Looking for 1440p 144hz monitor

BillyDoz

Looking to buy a new monitor that is 1440p,144hz, and preferably ips. I have an GTX 970, upgrading to a 1080 soon so I would also need it to have gsync. Any good monitor for gaming that is under 700?

6 minutes ago, BillyDoz said:

Looking to buy a new monitor that is 1440p,144hz, and preferably ips. I have an GTX 970, upgrading to a 1080 soon so I would also need it to have gsync. Any good monitor for gaming that is under 700?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWJMM1S/

dell s2716dg

I own it. Love it. 1440p. 144hz gsync. I got it on sale for $500 at Microcenter. It IS a TN. However, I am a HUGE IPS fan and this is pretty darn close and tbh I can't really tell the diff with the ICC profile set. I think it is a good buy

6 minutes ago, BillyDoz said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=144,240&A=1&sort=a8&page=1

These are your options. The Dell S2417DG is a TN panel, but a really high quality TN panel. 165hz refresh rate and G-Sync, while being really sharp at 1440p 24 inches. The AG271QC, XB271HU, XG2703 and PG279Q all use the exact same AU Optronics panel, which are very hit or miss at the moment. I'd say, save yourself $300 and go with the S2417DG. It's essentially the same as the S1716DG, but 3 inches smaller, $100-$200 cheaper, and 165hz (vs 144hz on the 27 inch version).

If you absolutely need a 27 inch monitor, then feel free to choose any of the others. It's essentially a gamble on those AUO IPS panels though. Most people have issues with specific quadrants of the screens showing different hues of colors, and others (specifically with the Viewsonic version) have noticed a perfectly symmetrical square burned into the panel, exactly where the G-Sync module is located. Granted, the friend that had this issue, was doing some shenanigans to try to force G-Sync and Lightboost to be enabled at the same time (a trick that often works on both the Dell TN's from AUO), so take from that what you will.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

2 minutes ago, MageTank said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#r=256001440&H=144,240&A=1&sort=a8&page=1

These are your options. The Dell S2417DG is a TN panel, but a really high quality TN panel. 165hz refresh rate and G-Sync, while being really sharp at 1440p 24 inches. The AG271QC, XB271HU, XG2703 and PG279Q all use the exact same AU Optronics panel, which are very hit or miss at the moment. I'd say, save yourself $300 and go with the S2417DG. It's essentially the same as the S1716DG, but 3 inches smaller, $100-$200 cheaper, and 165hz (vs 144hz on the 27 inch version).

If you absolutely need a 27 inch monitor, then feel free to choose any of the others. It's essentially a gamble on those AUO IPS panels though. Most people have issues with specific quadrants of the screens showing different hues of colors, and others (specifically with the Viewsonic version) have noticed a perfectly symmetrical square burned into the panel, exactly where the G-Sync module is located. Granted, the friend that had this issue, was doing some shenanigans to try to force G-Sync and Lightboost to be enabled at the same time (a trick that often works on both the Dell TN's from AUO), so take from that what you will.

Thanks! The dell definitely seems like the best bang for the buck. Just need to decide between 24 and 27

4 minutes ago, BillyDoz said:

Thanks! The dell definitely seems like the best bang for the buck. Just need to decide between 24 and 27

Both are extremely high quality TN panels. By far the best I have seen. I've used the 24 inch personally, and have seen the 27 inch in person at Microcenter. I will say, the 24 inch version looks better to me, since it is smaller (sharper text, and smaller screen means less drastic viewing angles). Both units suffer from poor out of the box gamma. After adjusting that, they look fantastic. Little weak in the reds, but that's the tradeoff. 

You can catch the 27 inch version on sale at best buy for $500 flat quite often. If you do want the 27 inch version, I recommend waiting on that sale. If you can't find it for $500, I'd go with the 24 inch version. I can't imagine trying to justify $200 for 3 inches and 21hz slower refresh rate. 

EDIT: Microcenter also has it for $500. http://www.microcenter.com/product/458837/s2716dg_27_led_g-sync_gaming_monitor 

Use their Online Store if you live in the US. 

5 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Both are extremely high quality TN panels. By far the best I have seen. I've used the 24 inch personally, and have seen the 27 inch in person at Microcenter. I will say, the 24 inch version looks better to me, since it is smaller (sharper text, and smaller screen means less drastic viewing angles). Both units suffer from poor out of the box gamma. After adjusting that, they look fantastic. Little weak in the reds, but that's the tradeoff. 

You can catch the 27 inch version on sale at best buy for $500 flat quite often. If you do want the 27 inch version, I recommend waiting on that sale. If you can't find it for $500, I'd go with the 24 inch version. I can't imagine trying to justify $200 for 3 inches and 21hz slower refresh rate. 

EDIT: Microcenter also has it for $500. http://www.microcenter.com/product/458837/s2716dg_27_led_g-sync_gaming_monitor 

Use their Online Store if you live in the US. 

That looks like the best deal by far right now. Their store is 30 min from me so might take a drive and pick it up. Thanks so much

Just now, BillyDoz said:

That looks like the best deal by far right now. Their store is 30 min from me so might take a drive and pick it up. Thanks so much

No problem. Remember to tweak the gamma settings. I hope you enjoy that monitor, it's seriously one of the better TN panels I've ever seen. Double check to make sure your local MC has it on display, so you can look at the panel yourself to decide if you like it or not. Either way, MC has a great "no questions asked" return policy, so feel free to take it home and abuse it for a few days. 

If you got a Costco close by, and know someone with a membership card go pick up the Acer XB271HU for $500. Make sure they got some in stock though. It is IPS so if you decide you want 27 inch definitely give this a shot. If you get a problem with it you can return it within 90 days which is nice.

I7 6800k   |  Asus X99-A USB 3.1  |  CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB DDR4 2400mhz   |  Corsair H100i V2 |   EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition  |  NZXT S340 White  |  EVGA 750w NEXB1 

Storage: Samsung 850 evo 250gb SSD, Kingston 120gb v300 SSD, Western Digital 1TB green drive.

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU