Google being bombarded by gov't requests for user data

Morpheus

*facepalms hard* I'll let you figure out on your own where your train of thought, research, reading, and comprehension skills failed you this time around. Get back to me when you understand more.

. Hey, next time a woman is getting harassed and threatened by an ex-boyfriend via a gmail account, I guess we should not let the police get the information?

I simply told you that people are big enough to protect themselves. If they can't, then they should realize that they are in danger and go to the police themselves. They don't need the FBI or NSA to hold their hand. Not sure what part I didn't understand

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

So... raise of hands, who believes this is all the NSA? *keeps hand down*. Remember peoples, part of our Government includes the FBI, State and Local police forces and other federal agencies. Hey, next time a woman is getting harassed and threatened by an ex-boyfriend via a gmail account, I guess we should not let the police get the information?

Then they can get a fucking warrant.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

do you work for the nsa since ur so butt hurt about this ?

No, I am not employed at NSA or any other Intelligence Agency.

I simply told you that people are big enough to protect themselves. If they can't, then they should realize that they are in danger and go to the police themselves. They don't need the FBI or NSA to hold their hand. Not sure what part I didn't understand

You stated "The woman has the choice to report the harassment herself. If s doesn't and something happens, it's her fault" which was in response to this phrase of mine, "Hey, next time a woman is getting harassed and threatened by an ex-boyfriend via a gmail account, I guess we should not let the police get the information?" Now where YOU went wrong, like others, is that you took the total number to just be the NSA, and you would be wrong according to the Source Article. Shall I quote it for you or can you click the source article and actually read it all the way through?

Then they can get a fucking warrant.

You mean like they already are? I mean people, read, its not that hard. Here let me point something out to you, its a gosh darn direct quote for crying out loud!

"It bears noting that many government requests for user data are of a rather routine law enforcement nature. Of the 10,918 requests made by the US in the first half of 2013, for instance, 68 percent were subpoenas, and 22 percent were warrants, according to Google." -Direct f'n quote. Read people, show you have some reading skills, its not THAT hard.

No, I am not employed at NSA or any other Intelligence Agency.

You stated "The woman has the choice to report the harassment herself. If s doesn't and something happens, it's her fault" which was in response to this phrase of mine, "Hey, next time a woman is getting harassed and threatened by an ex-boyfriend via a gmail account, I guess we should not let the police get the information?" Now where YOU went wrong, like others, is that you took the total number to just be the NSA, and you would be wrong according to the Source Article. Shall I quote it for you or can you click the source article and actually read it all the way through?

You mean like they already are? I mean people, read, its not that hard. Here let me point something out to you, its a gosh darn direct quote for crying out loud!

"It bears noting that many government requests for user data are of a rather routine law enforcement nature. Of the 10,918 requests made by the US in the first half of 2013, for instance, 68 percent were subpoenas, and 22 percent were warrants, according to Google." -Direct f'n quote. Read people, show you have some reading skills, its not THAT hard.

I don't care if it's fucking Santa Claus spying on me. I don't want it. I don't care which government corporation is spying on citizens of the US.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

as long as they dont punish people for small crimes they unknowingly have done or come knocking down peoples door for weak suspicions i am ok with the government monitoring. what i dont think is correct is spying on people without suspicion, like the German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I don't care if it's fucking Santa Claus spying on me. I don't want it. I don't care which government corporation is spying on citizens of the US.

Uhmmmm, I think you are confused with what is going on here.

as long as they dont punish people for small crimes they unknowingly have done or come knocking down peoples door for weak suspicions i am ok with the government monitoring. what i dont think is correct is spying on people without suspicion, like the German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Well, its honestly something that is hard to understand, I will give you that. But the fact is, its how the real world works. Its one of those dirty little secrets, everyone does it. If you don't think that the Germans would do it in a heartbeat, you'd be crazy, they'd bug POTUS in a New York minute. We all do it, every nation that has a Intel arm. 

Well, its honestly something that is hard to understand, I will give you that. But the fact is, its how the real world works. Its one of those dirty little secrets, everyone does it. If you don't think that the Germans would do it in a heartbeat, you'd be crazy, they'd bug POTUS in a New York minute. We all do it, every nation that has a Intel arm. 

Yea but to the extent that the Gov was spying on Mrs. Merkel, basically tapping her conversations, is not something you should be doing to an ally. I know everybody does it but I think since this has all gotten out, their has been a massive loss of trust to a point in which i believe it was better when it wasn't leaked. In my opinion, the Snowden leaks have done more harm than good for the nation.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Yea but to the extent that the Gov was spying on Mrs. Merkel, basically tapping her conversations, is not something you should be doing to an ally. I know everybody does it but I think since this has all gotten out, their has been a massive loss of trust to a point in which i believe it was better when it wasn't leaked. In my opinion, the Snowden leaks have done more harm than good for the nation.

Thats the crux of the problem, everything thinks Snowden is a hero and anyone that says otherwise is evil, when he's nothing more then a traitor. Snowden has done more damage to this Country then Hanssen and Ames combined ever did, in my opinion. And that is saying a lot, considering they have bodies on their name. I think with time, people will understand how damaging Snowden was, but right now its too fresh. 

As far as the tapping, there is an old joke in DC, about the phones and who is listening. But a better one would be look around New York and DC, you'll find the tell tale chalk marks all over the city. Its because its the way of life.

I think that many politicians are jealous of the US's foreknowledge and want that kind of power too. I know the politicians in my country are and that they will try everything to get that power. And they claim to be liberals, yeah right... The amount of request are in no connection with the amount of trails there are when someones internet behavior is useful. Politicians just want to know because it gives them power.

OK, a couple of things here. It is constitutionally wrong for any US government to spy on American people without proper warrants issued by judges. The NSA and government branches have done this a little bit here and there and sometimes have been called to the rug on it. Most developed (and "democratic") countries (to my understanding, though I've not researched it) generally have similar laws on their books. So, we know the NSA gets information on US citizens, right? So the question is how and the following is my assumption as I have no proof on actual numbers - some are warrants and requests for information, even less is most likely from illegal actions of them spying on their citizens, and most likely a majority of the information is gathered from ally organizations who can legally spy on US citizens and trade such information to NSA while the NSA spies on their citizens. There are many ways to get around legal issues and government has always been good at trying to circumvent that.

Next, the debate between cost of NSA (saving of life) vs. car fatalities - that's a utterly horrible comparison that can't be done. First off, prove the negative. How many people can you prove have had their lives saved because of drunk driving adds/programs? How many lives has the NSA saved - dare I ask how you can get those accurate numbers? Yes, fatalities have gone down for car fatalities, but are you going to say that car technology hasn't saved any of those lives in drunk driving accidents and/or that technology in cars haven't protected lives and stopped accidents?