Connecting multiple PCs

chris0320

Hi everybody,

First post here, sorry if something the topic is in the wrong forum.

I work in a 3d visualization studio, we use xeon processors, but the single threaded performance isnt quite good on those. So I want to build a PC with only the single threaded performance in mind, because many of the software we use, use only one core or one thread, but I want that PC to be accessible across the office by anyone whitin seconds (that means 4-6 people, depending what we are working on).

I was reading about KVMs and that you can connect multiple PCs to a single or multiple monitors and switch between the PCs with set keyboard keys in seconds, but could not find a solution so far to the problem where you need to connect all the PCs and all the monitors to one PC and switch between your pc and the shared pc with a hotkey or a button (if there is hardware involved). reversed KVM... maybe?

What are your thoughts on that, where would you start looking for a solution?

Thanks!

PS: Im not an IT guy

actually the reversed KVM just popped into my head while writing, looked it up, and it looks like it would work.

2 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

why not just use any remote login software such as vnc (free) or teamviewer (free for personal use)?

That would avoid the risk of multiple users trying to control the same PC (at least in TeamViewer you would see more than one session in the session list).

Other than that, you can even use Windows' own Remote Desktop to control the relevant PC.

There is slightly more lag than with KVM, but the advantage is that the second PC becomes just another window in your PC. In dual monitor setups, you can even permanently have one PC per screen.

7 hours ago, Schakal_No1 said:

why not just use any remote login software such as vnc (free) or teamviewer (free for personal use)?

Because those pretty slow in practice and you'll can run into many limitations including not having sound, not being able to transfer files to and from host drives, etc.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, chris0320 said:

I work in a 3d visualization studio, we use xeon processors, but the single threaded performance isnt quite good on those. So I want to build a PC with only the single threaded performance in mind, because many of the software we use, use only one core or one thread, but I want that PC to be accessible across the office by anyone whitin seconds (that means 4-6 people, depending what we are working on).

Regardless of how you do it, there is another consideration: Running multiple instances of any modelling or rendering software that's worth it's weight is going to take a decent computer. Imagine trying to run 4 instances of your heaviest workload on your personal computer at once, can it handle it without becoming bogged down?

What software are you using if you don't mind me asking?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

27 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Because those pretty slow in practice and you'll can run into many limitations including not having sound, not being able to transfer files to and from host drives, etc.

I don't have any of those issues in TeamViewer. Especially not in a LAN setting, where I may even forget which PC is the "local" and which one is the remote until some animation is a little clunkier than usual. Sound is also there no problem.

Also, I don't see how transferring files over KVM is supposed to work... 9_9

34 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

kvm is also working via network, so it has the same limitations. Only boon I seen is to be able to do it while windows is not running (which is I think the only reason it is still used). I have worked with kvm and teamviewer and most KVM solutions are worse when it comes to picture clarity and speed on a limited connection than temviewer.