Need Help With a Crucial M550 SSD Warranty

colmanhymx
Go to solution Solved by Mr.Meerkat,
3 minutes ago, igan3w_ said:

I am really confused by the 75TBW part

What it means is if there is less than 75TB of data written then Crucial would still honour the warranty (assuming it's also within the 3 year warranty limit) but if it has more than 75TB written then they can reject it. 

On the Crucial Web page it says the drive is entitled to 3 years of limited warranty or 75TBW. I am really confused by the 75TBW part. I have a 128GB M550 SSD and I'd like to know that do I lost my warranty after passing the 75TBW mark or will I get a replacement if i took a working M550 which has passed the 75TBW mark but is still working to crucial. Mine currently has round 56-57 TBs of data written to it as shown by CrystalDiskInfo. I've stopped writing data to the drive incase the case is that i will lose my warranty after writing 75+ TB of data. Thanks for helping out!

**The M550 ssd is not my OS drive**

I am really confused by the 75TBW part

What it means is if there is less than 75TB of data written then Crucial would still honour the warranty (assuming it's also within the 3 year warranty limit) but if it has more than 75TB written then they can reject it. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Okay, thanks for answering, but if my drive dies after writing more than 75TB of data within the warranty period, will they like give me a replacement drive? Will they be able to check the TBW after the drive dies? I bought the drive on 14/2/2015 hence I think I'd still have around 10-11 months of time left.

So should I keep on writing data to this drive? Since this drive is used in my file server which moves data which is not used at the moment from sd cards or external drive to the ssd, then moves it to a mechanical hard drive for archival uses. The ssd is there so that i would not have to wait so long for the data to be transferred since i shoot a lot of 4k videos for my school. Hence explains the much more data written then in a normal use.

2 minutes ago, igan3w_ said:

Okay, thanks for answering, but if my drive dies after writing more than 75TB of data within the warranty period, will they like give me a replacement drive?

I'd suspect no as they clearly say your SSD is only in warranty if there is less than 75TB of data written.

Will they be able to check the TBW after the drive dies?

Not sure. 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I'd suspect no as they clearly say your SSD is only in warranty if there is less than 75TB of data written.

Not sure. 

Then would you think it's a good idea to email the dealer and just straight up ask him will they give me a replacement? Since in my region the RMA is done by the dealer, not by contacting Crucial myself.

Just now, igan3w_ said:

Then would you think it's a good idea to email the dealer and just straight up ask him will they give me a replacement? Since in my region the RMA is done by the dealer, not by contacting Crucial myself.

In that case, it kinda depends as they may not check as thoroughly as Crucial does and if you ask them, they may start checking more thoroughly... 

23 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

In that case, it kinda depends as they may not check as thoroughly as Crucial does and if you ask them, they may start checking more thoroughly... 

Checked with the dealer. They say that their solution would be sending the drive back to Crucial for further checking and a possible replacement unit.

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I've checked in CrystalDiskInfo and it reported the drive's remaining health to be 80%. Would you recommend me keep on using this drive?

15 minutes ago, igan3w_ said:

I've checked in CrystalDiskInfo and it reported the drive's remaining health to be 80%. Would you recommend me keep on using this drive?

Unsure :/ 

6 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Unsure :/ 

Well, guess i'll have to find a replacement drive. I'd think I will be archiving this drive then. Definitely do not want to put my data in risk.