes ago, crzyces said:

You could always grab a x4 9950 and oc it as high as you can. They are only around $30 usd. Just to hold you over.

AM3+ Motherboard though, I've read the Phenom's aren't compatible with DDR3 either.

5 minutes ago, heyawesomepeopl said:

AM3+ Motherboard though, I've read the Phenom's aren't compatible with DDR3 either.

Try  955 black? $30 bucks as well. Should be able to get it to 4.0 or so.

6 minutes ago, heyawesomepeopl said:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Phenom-II-X4-955-Black-Edition-3-2-GHz-Quad-Core-HDZ955FBK4DGI-Processor-/172623033232?hash=item2831227390:g:S4gAAOSw03lY7ucC

Buy it Now $32 usd

It certainly should. It's the best gaming processor for that board.

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

It certainly should. It's the best gaming processor for that board.

Do you think I'd be able to squeeze some performance out of the current FX-6300 I have by overclocking?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3.

Thanks

1 minute ago, heyawesomepeopl said:

Do you think I'd be able to squeeze some performance out of the current FX-6300 I have by overclocking?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-970A-D3.

Thanks

Gigabyte makes the easiest bios to oc in my opinion. And yes, that would certainly help.

7 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Gigabyte makes the easiest bios to oc in my opinion. And yes, that would certainly help.

Okay I'm going to see what performance I can squeeze out of my current card without it getting too hot. I might try the Phenom II if that doesn't work out since 30 bucks is pretty cheap.

Thanks for your help!

Okay I'm going to see what performance I can squeeze out of my current card without it getting too hot. I might try the Phenom II if that doesn't work out since 30 bucks is pretty cheap.

Thanks for your help!

NP. Now if I can get some girl's mouse working on a new build where she just switched hard drives, didn't install the motherboard drivers bc she has no optical drive and usb is not working. Everyone else gave up but I feel bad. Tough to walk people through an unfamiliar bios and windows screen when you're not there and it's after 3am.

17 hours ago, crzyces said:

NP. Now if I can get some girl's mouse working on a new build where she just switched hard drives, didn't install the motherboard drivers bc she has no optical drive and usb is not working. Everyone else gave up but I feel bad. Tough to walk people through an unfamiliar bios and windows screen when you're not there and it's after 3am.

Turns out I have the FX-6100 3.3GHz but right now I have it clocked to 4.1GHz and am not even touching 50c yet, getting about 32c idle.

So with it clocked at 4.1Ghz I noticed a few fps increase in the split-screen mode of the game I was testing, which led me to ask the question: how would my old GPU perform? So I switched them out and low and behold, I was getting a solid 50-60 fps in split-screen mode on all low settings (which I don't mind at the time since I'm short on money), with the GPU working at about 50% usage. This has to be a CPU bottleneck. Since I am already getting better performance with the overclocked CPU and old GPU, I'm going to return the old GPU and focus on overclocking my current CPU and waiting until I have enough money to upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/RAM all together.

But before I go any further with the overclocking process, I just wanna make sure I'm doing it right. Basically, I've just been increasing the clock speed in the 0.5x increments and running a prime95 each time to test it. At 3.9Ghz I was getting some rounding errors and at 4Ghz my computer was locking up. So I slowly increased voltage 0.025v at a time and kept testing. I'm right now at 4.1Ghz with no issues at I think about 1.325v. Is this proper procedure? My CPU isn't getting anywhere near 50c even on full load so I figure I can take the voltage up more if needed, but I feel like I shouldn't go over 1.4 volts? Would that be a proper assumption? And what is the best way to monitor voltage? With Core Temp 1.7 I get a variance between 1.3875v and 1.4125v, it jumps between the two (even though I think in the BIOS it is set at 1.325, but let me check again). When under load it says the voltage is at 1.25v which I assume is just vdroop.

Thanks,

Bryan

There are a couple ways to do it, but as long as each core is running at 4.1, then you are doing great. I've gone to 1.55 before,but the temps just went nuts, so I back switch power supplied off (my cpu cores went from 37c to 103c within 2-5 seconds on P 95. Like I clicked enter and was standing almost immediately going for the pc (I was going for 4.5 on a 3970k with stock cooling with a .25 adjust on each core for turbo. Lol, I was sure I was not fast enough, but I wasn't. Off before a crash, and back down to 1.4 v and 4.2 (I had to turn it down to 1.35 and 4.1 recently (or 4, I forget) as the heat sink and fan are clogged as heck from being an open air case (I test a lot of old cpu's on it, used ddr 3 I'll grab in lots, whatever). I wouldn't go over 1.45 until it's not your main rig anymore (ei. once losing it will stink, but not be semi-crushing).

35 minutes ago, crzyces said:

There are a couple ways to do it, but as long as each core is running at 4.1, then you are doing great. I've gone to 1.55 before,but the temps just went nuts, so I back switch power supplied off (my cpu cores went from 37c to 103c within 2-5 seconds on P 95. Like I clicked enter and was standing almost immediately going for the pc (I was going for 4.5 on a 3970k with stock cooling with a .25 adjust on each core for turbo. Lol, I was sure I was not fast enough, but I wasn't. Off before a crash, and back down to 1.4 v and 4.2 (I had to turn it down to 1.35 and 4.1 recently (or 4, I forget) as the heat sink and fan are clogged as heck from being an open air case (I test a lot of old cpu's on it, used ddr 3 I'll grab in lots, whatever). I wouldn't go over 1.45 until it's not your main rig anymore (ei. once losing it will stink, but not be semi-crushing).

Okay sweet thanks!

1 hour ago, heyawesomepeopl said:

Okay sweet thanks!

Now you were returning the rx 480 right? What are you using now? I forget.