Upgrade from R9 390

Hi everybody,

Looking to upgrade my graphics card, I have an R9 390 paired with an FX 8350 at the moment with a 850W Platinium PSU.

Any advice on whether I should:

(a) Sell the R9 390 and get a new card.

(b) Get a second R9 390.

(c) Get new CPU and wait for GPU upgrade.

I have a Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 motherboard if that makes a difference.

Sell the cpu and get a r7 1700 or r5 1600 with motherboard and ram?

Depending what your budget is.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, philipthomp said:

(c) Get new CPU and wait for GPU upgrade.

Definitely CPU, you already have a pretty good GPU

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

I would get a new CPU. Bulldozer is kinda crap. If you get a 10 series or Vega you will get CPU bottlenecking. IPC is just so bad. I would go for Ryzen 7 or 5 if you need to do other stuff than gaming such as content creation modding and stuff like that. If you are only going to play games i5 or i7. i5 is kinda risky since games are starting to utilse more and more cores so a i7 7700k would be good. I'm pretty sure you can overclock it to 5 GHz since my 6700k is stable at 4.8 GHz but not sure. If you are 100% sure you will stick with an AMD GPU you might as well get a Ryzen chip. Ryzen works great with AMD graphics cards.

EDIT: As others are saying the R9 390 is a good GPU. It will last at least an other year. And like I said a GPU won't do much because the FX 8350 will bottleneck

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k | Motherboard: AsRock Fatality Z170 Gaming K6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz Red

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 | Case: Corsair Carbide Clear 400C | Storage: PNY CS1311 480GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x

Display(s): Samsung S24D390HL 23,6"(looking to upgrade) | Cooling: Corsair H110i GT | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown switches

Mouse: Corsair Sabre optical | Sound: AKG K273 and Blue Yeti microphone | Operating System: Windows 10

Sweet so a CPU upgrade is the plan rather than going graphics just yet.

Thanks for the help, been out of the pc building game for a while so havent really been keeping up to date with things.