Insane Stuttering in windowed games (RX 480)

GPU: RX 480

CPU: i5 4690k

RAM: 1866 2x8 HyperX Fury DDR3

Storage: 250GB Samsung EVO SSD

Hi, I've been experiencing a lot of issues in many of my games while playing in windowed or windowed fullscreen mode. The game experiences very bad stuttering even when there isn't much going on in the game. As soon as I switch to fullscreen, everything is buttery smooth. Very perplexing.

Here is one thing that I noticed...Whenever I end the Radeon Crimson process and proceed to launch a game in windowed mode, everything is smooth again. I suspected it was just a bad version of Radeon Crimson and decided to install a different version. Still got the same issues.

So far I can only get things to work in windowed mode by ending the Radeon Crimson software...any ideas?

Disable fast boot in Windows, see if it helped. 

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Settings -> (On the right side) Chose what power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable -> Uncheck TURN ON FAST STARTUP

For me this causes stuttering and FPS drops to 20-22 when playing in Windowed/Borderless, when I disable fast startup everything works just fine for me.

11 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Disable fast boot in Windows, see if it helped. 

Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Settings -> (On the right side) Chose what power buttons do -> Change settings that are currently unavailable -> Uncheck TURN ON FAST STARTUP

For me this causes stuttering and FPS drops to 20-22 when playing in Windowed/Borderless, when I disable fast startup everything works just fine for me.

Thanks, but unfortunately this didn't work for me.

A couple more things I'd like to add to help describe my issue for everyone else:
1. It's not necessarily an FPS drop, it's more like my game is hiccuping. It's smooth for like 2 seconds then hiccups. This repeats over and over as long as I'm in windowed mode.
2. My GPU has a bit of coil whine while I game. I noticed that whenever my GPU has a "hiccup", the coil whine goes away, then it comes back after the hiccup is finished. This happens over and over with every hiccup.

4 minutes ago, shinryu333 said:

Thanks, but unfortunately this didn't work for me.

A couple more things I'd like to add to help describe my issue for everyone else:
1. It's not necessarily an FPS drop, it's more like my game is hiccuping. It's smooth for like 2 seconds then hiccups. This repeats over and over as long as I'm in windowed mode.
2. My GPU has a bit of coil whine while I game. I noticed that whenever my GPU has a "hiccup", the coil whine goes away, then it comes back after the hiccup is finished. This happens over and over with every hiccup.

the coil whine thing is probably because of something else using up resources on your PC and therefore introducing a temporary CPU bottleneck, not letting the GPU work very hard, so the coil whine stops.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

If you have things running in the background like your browser or Spotify, it will cause this. I know the benefits of windowed mode, but the performance loss and hitches are not worth it for me.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Thanks for the tips guys. It turns out it was because of my chrome with my 20+ tabs open. Windowed mode doesn't like it too much.

12 minutes ago, shinryu333 said:

Thanks for the tips guys. It turns out it was because of my chrome with my 20+ tabs open. Windowed mode doesn't like it too much.

Oh gosh hahaha! Yeah that will do it! That will effect the frame rate not just in windows mode but also in fullscreen.