Need assist, custom loop EKWB L360 DDC pump not running

Need some input! Setting up a new custom loop with L360 kit from EKWB. Can't get the DDC pump to kick in?

Here's is what i've tried:

1) Jumpered the PSU (confirmed working as PSU fan runs). Plugged SATA power with SATA power adapter to "Pump testing adapter" but NO GO. Also, can't get a case fun to run with this method.

2) I've tried that SATA 'adapter" with another PC and can't make a fan go either. >Unplugged optical drive SATA and plugged in adapter and fun. NO GO.

3) I created a long extension cord for a fan header on another PC. And while that spins a case fan just fine, it won't make the pump go. I've turned up that fan header to 100%, but NO GO.

I'm worried that testing adapter is bad? And that I'm not getting enough voltage through the extension cords i've tried (makes fan go, but not pump) any ideas. I've submitted a ticket to EKWB, but hoping I can get a easy solution. The DDC pump in this kit ONLY has a 4 pin input.

Plug the pump directly into the PSU then used the included jumper to toggle to the power to see. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

12 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Plug the pump directly into the PSU then used the included jumper to toggle to the power to see. 

The pump only attaches to 4 pin PWM header > which matches the SATA adapter that was included. 

I know other models of pump have dual power input that would include a molex adapter, but this version does not.

I don't see anyway to 'directly connect to PSU'.

if you plug it directly into the PWM fan header and toggle the board, does it work that way?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, STRyKR said:

The pump only attaches to 4 pin PWM header > which matches the SATA adapter that was included. 

I know other models of pump have dual power input that would include a molex adapter, but this version does not.

I don't see anyway to 'directly connect to PSU'.

You just need an adapter to do so which is not a problem however you shouldn't ever run the pump dry as it uses the fluid it passes through as lubrication for the bearing.  

here is a pic of the adapter that comes with the kit.

even with a case fan, i'm not getting any response though.

bad pump is the easiest answer, but it is a new kit, never run without water.

i'm holding off on firing up the MB, as i haven't done any leak testing yet, and don't want to risk new components!

but if all else fails, that would be the last step. though not a good idea to run it without liquid filling the loop anyway!?

IMG_20170409_171312.jpg

1 minute ago, STRyKR said:

here is a pic of the adapter that comes with the kit.

even with a case fan, i'm not getting any response though.

bad pump is the easiest answer, but it is a new kit, never run without water.

i'm holding off on firing up the MB, as i haven't done any leak testing yet, and don't want to risk new components!

but if all else fails, that would be the last step

Its possible to have a component DOA not out of the question, but if that adapter will not even power a fan it sounds like you have a bad adapter or PSU, try hooking it onto another system to see if that is the case.

Thanks for input

yeah, i've tried a parallel system (unique power supply). Also the new build PSU fan runs when jumpered.

I guess i'll wait to hear from EKWB.

My best guess is that the pump needs a minimum amount of juice to start > hence the extension cord from another running PC (runs case fan) isn't working. But the fact that the SATA adapter doesn't even push a fan tells me the adapter is for sure problematic.

again, thanks for input!

Alright, got something to work...
My HTPC was serving as a test board on a chassis header, but i can't easily get at the 4 pin CPU fan header without dismantling the whole thing... Grabbed a small office (Kabini) PC from upstairs, and split the CPU header, and now i'm finally getting the pump to run...
My suspicions about the adapter, and the under voltage of the chassis fan headers was correct.

Which is why it's just easier to hook it all up as intended fire up the rig. A little water won't hurt anything. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz