SLI bottlenecked by lanes?

sb4ssman

I recently upgrade from a 980ti, to a pair of gtx 1080s in SLI on an Asus z170 pro gaming with a 6700k. Everything is running great except Fallout 4 and I've been trouble shooting for days including uninstalling and reinstalling the game and wiping every setting from ini. For reference I've been getting weird artifacts in the game and it eventually crashes, but otherwise it looks like both cards are getting utilized and functioning great, except for the artifacts. 

No other game has any issues (Skyrim SE, Doom, H1Z1, and more).  In researching PCIe lanes, my 6700k has 16, and that is currently split between the 1080s at 8x each. I also have a samsung 950 pro on the M.2 slot. I have a wireless AC card on a 1x PCIe lane also... could that one lane be enough to prevent the 1080s from doing their thing?

I can test this out a little later when I get home but does anyone have any clever ideas about this or any work arounds? Many thanks.

3 minutes ago, sb4ssman said:

I recently upgrade from a 980ti, to a pair of gtx 1080s in SLI on an Asus z170 pro gaming with a 6700k. Everything is running great except Fallout 4 and I've been trouble shooting for days including uninstalling and reinstalling the game and wiping every setting from ini. For reference I've been getting weird artifacts in the game and it eventually crashes, but otherwise it looks like both cards are getting utilized and functioning great, except for the artifacts. 

No other game has any issues (Skyrim SE, Doom, H1Z1, and more).  In researching PCIe lanes, my 6700k has 16, and that is currently split between the 1080s at 8x each. I also have a samsung 950 pro on the M.2 slot. I have a wireless AC card on a 1x PCIe lane also... could that one lane be enough to prevent the 1080s from doing their thing?

I can test this out a little later when I get home but does anyone have any clever ideas about this or any work arounds? Many thanks.

As far as I know Fallout 4 has shitty SLI scaling, when I tried running it on my dual 960's it ran as well as a single 960 + 10%. Not a huge improvement.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Some games simple arent happy with SLI. Some games see no performance boost at all and infact things like stuttering get introduced. Did you research if Fallout was one of those games.

SLI isnt magic, even for the games that *do* support it, there's a notable portion of them that are absolutely terrible.

artifacting could mean defect

doesn't mean it's OK if you "don't see" them artifacts in other games

12 minutes ago, sb4ssman said:

Just disable SLI for the games that do terribly with it.

12 minutes ago, sb4ssman said:

Not a chance. The 950 PRO and 802.11AC gets pushed to the DMI lanes.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

23 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Not a chance. The 950 PRO and 802.11AC gets pushed to the DMI lanes.

I was going to say that it isnt entirely true if the 802.11AC is in a pcie slot. It would depend on the motherboard and how its layed out. Some of them push the pcie x1 through the DMI and use an actual pcie lane. 

However since nvidia doesnt allow less than 8x for each card other wise they just wont work it isnt the case in this particular case.