Backblaze Publishes Findings on Consumer Hard Drive Longevity

CapnCrunch

Interesting.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Very interesting read, thanks for posting. I think my HDD is still safe for about a year before the rate gets higher.

This is really interesting.

I expected the bathtub style curve, but expected the increasing rate of faliures to be occuring more like 2 years in.

This really says something about the engineering going into hard drive manufacture.

A magnetic head floating 2nm above a platter rotating at 5000rpm+, operating 24/7 (at least 2628000000 revolutions of that disk per year).

The fact that it lasts 4 hours is impressive, yet alone 4 years!

Somewhere in an older post they also said that heat is a low factor for failure for them.  They even decided to reduce fan usage.

My Rigs (past and present)

This lines up with my experince almost to a T except for a seagate hard drive I had that lasted 7 years.

i saw this at extremetech yesterday

but i hate the fact that when those big companies publish hard drive failure info

they NEVER tell us what drives are better and what are worse

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

i saw this at extremetech yesterday

but i hate the fact that when those big companies publish hard drive failure info

they NEVER tell us what drives are better and what are worse

They could simply have had an exclusive supply contract with one of the manufacturers.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.