Overheating i7 4770K Can't Find A Fix!

Go to solution Solved by Simon771,
8 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Yeah that's bad TIM inside the cpu then, if the cpu is 84°C and the cooler is "warm to the touch" it's barely moving any heat. If there was good TIM it should be hot AF and impossible to touch for a few seconds.

As suggested above, delid, change TIM and put the lid back.

It also depends how fast do your temps jump up.

In my case, i7 4790k on stock settings jumps from 35°C idle to 75°C in 5sec after turning on AIDA64. Then after 20min after my water loops get a bit more hot, it comes to 85°C max.

So if your temps jump to 80 in few secounds, that's bad adhesive inside your CPU for sure. TIM itself is not half bad inside the CPU, but there is too much adhesive (black "glue that's holding together IHS and CPU plate).

Deliding would solve your problem, but to be more safe, you would need to buy delidding tool. You can do it with razor, but it's very hard and a lot of people destroy CPUs that way. You can use vice method, but again risk of bending CPU plate. Most safe way is delididing tool from rootki88 or der8gauzer or something like that. But it does cost extra money.

I gave up on my 4790k and I just leave it at stock settings. I already ordered delidding tool, but after 1 month I still didn't get it (always out of stock), so I ended up taking my money back and decided simply not to delid it. Less problems and risks in the end. I already feel bad for the guy who will buy this CPU from me in 1-2 years when I decide to upgrade my rig with soldered CPU xD 

It's same as i7 4790k .... too much adhesive inside CPU.

Your only option is to delid CPU.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

Run a stress test for 15-20 minutes and touch with your finger the cpu heatsink.

Then report with how hot it feels and if it's possible to hold your finger on it or something, just describe the touch experience.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Hitting 72c in a stress test and you're worried about that? Shit, you don't even want to know what my 7700k hits then.

31 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

4770k is known for high temps

29 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

It's same as i7 4790k .... too much adhesive inside CPU.

Your only option is to delid CPU.

what they say.

delid and apply better TIM ;)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

12 minutes ago, MrNangle said:

Yes, there are two heatsinks on it due to it being a two fan design, the one which expels the air from the case is warm to touch and i can feel the warm air coming out

Yeah that's bad TIM inside the cpu then, if the cpu is 84°C and the cooler is "warm to the touch" it's barely moving any heat. If there was good TIM it should be hot AF and impossible to touch for a few seconds.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

8 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

It also depends how fast do your temps jump up.

In my case, i7 4790k on stock settings jumps from 35°C idle to 75°C in 5sec after turning on AIDA64. Then after 20min after my water loops get a bit more hot, it comes to 85°C max.

So if your temps jump to 80 in few secounds, that's bad adhesive inside your CPU for sure. TIM itself is not half bad inside the CPU, but there is too much adhesive (black "glue that's holding together IHS and CPU plate).

Deliding would solve your problem, but to be more safe, you would need to buy delidding tool. You can do it with razor, but it's very hard and a lot of people destroy CPUs that way. You can use vice method, but again risk of bending CPU plate. Most safe way is delididing tool from rootki88 or der8gauzer or something like that. But it does cost extra money.

I gave up on my 4790k and I just leave it at stock settings. I already ordered delidding tool, but after 1 month I still didn't get it (always out of stock), so I ended up taking my money back and decided simply not to delid it. Less problems and risks in the end. I already feel bad for the guy who will buy this CPU from me in 1-2 years when I decide to upgrade my rig with soldered CPU xD 

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB