ryzen 1600x or i5 7600k?

i want to buy a new rig but im really torn between the 1600x and an i5 7600k i know intel is better for gaming which is honestly going to be most of my use but im also getting started in some light photography editing and would like to buy the ryzen for the future proof.help meeeeeh

If you are deciding between i5 or R5 then you most likely play bellow 100Hz and you most likely have mid range GPU, so you are GPU bound in most games and you will benefit overall more from R5 as it provides more threads/cores rather than from i5.

If you are pro gamer you want 144Hz+ monitor and high end GPU to push the frames as high as possible, therefore you go for i7 7700k.

23 minutes ago, infinitepotatoes said:

i want to buy a new rig but im really torn between the 1600x and an i5 7600k i know intel is better for gaming which is honestly going to be most of my use but im also getting started in some light photography editing and would like to buy the ryzen for the future proof.help meeeeeh

1600x buy it now

34 minutes ago, infinitepotatoes said:

some light photography editing

Ryzen for this, Adobe loves cores!

I just added 2 videos on my channel believe putting the 1600 vs 7600k stock and OC. Check my status updates for the links.

I would recommend the 1600x over the 7600k reason is that with LGA 1151 the best that you're going to get is a 7700k which is a near guarantee because I don't see intel refreshing LGA 1151 just as they did with Devil's Canyon because Kaby Lake is just refreshed Skylake.

With AM4 you can switch to the 1700 or the next Zen+ iteration so that gives you room to move to.

If you don't care about pushing over 100fps/hz then the 1600x or non X is your better value along with your photography work. But do remember if you're going for the +100hz then you have to fork over an equivalent amount for your GPU as well.