Mid-Budget Workstation/Gaming Build

After many years of waiting, I have finally decided to upgrade my software development/gaming setup. It's been many years since I last built a computer, so It'll be great if I can get some feedback on this build.

Budget & Location

Excluding monitors, peripherals, and storage, I'm looking to spend less than $1200 USD on this build (tax included - California). While this is not a hard cap, there'll need to be some very good reasons to increase the budget.

Aim

The system will be a hybrid programming/gaming machine.  I will be running Linux as the host OS, with Windows gaming done through GPU Passthrough to a VM.  I make heavy use of virtual machines, so memory capacity is quite important. I will be using BTRFS as my primary filesystem (without ECC memory).

On the programming end, my use cases focus around large memory capacity - I have need for both high single-core performance and large thread count (though not simultaneously). For gaming, I'm interested in a system that can play new games at high graphics at 1080p 60fps for at least the next 4-5 years. The games I play tend to be CPU-heavy. VR capability would be a nice plus. I don't plan on significant upgrades for 4-6 years.

Monitors

I'll be using two 1080p 60Hz monitors with this build, with a potential upgrade to 2K a few years down the line - nothing crazy.

Plan

Current Parts List: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/RandomBK/saved/PdbGXL

Notes on some of the decisions:

CPU: i7-7700K

Already purchased at $333.24 incl. tax.

I plan to OC this hopefully to 4.8Ghz on air. Probably a bit lower during hot Californian summers.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Low-priced overclockable motherboard with onboard gigabit memory and USB3 headers. Cheap, simple, and fits my needs.

Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Only using two of the 4 slots on the board for the moment - this is probably the only part I will be upgrading in the future, so I want to leave some room for expansion.

GPUEVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card

I'm not entirely sure which 1070 to get, but any low-priced, reliable, 8GB 1070 works for me. I will probably also try to overclock this.

Does anyone have experience with the manufacturer refurbished cards on NewEgg? They're slightly cheaper, but are there any issues with them?

PowerCorsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Given my plans to overclock, is this enough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

That PSU is shit, get a Corsair CXM or Seasonic S12ii instead

Better yet save up for a GQ or G2 from EVGA

If you plan to OC get a Cryorig H7 instead, or a H5 much better than a 212 Evo

The motherboard will need a bios update before it works with that CPU, MSI should be able to send you a new flashed chip for free, but just be aware 

5 minutes ago, RandomBK said:

After many years of waiting, I have finally decided to upgrade my software development/gaming setup. It's been many years since I last built a computer, so It'll be great if I can get some feedback on this build.

Budget & Location

Excluding monitors, peripherals, and storage, I'm looking to spend less than $1200 USD on this build (tax included - California). While this is not a hard cap, there'll need to be some very good reasons to increase the budget.

Aim

The system will be a hybrid programming/gaming machine.  I will be running Linux as the host OS, with Windows gaming done through GPU Passthrough to a VM.  I make heavy use of virtual machines, so memory capacity is quite important. I will be using BTRFS as my primary filesystem (without ECC memory).

On the programming end, my use cases focus around large memory capacity - I have need for both high single-core performance and large thread count (though not simultaneously). For gaming, I'm interested in a system that can play new games at high graphics at 1080p 60fps for at least the next 4-5 years. The games I play tend to be CPU-heavy. VR capability would be a nice plus. I don't plan on significant upgrades for 4-6 years.

Monitors

I'll be using two 1080p 60Hz monitors with this build, with a potential upgrade to 2K a few years down the line - nothing crazy.

Plan

Current Parts List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xnTdzM

Notes on some of the decisions:

CPU: i7-7700K

Already purchased at $333.24 incl. tax.

I plan to OC this hopefully to 4.8Ghz on air. Probably a bit lower during hot Californian summers.

Motherboard: MSI Z170M Mortar Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Low-priced overclockable motherboard with onboard gigabit memory and USB3 headers. Cheap, simple, and fits my needs.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Only using two of the 4 slots on the board for the moment - this is probably the only part I will be upgrading in the future, so I want to leave some room for expansion.

GPUGigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card

I'm not entirely sure which 1070 to get, but any low-priced, reliable, 8GB 1070 works for me. I will probably also try to overclock this.

Does anyone have experience with the manufacturer refurbished cards on NewEgg? They're slightly cheaper, but are there any issues with them?

PowerEVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Given my plans to overclock, is this enough?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Change the PSU to EVGA G2/G3 etc. I would also get some faster ram.

Also be aware that if that board isnt flashed, you're gonna have problems running that 7700k on it 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

7 minutes ago, RandomBK said:

Are these any good?  I couldn't find any reviews on PCpartpicker

G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Should be but you might want to overclock it to a decent speed 

also it's a shame you have already bought the processor as a ryzen would have been much better especially with virtual machines 

21 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

Slightly off topic, but please use white text, as dark text makes its unreadable for night theme users such as myself

And white text will make it unreadable for day theme users, you absolute bampot. People should use 'automatic' so that it's black for day theme and white for dark theme.

Verify your claims so you don't give out terrible advice again.

i5 12600KF | Zotac RTX 4080 Gaming trinity | Team Vulcan 2x16GB DDR4 3600 | ASRock Z690M-ITX/ac | WD Black SN850x 2TB

Cooler Master NR200P v2 | ID Cooling Zoomflow 280 XT | SeaSonic Focus SGX-750 | Thermalright 2x140mm + 2x120mm aRGB

LG C2 OLED 48" 120hz | Epomaker TH80 (Gateron Yellow) | Logitech MX Master 3 | Koss Porta Pro Comm

16 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

Also be aware that if that board isnt flashed, you're gonna have problems running that 7700k on it 

Do you know if the BIOS can be flashed without a running CPU (will I need another CPU to flash the BIOS, or can I do it from a USB)?

3 minutes ago, Add2017 said:

He means you need a more powereful psi not that the one you had selected was particularly poor quality

I see. How much more would I need?  PCPartPicker lists the current power usage at 334W, and I won't be OC'ing this by that much.

2 minutes ago, Add2017 said:

it's a shame you have already bought the processor as a ryzen would have been much better especially with virtual machines 

I'm interested in stability more than anything else. From what I gathered, IOMMU (GPU Passthrough) on Ryzen didn't seem quite ready.

O

3 minutes ago, RandomBK said:

Do you know if the BIOS can be flashed without a running CPU (will I need another CPU to flash the BIOS, or can I do it from a USB)?

I see. How much more would I need?  PCPartPicker lists the current power usage at 334W, and I won't be OC'ing this by that much.

I'm interested in stability more than anything else. From what I gathered, IOMMU (GPU Passthrough) on Ryzen didn't seem quite ready.

You should always use the outer vision psi calculator for oc it takes a considerable amount of extra power to oc and always leave a 10 - 20 percent margin for safety

9 minutes ago, RandomBK said:

I'm not sure i've never had to do it, but I wouldnt risk it, I would just pay a little more and get a Z270 board, the MSI Z270 tomahawk is a great board and is like $133

but it is full ATX so would need a different case also 

I would put a little more $$$ into it and go with something like:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $333.24) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($133.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($209.97 @ Jet) 
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($379.99 @ Jet) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1237.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-23 19:54 EDT-0400

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

24 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I'm not sure i've never had to do it, but I wouldnt risk it, I would just pay a little more and get a Z270 board, the MSI Z270 tomahawk is a great board and is like $133

but it is full ATX so would need a different case also 

I would put a little more $$$ into it and go with something like:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z270 TOMAHAWK ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($133.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($209.97 @ Jet) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($379.99 @ Jet) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($88.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1237.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-23 19:54 EDT-0400

How about something like this?  I'd like to keep the build close to $1200 post-tax if possible.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.28 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($125.67 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($213.97 @ Jet) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($417.03 @ Jet) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($46.08 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.82 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1214.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-23 20:19 EDT-0400

12 minutes ago, RandomBK said:

How about something like this?  I'd like to keep the build close to $1200 post-tax if possible.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.28 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($125.67 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($213.97 @ Jet) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Mini ITX OC Video Card  ($406.05 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($46.08 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.82 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1203.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-23 20:06 EDT-0400

That should work, I wouldn't get the mini 1070 though, I would get a full size card

Ryzen Ram Guide

7 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

I wouldn't get the mini 1070 though, I would get a full size card

Changed.  Thanks for your help!

no problem 

Ryzen Ram Guide