WHY is my PC using so much ram??

idonthaveklutch

Here's the scoop: I have 8GB of ddr3 ram and im sure my build is down below or something but at idle with no programs open my PC is using 65% of my ram. I disabled my page file and the usage was down significantly but now its back up. I can't even play csgo because when i open it it crashes and says i'm low on memory. Does anyone know why its doing this? 

6 minutes ago, PaperLuigi said:

Might be a virus 

How do i diagnose it?

open taskmanager,go to details,sort by memory usage and tell us what using it/send a screenshot

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

4 minutes ago, idonthaveklutch said:

Here's the scoop: I have 8GB of ddr3 ram and im sure my build is down below or something but at idle with no programs open my PC is using 65% of my ram. I disabled my page file and the usage was down significantly but now its back up. I can't even play csgo because when i open it it crashes and says i'm low on memory. Does anyone know why its doing this? 

DO YOU HAVE LOADS OF TABS OPEN IN YOUR BROWSER AND DO YOU USE CHROME? cant be bothered typing that again ignore the caps lock I'm not shouting.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

6 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

DO YOU HAVE LOADS OF TABS OPEN IN YOUR BROWSER AND DO YOU USE CHROME? cant be bothered typing that again ignore the caps lock I'm not shouting.

no i exit out of everything

Just now, idonthaveklutch said:

no i exit out of everything

don't know then did you open task manager and sort by usage so we can see that'll tell you/us.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

7 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

don't know then did you open task manager and sort by usage so we can see that'll tell you/us.

Screenshot (1).png

10 minutes ago, idonthaveklutch said:

I disabled my page file

Why would you do that?  That's a terrible idea.

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Why would you do that?  That's a terrible idea.

I posted months ago and thats what everyone told me to do. It worked fine until recently

1 minute ago, idonthaveklutch said:

Screenshot (1).png

Looks like Google Chrome is using quite a bit of memory. You could also have bloatware/maleware so I suggest downloading a anti-virus software that also removes bloatware....just don't get Macfee.

2 minutes ago, idonthaveklutch said:

Screenshot (1).png

Hrm that is weird it says you're not using that much, you don't have a ram disk set up do you?

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

6 minutes ago, RAM555789 said:

Looks like Google Chrome is using quite a bit of memory. You could also have bloatware/maleware so I suggest downloading a anti-virus software that also removes bloatware....just don't get Macfee.

without chrome

Screenshot (2).png

3 minutes ago, idonthaveklutch said:

I posted months ago and thats what everyone told me to do. It worked fine until recently

Well enable it again. It's just a safety net. If you have enough RAM, your pagefile won't be used. If you don't have enough, it will keep your system from crashing. Whatever moron told you to disable it doesn't understand the purpose. 

Check out Resource Monitor for more details on usage. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, idonthaveklutch said:

without chrome

Screenshot (2).png

I know it's a pain but sometimes it's just easier to do a fresh install to sort these kinds of problems because your pc doesn't even think you're using much ram sounds like a virus to me.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

So i just scanned my system using the malwarebytes program and it found 4 threats. After i "quarantined" them and restarted im at 27% used. Hopefully it stays at that

So i just scanned my system using the malwarebytes program and it found 4 threats. After i "quarantined" them and restarted im at 27% used. Hopefully it stays at that

What were the type of threats it detected?  PUPs?  Malware?

1 minute ago, idonthaveklutch said:

Well please enable your pagefile.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

great news so rare that anti virus softwares actually work still good to do a fresh install as virus's can change important system files in ways the antivirus softwares can't detect or fix.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

6 minutes ago, moderategamer said:

great news so rare that anti virus softwares actually work still good to do a fresh install as virus's can change important system files in ways the antivirus softwares can't detect or fix.

A fresh install isn't necessary just because of some malware.  You're being paranoid.  It's unlikely that they got administrative access.  Most likely it was adware or something.  Even if there's something wrong, it can usually be fixed with sfc /scannow

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

A fresh install isn't necessary just because of some malware.  You're being paranoid.  It's unlikely that they got administrative access.  Most likely it was adware or something.  Even if there's something wrong, it can usually be fixed with sfc /scannow

Fair point but unlikely is an indicator to me that it's worth while better to be on the safe side. I would always do a fresh install when I have a virus that's messing with my system.

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass