Is there a way to write a .img to a hard drive

I need to write a .img file to a hard drive (external usb 2.0) in ext4 format. Is there anyway I can do this in windows or linux? 

4 minutes ago, Steeve said:

I need to write a .img file to a hard drive (external usb 2.0) in ext4 format. Is there anyway I can do this in windows or linux? 

*edit* I think you can with the disk burner built into windows

You might need to convert it into an ISO file and burn it through linux

5 hours ago, Jaidenortiz7 said:

*edit* I think you can with the disk burner built into windows

Can't, I tried Rufus as well.

Just now, Steeve said:

Can't, I tried Rufus as well.

Have you tried etcher?

Get it here https://etcher.io/ for Linux and Windows but to actually see your external hd you might need to go into the etcher settings and turn on unsafe mode to view all drives instead of sd cards and flash drives.

Be careful though you could wipe your local drive so make sure you know what drive letter or drive you are choosing.

5 hours ago, Jaidenortiz7 said:

Be careful though you could wipe your local drive so make sure you know what drive letter or drive you are choosing.

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

dd in linux?

you don't write a image  in ext4, you use the file system of the image,

Dang, well I might just resort to using dd with my mac.

7 hours ago, Nicholatian said:

dd on macOS and dd on GNU/Linux are the same program.

I just didn't want to deal with Linux's weird drive/partition names, I'm not really that familiar with it.

Just now, Steeve said:

I just didn't want to deal with Linux's weird drive/partition names, I'm not really that familiar with it.

and I run dual boot and I don't want to risk fucking up my normal partitions.

44 minutes ago, Steeve said:

The drive you boot from going to be sda. If you don't have any other drives, your external drive will be sdb. The naming format is kind of similar to Windows in that all drives after C:\ are one letter higher (C:\, D:\, E:\ vs sda, sdb, sdc). The partitions on each drive are identified by the number after the drive name.

On my laptop which dual boots Win10 and Linux, I have 6 partitions on the drive I boot from. sda1 is the EFI system partition which is my boot partition, sda2-4 are for Windows, sda5 is my Linux partition and sda6 is my linux-swap partition which can be used as slower memory if my computer starts to run out of RAM. You can see this info for your system by using a tool like GParted (a partition manager for Linux).

Also, I too recommend Etcher. It's a very simple tool and it won't let you write the image to your system drives unless you enable dangerous mode.