SSD 1 sudenly full of I dont know what? virus?

jdjinn

Hi,

I have windows installed on a SSD. Until last week it had almost 110GB free (of 210). Then I had this situation

I plugged 2smartphones to recharge and to copy some documents. there was some error and now my PC neither detects the old I had connected hundreds of times nor the newer one. I read, that error wont go unless u 1) edit some (no idea what files), 2) reinstall everything or 3) do some recovery system to go to last working config. I tried the 3rd step which seemed very easy. It was almost done when I got an error. windows restarted and said nothing had changed. Then, some days later I plugged an  old usb-memory to copy those files just to remember it probably was infected. I first had an error but then could copy all files needed in it.

Now as I wanted to copy some more files, I see with horror that the SSD has only 10GB space free (I havent installed anything this last days).

virus? recovery system error? both? some 3d thing?

What should I do?

P.S: I selected all folders on the SSD and they sum 48 gb. how to know what the other 150+ GB are?

There are hidden folders (such as ProgramData) that often contain a lot of runaway stuff.

Can you run a directory statistics scan on your system drive with something like windirstat (https://windirstat.net/

This will allow you to generate a map of what is taking up space on your system.

Example:

170324_windirstat.thumb.jpg.37723e9260c8da5e02d3c0af1584ff42.jpg

The smartphones you plugged in, do you have iTunes or any other phone back-up software running? It may have pulled back ups from your phone, I've seen this clog up many drives with dated back-ups. But the answer above should help find that.

5950X @ 5.1ghz Perf Cores - 32GB 3966Mhz MHZ CL18 - WD SN850 Black 1TB x 2 - Gigabyte Eagle 3080 Ti (Bad Overclocker) - Corsair HX1000i

Lenovo Legion 7i 16ITHg6 - Intel i7 11800h 4.9Ghz Perf Cores - GTX 3070 8GB 2100Mhz - 32GB 3200Mhz CL18 - 1TB 980 Pro PCI-e 4.0 SSD - 2tb 970 EVO PCI-e 3.0 SSD

Well I downloaded and ran that app. This is a screenshot of the results. (I activated in options: show unknown)

I found that killer instinct and hallo forge are there. how do I install them on a second disk I have? any way. those 2 games were already installed long before this problem.

@toastfacegrillah nope, I dont have iTunes. Dunno if the smartphones are running some back up software, but one was just reset to factory config, the other (the old) just have some documents and some audios. 

full ssd.png