Wanting to buy an S8. Can I switch phones without any problems?

Railgun

I currently have an iPhone 6, but I'm planning on pre-ordering the S8 through Sam's Club to take advantage of a deal. My carrier is Sprint. I want to know if I can just take out the SIM card from my iPhone and put it in the S8 and have it working perfectly without any issues, or if there's anything else I need to do to switch phones. I know NOTHING about Sprint or how these things work, but I've heard that it might be harder than just swapping out the SIM because of Sprint using a different method of service or something.

Thanks

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

To switch phones you have to call Sprint to activate the S8 on your account. 

Make sure you buy a Sprint phone too...

Sprint sucks, you should switch. :P With T-Mobile I just switch out the sim card, that's it. 

4 minutes ago, EpicGeekonFire said:

To switch phones you have to call Sprint to activate the S8 on your account. 

Make sure you buy a Sprint phone too...

Sprint sucks, you should switch. :P With T-Mobile I just switch out the sim card, that's it. 

Lol ik Sprint sucks. My house is legit in the middle of a dead zone. If we lose our wifi, we lose our phones too.

Thanks for the help

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

Just now, Railgun said:

Lol ik Sprint sucks. My house is legit in the middle of a dead zone. If we lose our wifi, we lose our phones too.

Just switch. I am sure there is a T-Mobile promotion for the S8.

T-Mobile FTW. Buying phones through them isn't great because other stuff comes installed but the pricing is awesome and if you go past your limit you don't get charged, your speeds just slow down.

There's a reason in Sprint's switching ads they only mention that they'll cut your AT&T and Verizon bill in half, not T-Mobile xD 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, EpicGeekonFire said:

Just switch. I am sure there is a T-Mobile promotion for the S8.

But now the question is if I buy the phone for Sprint now then switch later, can I keep the same phone?

2 minutes ago, Railgun said:

But now the question is if I buy the phone for Sprint now then switch later, can I keep the same phone?

No, only Sprint and Verizon use the same bands (CDMA) while AT&T and T-Mobile (along with most of the world) use GSM. Unless you buy a phone with both antennas in it, which I doubt any of the carriers will sell, then you are limited.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

No, only Sprint and Verizon use the same bands (CDMA) while AT&T and T-Mobile (along with most of the world) use GSM. Unless you buy a phone with both antennas in it, which I doubt any of the carriers will sell, then you are limited.

I see. That likely won't be a problem. If we were to switch carriers we would switch to Verizon because of a connection we have who could potentially give us a special deal.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Just now, Railgun said:

I see. That likely won't be a problem. If we were to switch carriers we would switch to Verizon because of a connection we have who could potentially give us a special deal.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I would double check to make 100% sure but I'm almost positive you can switch between Sprint and Verizon. Might be good to call and ask before hand :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

On 4/9/2017 at 2:16 PM, Lurick said:

I would double check to make 100% sure but I'm almost positive you can switch between Sprint and Verizon. Might be good to call and ask before hand :)

I wouldn't buy a Sprint phone if you want to use it on another carrier. You will have to get them to unlock it first, which is always a pain with them. 

Just leave em and activate a new Verizon phone.