Can someone help me get into programming?

KhalFuego

I want to learn programming but it is kinda overwhelming for a new person, anyone willing to help a fellow LTT fan?

I'd definitely start off with an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) getting into programming. 

You also have to ask yourself what you want to do in programming. Do you want to make games, applications, or web development. Something like C# or C++ are best for game development because you have game engines like Unity or Unreal. 

General people say you should start programming in Python if you're new, but I skipped this language when I was new and jumped right into C++.

It's also good to buy a book or find a tutorial series or course on the particular language you chose. 

That's just the basics, just jump in and have fun!

Sorry if this was a little messy typed it on my phone :)

Just now, ShadyOrb09 said:

I'd definitely start off with an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) getting into programming. 

You also have to ask yourself what you want to do in programming. Do you want to make games, applications, or web development. Something like C# or C++ are best for game development because you have game engines like Unity or Unreal. 

General people say you should start programming in Python if you're new, but I skipped this language when I was new and jumped right into C++.

It's also good to buy a book or find a tutorial series or course on the particular language you chose. 

That's just the basics, just jump in and have fun!

Sorry if this was a little messy typed it on my phone :)

Thank you it certainly helped a bit, everything that I found was saying either python or c++ to learn first, and I actually have a decent idea for an app that could be really good, what would be the best programming language for that? And would learning c++ first help more?

Just now, KhalFuego said:

Thank you it certainly helped a bit, everything that I found was saying either python or c++ to learn first, and I actually have a decent idea for an app that could be really good, what would be the best programming language for that? And would learning c++ first help more?

In my personal opinion I'd pick C++ because it's just more widely used and if you ever wanted to make a game in Unreal for example you'll always have it under your belt. Though C# can do the exact same thing, so it's really whichever one you'd like. C# I think is more beginner friendly because things are just a lot more readable and simple. Simple apps can be made in C# if you choose Windows Application, but for making more modern UIs and better graphics etc. you'd be better off learning XAML too. Assuming you mean a Windows application and not a phone app, for a phone app I believe you have to use XAML, but I could be mistaken. :)

18 minutes ago, KhalFuego said:

I want to learn programming but it is kinda overwhelming for a new person, anyone willing to help a fellow LTT fan?

https://mva.microsoft.com/en-US/training-courses/c-fundamentals-for-absolute-beginners-16169

Start there. That's where I started when I was teaching myself, and it helped alot. Tabor is a good teacher.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

3 hours ago, KhalFuego said:

they suggest them because they are good to start off. What language is best will depend on the app.

A web app then htnl, JavaScript, angular, php or node for the back end. 

a windows app c#

multi platform desktop app java

command line tools python or ruby.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

imho, IDE dulls your senses of locating bugs and errors.

you need to develop high problem solving skills. So my best suggestion is to use notepad and learn C++ or Java. There are many books that will take you step by step. In my case. I would suggest C++ by deitel 

19 minutes ago, Strike1st said:

imho, IDE dulls your senses of locating bugs and errors.

you need to develop high problem solving skills. So my best suggestion is to use notepad and learn C++ or Java. There are many books that will take you step by step. In my case. I would suggest C++ by deitel 

I disagree with this. Being able to spot bugs that a linter would have revealed does not make you better at problem solving, it just makes you better at not using a linter.

16 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

I disagree with this. Being able to spot bugs that a linter would have revealed does not make you better at problem solving, it just makes you better at not using a linter.

That is not the only reason. Blind programming helps you get better & faster at typing codes. To start with the easy stuff is like driving an automated car without learning how to use the stick.

Using an IDE makes you a clicker, not a developer. Generating your boilerplate with a hotkey has nothing in common with actual development.

Write in C.

30 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Using an IDE makes you a clicker, not a developer. Generating your boilerplate with a hotkey has nothing in common with actual development.

From what I've found, ppl NOT using a IDE with decent intellisense tend to shy away from long meaningful names because they want to save themselves some type work. That leads to far less readable code. If i have to pick a 20 character variable name to make absolutely clear what it does, I'll do it, because intellisense/auto-complete will handle the work for me.

There's lots of other real world examples like ppl putting code in a scope where it does not belong or don't create as many namespaces as they should, because it makes "stuff hard to find". A decent IDE can look up symbols, even create a nice class overview and whatnot, nullifying this problem...

Don't think you're smart by not using tools. You can claim real farming is pure handwork but only until the farmer using a tractor puts you out of business and buys your lot right from under your feet.

9 hours ago, Strike1st said:

That is not the only reason. Blind programming helps you get better & faster at typing codes. To start with the easy stuff is like driving an automated car without learning how to use the stick.

I still disagree, especially since tab completion and snippets are a thing. In fact, I'd argue that not using an IDE can hurt you as a programmer for the reasons mentioned in Unimportant's post and others. An IDE can tell you how to write code the right way and it can expose you to features of the standard library you might not think to look up, but a text editor like Notepad++ just gives you syntax highlighting.

Nearly every kid starts with an automatic these days in America and it doesn't make them worse at driving. I started with an automatic and later learned to drive a manual and I had the advantage of already knowing how to handle a car once it gets going instead of having to learn everything at once. 30 years from now, kids might grow up with self driving cars.

Being able to troubleshoot and debug code at run time is just as valuable of a skill as spotting issues in static analysis, especially if the design of the code looks fine.

You don't need an IDE to do it, but you should have something that allows you to debug and trace through code at run time.

17 hours ago, ShadySocks said:

EWW. Stay away from VS. Use QT or literally any other IDE.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Also, learn C first. It's harder, but it makes you really learn what you are doing instead of having most stuff handled for you. I went from Java to C++ to C to C# and the transition was hell because of high level Java is compared to system languages. (C)

All of that above only applies if you want to be a professional. If it's just a hobby, pick the language that pertains to your interests.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

Well, I should respond now with my typical answer.

Language is somewhat irrelevant when it comes to learning how to program. What's more important are the basic concepts of how computers work and the general concepts of programming. After you learn that, learning a language is mostly an exercise in trying to figure out its syntax and nuances.

Do you know what you want to do use programming for?  The answer to that has a huge impact on where you should consider starting from.  E.g., if you want to ultimately work on OS coding, you'll probably want to start somewhere different than if you want to get into web development or data science or making games.

21 hours ago, ShadyOrb09 said:

In my personal opinion I'd pick C++ because it's just more widely used and if you ever wanted to make a game in Unreal for example you'll always have it under your belt. Though C# can do the exact same thing, so it's really whichever one you'd like. C# I think is more beginner friendly because things are just a lot more readable and simple. Simple apps can be made in C# if you choose Windows Application, but for making more modern UIs and better graphics etc. you'd be better off learning XAML too. Assuming you mean a Windows application and not a phone app, for a phone app I believe you have to use XAML, but I could be mistaken. :)

Ok thank you!

4 hours ago, Azgoth 2 said:

Do you know what you want to do use programming for?  The answer to that has a huge impact on where you should consider starting from.  E.g., if you want to ultimately work on OS coding, you'll probably want to start somewhere different than if you want to get into web development or data science or making games.

Where would you recommend to start if I want to make a mobile app? I have a good idea, just need to execute it, and I want the satisfaction and learning I can from actually developing the app.

4 hours ago, KhalFuego said:

Where would you recommend to start if I want to make a mobile app? I have a good idea, just need to execute it, and I want the satisfaction and learning I can from actually developing the app.

I'm not an expert on mobile coding but I hear Xcode is really good and user friendly. I don't know if it's android friendly though.