Nouveau has support for the GTX 10XX series.

Sniperfox47

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-DDX-Pascal-Support

The last part is finally in place for nouveau, the free open source Nvidia community driver, to support the Pascal based GPUs.

Accelerated Pascal support is coming with the Linux 4.12 kernel when paired with NVIDIA's new signed firmware image files for these latest-generation graphics cards.

This after the firmware binaries required by Nvidia were finally released at the start of this month(http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-Signed-Firmware-Pascal), only 10 months after the original launch of the 1080. I guess we should just be happy it didn't take them the year and a half it did for Maxwell cards...

That means sometime in the next few months any Linux users will *finally* have an open source option available for their graphics drivers on Pascal.

I hope this trend continues and it takes nvidia a full 6 months to publicly release the microcode blobs for Volta next time /sarcasm

Are these drivers for playing games or crunching numbers because i'm fairly certain a lot of workstation servers use linux

LG 34" 21:9 1440p

1080ti EVGA FTW3

i7 8700k @ 5GHz 1.3V Delidded

mesa > nouveau

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, Poofu said:

Are these drivers for playing games or crunching numbers because i'm fairly certain a lot of workstation servers use linux

They're not really for either. The Nvidia proprietary drivers blow nouveau out of the water since nouveau doesn't have support for automatically changing your clock speed, so won't hit any turbos. To be fair though, that's not the nouveau team's fault. Every feature they implement has to be painstakingly cleanroom reverse engineered because Nvidia are jackasses and don't play nice with the FOSS community.

The main use for these drivers are:

1) for inclusion in Linux distros that don't ship with proprietary drivers like Fedora so they can use the hardware

2) for users who are concerned with the nvidia proprietary driver because some people feel it infringes on the Linux kernel distribution lisence.

3) for applications where the proprietary driver might not be suitable. Like Google's Pixel C used a combination of the Tegra driver and nouveau.

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

mesa > nouveau

...Nouveau is the Mesa driver for Nvidia... So I guess what you said is correct since nouveau is a part of Mesa?

3 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

They're not really for either. The Nvidia proprietary drivers blow nouveau out of the water since nouveau doesn't have support for automatically changing your clock speed, so won't hit any turbos. To be fair though, that's not the nouveau team's fault. Every feature they implement has to be painstakingly cleanroom reverse engineered because Nvidia are jackasses and don't play nice with the FOSS community.

The main use for these drivers are:

1) for inclusion in Linux distros that don't ship with proprietary drivers like Fedora so they can use the hardware

2) for users who are concerned with the nvidia proprietary driver because some people feel it infringes on the Linux kernel distribution lisence.

3) for applications where the proprietary driver might not be suitable. Like Google's Pixel C used a combination of the Tegra driver and nouveau.

...Nouveau is the Mesa driver for Nvidia... So I guess what you said is correct since nouveau is a part of Mesa?

while mesa brings less issues and weird bugs and kernel panics like nouveau does

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

while mesa brings less issues and weird bugs and kernel panics like nouveau does

Okay that makes 0 sense. If you're on nvidia hardware and you're using a video driver that uses mesa, you're using nouveau.

The only other open source driver for Nvidia cards is nv, which doesn't work on Fermi or later, is 2D only, and isn't at all related to mesa...

7 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

Only because AMD actually helps the Mesa development community and Nvidia doesn't.