Help me choose a motherboard...

Go to solution Solved by FlightRisk,

Oops about the 4 months, oh well.

How is this? https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-Z270-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B01MQTDBOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491605711&sr=8-1&keywords=TUF+Z270+MARK+2

I may have missed some features as it is rather late where I am and am very tired.

Incase you did not know when it comes to selecting a Motherboard on PCpartpicker you can narrow down the searches quite a lot. Check the below link out if the above Motherboard doesn't meet your requirements. There is about 25 Motherboards (maximum) to look at in price order so it should make your selection much much easier. The main holdout on requested features I could see from quickly looking at the cheapest Motherboards there was a dual BIOS/recovery feature.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=30&f=2&c=119&l=2&K=4,10&E=2,3&N=4,16&L=4&h=2,8&sort=a8

Hope this helps.

Please help me choose a motherboard – there is just too many of them out there!

Feature set I want/need:

• ATX sized 1151-Z270 Chipset
  • BIOS reset/flashback
  • 2x PCIe Gen 3.0, 2-way SLI support – reinforced would be nice but not required
  • 2x NVMe M.2 slots with RIAD 0 support, at least 22x80mm long
  • At least 4x SATA 6G ports
  • 4x DIMM dual channel - XMP support (obviously)
  • 1x front USB 2.0 header (for 2 ports), 1x front USB 3.0 header (for 2 ports), 1x front USB 3.1 header
  • An adequate number of fan headers (minimum 5) and a good PWM fan control feature for case and 2xCPU fans, a fan extension header is a nice to have but not required.
  • A lot (8-10) rear USB ports (4x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.0 – or some combination), including at least 1x USB 3.1 type A & C
  • Overclocking & water-cooling features NOT a requirement – but good to have, Looks is not important as this MB is going to be in a windowless case, Sound features not important.

Is there something missing in my feature wish-list you would recommend?

The best I can find is the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX Hero, but it is expensive… Gigabyte boards are made locally in South Africa so they are cheaper.

Just now, Kilobytez95 said:

Clearly you're just too lazy because there are tons of high end boards that will have everything you want and more.

I've spent more than 2 months on this, doing intense research: first figuring out all the new tech (I was way outdated) and then figuring out exactly what I need. Now I've looked at tons of boards from Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte but each have more than one category and its hard to find one with the above-mentioned feature set without emptying my wallet. What would you recommend, to you know of a cheaper board that would fit my need or are you just going to insult me?

Just now, Spikkel said:

I've spent more than 2 months on this, doing intense research: first figuring out all the new tech (I was way outdated) and then figuring out exactly what I need. Now I've looked at tons of boards from Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte but each have more than one category and its hard to find one with the above-mentioned feature set without emptying my wallet. What would you recommend, to you know of a cheaper board that would fit my need or are you just going to insult me?

You basically want it all for next to nothing? You know that isn't going to happen right?

You basically want it all for next to nothing? You know that isn't going to happen right?

I'm willing to compromise here and there. 

This isnt constructive. 

Op- you can check it this board - http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nY8H99/gigabyte-ga-z270x-gaming-8-atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-z270x-gaming-8

You may need to buy a pcie USB card to get all the USB ports you want. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

Just now, bgibbz said:

This isnt constructive. 

Op- you can check it this board - http://pcpartpicker.com/product/nY8H99/gigabyte-ga-z270x-gaming-8-atx-lga1151-motherboard-ga-z270x-gaming-8

You may need to buy a pcie USB card to get all the USB ports you want. 

It wasn't meant to be. He is basically asking for a board that doesn't exist in the price range he wants.

1 minute ago, Spikkel said:

I need an 1151 for i7 7700 - need higher clock speed for lighroom. The only feature I can't compromise on.

Then get just about any motherboard with most of what you want. Maybe get rid of some native USB ports and but a USB controller card. You really aren't going to get a board with everything you want unless you go uber high end.

If you have been looking for 4 months and claim to have not found anything which suits your criteria, I would suggest explaining what features you can and cannot compromise on and also a ballpark figure of how much you can afford.

2 minutes ago, FlightRisk said:

If you have been looking for 4 months and claim to have not found anything which suits your criteria, I would suggest explaining what features you can and cannot compromise on and also a ballpark figure of how much you can afford.

13 minutes ago, Spikkel said:

I've spent more than 2 months on this, doing intense research: first figuring out all the new tech (I was way outdated) and then figuring out exactly what I need.

Spent most of the time learning about the new stuff and figuring out what I need/want, I'm a bit overwhelmed at all the options. As for budget, anything cheaper than the Asus maximus 9 hero. But if there no competition I'll take it.

As for compromises: 

• 1151 - need this
  • ATX size max, can be smaller if everything will fit.
  • BIOS reset/flashback - want it, lost a MB in the past with currupted BIOS
  • 2x PCIe Gen 3.0, 2-way SLI support – reinforced would be nice but not required - can do with just 1x 16x
  • 2x NVMe M.2 slots with RIAD 0 support, at least 22x80mm long - need this
  • At least 4x SATA 6G ports - jip, minimum 4
  • 4x DIMM dual channel - XMP support (obviously)
  • 1x front USB 2.0 header (for 2 ports), 1x front USB 3.0 header (for 2 ports), 1x front USB 3.1 header - ok this is obviously 'nice to haves'
  • An adequate number of fan headers (minimum 5) and a good PWM fan control feature for case and 2xCPU fans, a fan extension header is a nice to have but not required. - can make this 4x headers with 1 being CPU
  • A lot (8-10) rear USB ports (4x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.0 – or some combination), including at least 1x USB 3.1 type A & C - if those expantion cards are not too expensive these can be less. I think a 4x USB 3.0 was about 20USD in my area
  • Overclocking & water-cooling features NOT a requirement – but good to have, Looks is not important as this MB is going to be in a windowless case, Sound features not important.

Oops about the 4 months, oh well.

How is this? https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-TUF-Z270-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B01MQTDBOO/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1491605711&sr=8-1&keywords=TUF+Z270+MARK+2

I may have missed some features as it is rather late where I am and am very tired.

Incase you did not know when it comes to selecting a Motherboard on PCpartpicker you can narrow down the searches quite a lot. Check the below link out if the above Motherboard doesn't meet your requirements. There is about 25 Motherboards (maximum) to look at in price order so it should make your selection much much easier. The main holdout on requested features I could see from quickly looking at the cheapest Motherboards there was a dual BIOS/recovery feature.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/motherboard/#s=30&f=2&c=119&l=2&K=4,10&E=2,3&N=4,16&L=4&h=2,8&sort=a8

Hope this helps.

18 hours ago, FlightRisk said:

Hope this helps.

Now this was helpful, thank you very much!