Small business network topology

Go to solution Solved by Montyzone,

Thank you very much guys for your valuable info, please accept my apologies for not answering sooner.

due to budget, we were not able to utilise a second router, the client was happy enough with one. we also ended up with a single switch since the place they are at is temporary and a new IT system will be developed for the new location.

the 8 port switches are used to hardwire PCs and phones. rather than having dedicated cabling to every single terminal, which is a good idea in regards to labour costs.

Thank you very much again and regards

Monty

Hi all

I have been working as an IT person for a small business organization as freelancer for 3 years, they already have a networking person, but we lost contact with him, so we want to do our own thing from now on.

please find attached screenshots of the current design - and my suggested design. am not sure if this forum is also used for business grade stuff? but would be supr helpful to see if my design is missing anything? the main keywords here is: redundancy and low price tag.

Thanks

Monty

topology.png

How much redundancy do you want?

If you can spare the ports then you could always add another pair of links between the bottom switches and their northbound counterparts in an X pattern plus parallel links, additionally you'll want to have a second link from the switch with the servers attached to the other firewall as well.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I'm guessing you have a reason for using those 8-port switches? Physical location?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

its not bad but i would connect your servers to both of the routers (using vlan) otherwise if that ONE router on the left goes down your whole network will fall over as no DHCP or DNS available. servers should always have redundant links.

at the moment your servers have single point of failure thereby negating the redundancy built into the basic network.

• 8 months later...

Thank you very much guys for your valuable info, please accept my apologies for not answering sooner.

due to budget, we were not able to utilise a second router, the client was happy enough with one. we also ended up with a single switch since the place they are at is temporary and a new IT system will be developed for the new location.

the 8 port switches are used to hardwire PCs and phones. rather than having dedicated cabling to every single terminal, which is a good idea in regards to labour costs.

Thank you very much again and regards

Monty