Community created Floatplane

OscarWoHA

Hi! I was just looking over the LMG-website and stumbled upon the Floatplane-initiative. I thought it was cool, but wanted to help realizing the ideas that Linus had in the video made for the concept. As a web-developer and self-taught Linux system-administrator I thought it would be cool to do the entire project as a community-collaboration. 

I therefore want all of your opinions! Bring them on and thy shall be heard.

as far as i know, floatplane is already half and half a community effort, where essentially the (very small) team that deals with floatplane are some OG community members with the appropriate backgrounds necessary.

that said, i guess extra hands could always be welcome, but i also guess that they have to be careful about who they let into the backend of the party, to avoid people with bad intents getting access to things.

Just now, manikyath said:

as far as i know, floatplane is already half and half a community effort, where essentially the (very small) team that deals with floatplane are some OG community members with the appropriate backgrounds necessary.

that said, i guess extra hands could always be welcome, but i also guess that they have to be careful about who they let into the backend of the party, to avoid people with bad intents getting access to things.

Well obviously. My thought was to develop something separated from the other things, or with the right people having full insight into what code was actually pushed to the live website. 

On 4.4.2017 at 1:54 AM, colonel_mortis said:

We have no immediate plans to open source the code, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will never happen.

Already did some digging, came to a conclusion on my own. Please close this thread now.

If they would ever do this they would need to have some sort of test to check the code quality.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

On 4/5/2017 at 10:22 AM, LUUD18 said:

If they would ever do this they would need to have some sort of test to check the code quality.

Do you need to have a open source project to do some unit testing? ^^

• 2 weeks later...

Generally groups have a development cycle that involves different versions of code being made available based on user access. So when a development release is pushed out it only effects a limited group of people who then in turn test and report. This can be done completely without open sourcing the code base. As the skill set of the engineers allows for them to solve problems but it's generally time that doesn't always permit testing for them. There should be no need to open source the platform code for a development cycle :-).

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code."