Is the new Xbox One S worth it?

Zetaprime01
1 minute ago, dizmo said:

This forum is filled with PCMR zealots. So you'll get a ton of "just build a PC" as we've seen from @R3DOPS. :P

Scorpio is supposed to be a much, much more advanced console. I think there was also some rumors about it being up-gradable. There should be more information about it in the following months, I believe they were planning to release it prior to E3.

lol I didn't expect for a second to say that and not have someone who is a fan of LTT to not say "build a PC" ???

Add Me On Xbox -------------->   Zetaprime01

8 minutes ago, Zetaprime01 said:

lol I didn't expect for a second to say that and not have someone who is a fan of LTT to not say "build a PC" ???

Haha, yeah. Consoles definitely have their uses though, as much as a fair number of people on here will argue otherwise.

For the relatively low cost of a console I've gotten easily hundreds of hours of fun out of it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

@R3DOPS

Scorpio is supposed to be a much, much more advanced console. I think there was also some rumors about it being up-gradable. There should be more information about it in the following months, I believe they were planning to release it prior to E3.

That's very good to know! I'm excited to hear more information about it. Hopefully it will be useful in the future.  Assuming that's what I different post on this forum was referring to when they said that they were talking about how consoles are pretty much transforming into computers.

11 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Haha, yeah. Consoles definitely have their uses though, as much as a fair number of people on here will argue otherwise.

For the relatively low cost of a console I've gotten easily hundreds of hours of fun out of it.

Very true! It is a very cheap alternative to PC builds 

2 minutes ago, Zetaprime01 said:

That's very good to know! I'm excited to hear more information about it. Hopefully it will be useful in the future.  Assuming that's what I different post on this forum was referring to when they said that they were talking about how consoles are pretty much transforming into computers.

Yeah, even if consoles became verrrrry close to computers, I'd still have one. I just like the experience for on-the-couch use better. If someone actually made a decent OS that used only a controller, then maybe I'd build a living room PC.

1 minute ago, Zetaprime01 said:

Very true! It is a very cheap alternative to PC builds 

Very, very cheap compared to PC builds. I know everyone always says you can build a comparable computer for the same price, but you really can't. Especially if you buy everything like Windows from legitimate sources.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

Yeah, even if consoles became verrrrry close to computers, I'd still have one. I just like the experience for on-the-couch use better. If someone actually made a decent OS that used only a controller, then maybe I'd build a living room PC.

Plus the new ones have a feature I can't really use on my PC: put the console to sleep and resume right where I left off. Sure I could do that on my PC... but then I'm not using my PC anymore.

Another point is a console is a dedicated gaming device. I'm pretty sure even with other people and their gaming PC's, they don't only game on it. So you have a machine that does almost everything, but one loose thread or broken chain ruins everything.

Very, very cheap compared to PC builds. I know everyone always says you can build a comparable computer for the same price, but you really can't. Especially if you buy everything like Windows from legitimate sources.

A lot of people in the PCMR camp also like to argue things like "you gotta pay for multiplayer" (not all the time, year sub cards go on sale, they have other perks, and they're assuming everyone cares about multiplayer), "PC games have sales all the time" (Uh, so do console games?), or "I can get this game for cheap on Kinguin/G2A" (which is shady at best, supporting a crime ring at worst).

Aside from that, any time you want to include something outside of the official retail market for that publisher, then the door opens to any possibility I want, rendering the pricing argument moot.

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Plus the new ones have a feature I can't really use on my PC: put the console to sleep and resume right where I left off. Sure I could do that on my PC... but then I'm not using my PC anymore.

Another point is a console is a dedicated gaming device. I'm pretty sure even with other people and their gaming PC's, they don't only game on it. So you have a machine that does almost everything, but one loose thread or broken chain ruins everything.

-snip-

I'm not too sure what you mean by the second statement, most things that I do on my PC (which was used mostly for gaming, browsing and spreadsheets) it excelled at.

Haha, I love that argument. If $0.12 a day is a burden for you, you shouldn't be spending money on video games. :P

Yeah, they don't consider the fact that I can sell my Xbox game when I'm done with it...which makes it a lot of the time cheaper than a game on Steam.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'm not too sure what you mean by the second statement, most things that I do on my PC (which was used mostly for gaming, browsing and spreadsheets) it excelled at.

A dedicated machine is a simple machine. It makes it easier to update and maintain.

A general purpose machine is a complex machine. I don't think I have to tell you how many people hate Windows Updates.