Anyone tried 1080p on a 4K display?

rodsterman12

I mostly use my PC for photo editing, I'm lucky enough to be a full time photographer so it would be super cool to bump up to 4K. 

I'm also a massive gamer and use the same PC for hours of trekking around Novigrad! Now, I know we're not quite there with 4K gaming so, I'm kinda thinking, if I come across a game that I can't hit near enough 60fps with, that I could drop the res down to 1080p to ease up the burden and restore some frame rate! 

Anyone seen how 1080p looks on a 27 inch 4K display yet?! Is it OK? Rubbish? Would I just crave 4K60 and think anything less was for peasants?! 

Thanks!!

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

almost all digital cameras shot with more than a 4k resoltion

he is taking about gaming.

It is a bit blurry because of the pixels not mapping perfectly to the UHD resolution, but it should be fine, you could also play at 1440, and I have played games at 1440p on my 4K display and they look good (until i got my 1440p 144hz monitor now i split games between the two) what GPU do you have?

Spoiler

CPU: AMD R7 5800X | CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i PRO | Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO | Memory: G.Skill RIPJAWS V DDR4 3200mhz 64GB | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra | PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w | OS Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB | Games Drive: Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB | Media Drive: 2x WD Blue HDD 1TB in Raid 0 | Media Drive: 2x WD Black HDD 2TB in Raid 1 | Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D | Monitor 1: ASUS PB287Q UHD | Monitor 2: ASUS PG278Q WQHD

9 minutes ago, AdamHolt96 said:

he is taking about gaming.

It is a bit blurry because of the pixels not mapping perfectly to the UHD resolution, but it should be fine, you could also play at 1440, and I have played games at 1440p on my 4K display and they look good (until i got my 1440p 144hz monitor now i split games between the two) what GPU do you have?

Currently, I'm running 980tis in SLI! There's loads of titles i should be fine with. 

I've opened another thread to discuss if I'm better off selling my 980tis and buying a 1080ti to help with 4K and poor SLI optimisation. 

11 minutes ago, AdamHolt96 said:

Was just going to say this: playing at 1440p on a 4K display is actually do-able, and really the only way to achieve a playable framerate in VR these days anyway. Then again, I'd also argue that modern GPU's aren't ready to run modern games at framerates acceptable to me in 4K yet, so find out what works for you.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

9 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Was just going to say this: playing at 1440p on a 4K display is actually do-able, and really the only way to achieve a playable framerate in VR these days anyway. Then again, I'd also argue that modern GPU's aren't ready to run modern games at framerates acceptable to me in 4K yet, so find out what works for you.

i find the 1080Ti to be quite admirable in 4k gaming performance. not quite 4k 60fps but we're getting there. it's not priced mainstream though so there's that 

could also say the Titan Xp but over $1000 is a bit much for a single GPU. 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

i find the 1080Ti to be quite admirable in 4k gaming performance. not quite 4k 60fps but we're getting there. it's not priced mainstream though so there's that 

could also say the Titan Xp but over $1000 is a bit much for a single GPU. 

Can't disagree with you there - both the Titan and 1080Ti are nice cards, although the Titan is a complete ripoff in terms of price.

My issue is that we've come to accept 4K at 60FPS as the acceptable standard. I grew up with 720p at 120FPS being the target to hit, and then 1080p at the same framerate. Now, I understand that new games are pushing the limits of quality and details, but only running at half the framerate we used to aim for seems very silly, especially since 140/144Hz monitors are relatively inexpensive these days.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

6 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Can't disagree with you there - both the Titan and 1080Ti are nice cards, although the Titan is a complete ripoff in terms of price.

My issue is that we've come to accept 4K at 60FPS as the acceptable standard. I grew up with 720p at 120FPS being the target to hit, and then 1080p at the same framerate. Now, I understand that new games are pushing the limits of quality and details, but only running at half the framerate we used to aim for seems very silly, especially since 140/144Hz monitors are relatively inexpensive these days.

4k has become a measuring contest now of sorts now, NVIDIA and AMD don't have much choice but support 4k gaming as much as they can to stay competitive. especially now that the ps4 pro and project scorpio are taking on 4k gaming. 

with that said it's still quite nice that for pc gamers, we get a choice of either high frame rates or high resolutions. and from what i've observed this concept has extended to the ps4 pro... somewhat. 

On 4/17/2017 at 1:18 AM, ArduinoBen said:

Can you afford to buy a new GPU?

Yeah, once I claim back the VAT and sell my 980tis I think I'd be looking around £60 or so to get a 1080ti.