Only a small subset of Windows phones to get Creators Update

Nowak
Just now, Daring said:

Odd, my Pixel has been almost flawless.

As I said, they were in demo mode-which was supposed to show off the features but did nothing except make them look bad (if Android on it is anything like custom almost-stripped-bare ROMs, that I'd expect to run perfectly)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

As I said, they were in demo mode-which was supposed to show off the features but did nothing except make them look bad (if Android on it is anything like custom almost-stripped-bare ROMs, that I'd expect to run perfectly)

It is running stock Android, yes. Only difference is a custom, Google-developed launcher, but since it's just a standard launcher it can be replaced easily.

16 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Considering how few people own a Windows Phone, if Microsoft was serious about it they'd be trying to support all phones running it until they have a large enough market share.

I'm sorry. I don't control Foxconn, HMD or Nokia.

All of these companies want nothing to do with Windows on Phones.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

Probably because the market share is so tiny, it isn't really worth it to invest R&D into making a new Windows phone anymore. Windows Phone did no favors to Nokia, anyway.

8 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Microsoft has the money, so they could certainly pay them enough to manufacture a phone for them, or as they are doing with Samsung, phone manufacturers to release a model with their OS. My point was that Microsoft was serious about it, they would support all devices running Windows Mobile until their market share was large enough to start dropping it off.

PMSL

8 hours ago, Daring said:

Windows Phone did no favors to Nokia, anyway.

Not true at all. For those who are so eager to remind people that Nokia now sells Androids phones, that is because of Windows Phone and Microsoft. Nokia's phone business was dying. That they are here at all is because of Microsoft.

You can hate their business decisions, but to say Nokia would have been better off is blatantly wrong.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Not true at all. For those who are so eager to remind people that Nokia now sells Androids phones, that is because of Windows Phone and Microsoft. Nokia's phone business was dying. That they are here at all is because of Microsoft.

You can hate their business decisions, but to say Nokia would have been better off is blatantly wrong.

Nokia's phone business was dying because they didn't jump on the Android train.

They stuck with Symbian for too long, then they started making Windows phones, and then Microsoft bought them and put them on life support.

If they hadn't fucked around with Symbian and Windows phone to begin with then chances are they would have been in Samsung's position right now.

But it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight. They didn't know Symbian was a dead end, and that Microsoft would mistreat Windows Phone so horribly as they did and continues to do.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Nokia's phone business was dying because they didn't jump on the Android train.

They stuck with Symbian for too long, then they started making Windows phones, and then Microsoft bought them and put them on life support.

If they hadn't fucked around with Symbian and Windows phone to begin with then chances are they would have been in Samsung's position right now.

But it's easy to have 20/20 hindsight. They didn't know Symbian was a dead end, and that Microsoft would mistreat Windows Phone so horribly as they did and continues to do.

Yeah but now you're talking about going back in time and changing the past.

I could just as easily say "Yeah well Windows could have been the #1 mobile OS if they had released Windows Phone 7 a year before iOS and Android came out!"

Nokia should have jumped on the Android train EARLY to establish themselves as one of the top tier guys. Jumping on the train late would have just made them "just another Android manufacturer". Which is basically what they are (or will be) today.

All of what you say is true... yet does not change my point in any fundamental way. Based on the actions that did happen (they kept Symbian and didn't go Android early), their business was dying, and they needed the amount of money only a few companies could offer - Microsoft being one of them.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

that Microsoft would mistreat Windows Phone so horribly as they did and continues to do.

Well, Stephen Elop worked for Microsoft before being hired as Nokia's CEO. Of course he would choose software developed by his former employer.

On 2017-04-08 at 2:13 PM, Dabombinable said:

People probably forget to close apps after they are finished with them, which makes the device seem like its slowed down a lot. Combine that with background tasks and

Apple loving dual cores means that their devices become unusable.

Except there aren't really any background process on iOS and again there isn't any solid evidence to back that up. Electronics get slower. There is no real way around that. However Apple is not purposely coding the newer OSs to slow down the old devices.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

13 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Except there aren't really any background process on iOS and again there isn't any solid evidence to back that up. Electronics get slower. There is no real way around that. However Apple is not purposely coding the newer OSs to slow down the old devices.

There are process in the background if you have apps open. iOS doesn't pause or halt programs that aren't in focus if its low on resources.

PMSL

14 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

There are process in the background if you have apps open. iOS doesn't pause or halt programs that aren't in focus if its low on resources.

Besides specific apps like GPS's ro music everything I can find says iOS suspends apps that don't have focus. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

25 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

Besides specific apps like GPS's ro music everything I can find says iOS suspends apps that don't have focus. 

Then why would having apps open in the background cause it to slow down a lot?

PMSL

11 hours ago, Bensemus said:

This matches what I experience on my iPhone. Apps halt when switching away and then continue when you return to them.

11 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

Then why would having apps open in the background cause it to slow down a lot?

It doesn't, at least not to a noticeable degree. I usually close apps in the background. To test this, I opened ten apps at once - without noticeable impact on performance.

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

7 hours ago, Tataffe said:

This matches what I experience on my iPhone. Apps halt when switching away and then continue when you return to them.

It doesn't, at least not to a noticeable degree. I usually close apps in the background. To test this, I opened ten apps at once - without noticeable impact on performance.

Agreed. @Dabombinable I have an iPhone 6s. I literally never close background apps most of the time. And my phone feels just as fast as right after I boot it up (or close all the background apps, or when it was brand new out of the box), as it does after 8 hours at work and I've got 30 background apps open still.

On 4/5/2017 at 6:25 PM, Droidbot said:

The issue is that Apple uses iOS as a way to kill older devices, especially the performance. iPhone 4 iOS7, iPhone 4S iOS8, iPhone 5 iOS9.. 

At least when Google stops supporting a device they leave it smooth and fast feeling. 

Meh, in all fairness iOS 7 was a significantly heavier OS than iOS 6 before it. Maybe Apple should've left it at iOS 6.[whatever] but it's not unusable.

Hell, from what I've seen the iPhone 5(c) runs absolutely fine under iOS 10.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed. @Dabombinable I have an iPhone 6s. I literally never close background apps most of the time. And my phone feels just as fast as right after I boot it up (or close all the background apps, or when it was brand new out of the box), as it does after 8 hours at work and I've got 30 background apps open still.

Well its not like that on my iPad mini 3.

PMSL

7 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Well its not like that on my iPad mini 3.

Don't know what to tell you. Try doing a factory reset and see if that solves your problems? My iPhone 6s has been flawless in terms of performance, and I never close background apps.

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That's because IOS does things for you.

It ensures background apps are not able to access RAM. It ensures that only the app being used at the present time is allowed to allocate RAM or any resources.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Don't know what to tell you. Try doing a factory reset and see if that solves your problems? My iPhone 6s has been flawless in terms of performance, and I never close background apps.

The iPad Mini 3 has 1GB RAM. Your 6S has 2GB RAM.

IOS does not run well on 1GB devices anymore. This is a fact of life.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

The iPad Mini 3 has 1GB RAM. Your 6S has 2GB RAM.

IOS does not run well on 1GB devices anymore. This is a fact of life.

Try a 512MB RAM device, my dad is still hanging onto his iPhone 4. Not even a 4S, just a 4.

@Daring

UPDATE: Microsoft clarified to Windows Insiders that those devices which are not supported CAN run Windows 10 Creators Update. People can run it effectively at their own risk. Microsoft will not actively block these devices but they weren't chosen to be supported for a reason. Insiders may have complained about having a bad experience on some of the older devices missing from the list hence their removal of support.

Devices not on this list will not officially receive the Windows 10 Creators Update nor will they receive any future builds from our Development Branch that we release as part of the Windows Insider Program. However, Windows Insiders who have devices not on this list can still keep these devices on the Windows 10 Creators Update at their own risk knowing that it’s unsupported.

We recognize that many Insiders will be disappointed to see their device is no longer supported. We looked at feedback from our Windows Insiders and realized that we were not providing the best possible experience for our customers on many older devices. That helped us determine which devices we support for the Windows 10 Creators Update. We are continually listening to your feedback to provide the best experience for ALL of our customers.

Source: Head of Windows Insider Programme