5 or 7 case fans?

rlcastro

I'm planning to buy arc mini r2 which can handle 7 fans (2 120 front, 1 120 bottom, 1 120 rear, 2 120/140 top, 1 120 top).

Will i get better temps if i install 7 fans?

Also which of this setup would be great for 5 fans?

2 front intake, 2 140 top exhaust, bottom 120 intake or rear 120 intake?

for 7 fans should i make 4 intakes(2 front, 1 bot, 1 rear) then 3 exhaust ( 2 140 top and 1 120 top)?

thanks

Less disruption is better. Just get front intake and rear exhaust. Even better is to cover the remaining vents to create a wind tunnel effect.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Always get more fans! More fans = better. I like fans :D

well I really like to test my case air flow... it have 4 side fan, 2 rear and 2 front... I tried basically  everything...

And it's funny how it work different to every case... to me front fan is not really good to intake...so I use it to exhaust , my 2 rear to intake and 4 side fan to intake too.. 

To lower my gpu temp the most important was 2 fans in the bottom of side panel... and to lower my cpu temp was rear doing  the intake

So I know it might not help much but ... get a day with stable temp and try everything you can.  

Depends on type of your CPU cooler. And PSU since its one to conflict with bottom fan. You can leave bottom fan out unless you have several gpu's/other expansion cards requiring extra cooling. 2 fans on front will provide enough fresh air to HDDs and GPU. Now, if you have tower cooler set 'traditionally' as cooling in push from front to back, one exhaust will be enough. If you feel like it, add one fan on top to either exhaust at rear slot or intake from as front as you can get it. If you have cooler fan set from bottom to top, one back exhaust and one top exhaust should do it. Or two top exhausts. Thats what I'm using atm. For AIO cooler rads fans are enough for exhausting.

Cases cooling as listed is just options for you. There's no need to fill them all.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Depends on type of your CPU cooler. And PSU since its one to conflict with bottom fan. You can leave bottom fan out unless you have several gpu's/other expansion cards requiring extra cooling. 2 fans on front will provide enough fresh air to HDDs and GPU. Now, if you have tower cooler set 'traditionally' as cooling in push from front to back, one exhaust will be enough. If you feel like it, add one fan on top to either exhaust at rear slot or intake from as front as you can get it. If you have cooler fan set from bottom to top, one back exhaust and one top exhaust should do it. Or two top exhausts. Thats what I'm using atm. For AIO cooler rads fans are enough for exhausting.

Cases cooling as listed is just options for you. There's no need to fill them all.

No you must always fill all fan spots when ever possible! And yes all of my posts like this about fans are real and it is how I feel at least about my own rigs.

5 fans would be enough. I have two fans intake in the front, two stock corsair fans exhaust from the top, and a 120mm radiator in the rear for exhaust.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Less disruption is better. Just get front intake and rear exhaust. Even better is to cover the remaining vents to create a wind tunnel effect.

ok i'll go with 5 fans then. I can save some money too. 

What should i cover them with?

I've got 5 in mine, not including the two on my CPU cooler. I could add two more on the side of the case, but I feel it might be a bit redundant. Currently I have two 140mm on the front, two 120mm on top, and a single 120mm on the back. Two front intake, top and rear exhaust. Most of the time the front fans are off, and the top fans are on the lowest settings possible, if on at all. The difference in full load temps when running in silent mode (cpu fans on low, top/rear on low, front off) and everything cranked up to full blast is about 10c off the CPU cooler and 3c off the GPU. So I feel if your case isn't super tiny with a ton of big hot parts, you should be okay with fewer fans. I kind of feel like my Corsair 300R with this many fans is a tad overkill, but why not do it?

CPU 4670k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Hero | RAM 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Blu 1600Mhz | GPU 2x Asus GTX 780 Directcu II SLI | Case Corsair 300R | Storage 1x OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, 1x Samsung EVO 500GB, 1x WD Green 2TB | PSU Corsair RM 850 Gold | Displays BENQ XL2420TE / Asus VS247H-P | Cooling Noctua NH-U9B, 2x Noctua 140mm, 3x Noctua 120mm | Keyboard Logitech G710+ | Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013

ok i'll go with 5 fans then. I can save some money too. 

What should i cover them with?

Pantyhose or some ind of fabric work well. Even construction paper works. Get creative with it. 

You should put fans on the front and rear.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.