Laptop processor upgrade

I have an old laptop (HP probook 4530s) and want to upgrade it with a new processor and SSD. A new laptop doesnt seem worth it for university, office, watching streams....

current cpu: i3 2330m

upgrade to i7 2670qm (~65 € used; best possible according to manual)

Seems worth it? The only problem is that I have to remove quite a lot of parts to replace the cpu. The manual explains the steps how to do it.  Does anyone have experience with that? Is it as easy as building a pc?

I plan to replace the cpu first and see if it works because replaying the HDD is easy.

3 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I have an old laptop (HP probook 4530s) and want to upgrade it with a new processor and SSD. A new laptop doesnt seem worth it for university, office, watching streams....

current cpu: i3 2330m

upgrade to i7 2670qm (~65 € used; best possible according to manual)

Seems worth it? The only problem is that I have to remove quite a lot of parts to replace the cpu. The manual explains the steps how to do it.  Does anyone have experience with that? Is it as easy as building a pc?

I plan to replace the cpu first and see if it works because replaying the HDD is easy.

laptops are hard due to their size  so if you feel confident then go for it

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

Yeah, it's a good idea, 

But you can save the money spend on processor and HDD, sell the old one, and buy a tablet+pc, like surfacebook.

-- BSOD : ( --

It's perfectly doable, but make sure you have the correct tools, the last thing you want to do is to strip a screw.

Also make sure to take your time and label all of the different screws.

I have fully disassembled my Core i7 2670QM HP DV6 3 times without problems ;)

[GUIDE] LGA 771 Mod for Dell Vostro 220 [GUIDE] LGA 775 BSEL Mod [BUILD] The Mighty Radeon-Powered Dell [VIDEO] Evolution of Intel CPUs

Can you game on an 8-year-old i7? Is the 4-year-old GTX 660 still relevant? Upgrading the HP Pro 3500

Main Rig:

Spoiler

CPU Intel Core i7 4930k @ 4.3GHz | Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Deluxe | RAM Hynix 32GB (8x4GB) 2133MHz CL11 | GPU Gigabyte GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | Case NZXT Phantom 410 | Storage Samsung 850EVO 500GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU Cooler Master G650M (650W) | Monitors x1 Dell U2515H, x2 Dell 1907FP | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 w. x2 NF-F12 iPPC-2000 PWM | Keyboard Logitech G610 ORION BROWN | Mouse Logitech Performance MX | OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

One thing to check before starting is if the pre-built i7 models have a different fan/heatsink inside. I've seen some submodels that have extra heatpipes or a fan with more fins than the same lower end config.

When I upgraded my Asus G50, I had to switch out the fan for a different one to keep thermals down. That was for a GPU swap though.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |

The ProBook line is harder to service, but it's generally quite easy. 

According to a lot of stuff I've seen online it's just removing the metal plate that covers fan + hs and the CPU heatsink that exposes the socket, should take around 30min. 

With EliteBooks it's just removing CPU heatsink, it's exposed once bottom cover is taken off

It's definitely worth it, the Sandy Bridge quads do run quite warm and you won't turbo that high due to a 43W limit imposed on all laptops of that age by HP, but it may be different. 

I suggest pasting with a Gelid paste or Liquid Metal if you have time to fuck around with it

idk

its not hard at all, if you took things apart as a kid, you can change a CPU in a laptop, just make sure it has the same TDP, same PGA, and away you go.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

1 minute ago, antonio123 said:

get a apple mac book pro 

loool, all you can possibly do with the inside of a MBP is look at how pretty it is

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

5 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

loool, all you can possibly do with the inside of a MBP is look at how pretty it is

i am sure he was just trolling 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i am sure he was just trolling 

as am i

Home PC:

Work PC:

@oskarha, @Gikero, @Droidbot

Thanks for the replies.

My current cpu has a TDP of 35w and it can get noisy at times but I often use my headphones so it is ok.

The i7 2670qm has a TDP of 45w

I could also buy an i5 2540m with 35w TDP for 50% the cost of the i7

I also looked it up and it seems my Laptop model doesnt have better for better cpus

Damn, I hate not upgrading to the best solution but it would be a smart move right? I mean the i5 boost 200 mhz higher and the i7 has only hyperthreading which I assume is not used for watching videos and office stuff. 

EDIT, Conclusion: Ok i made some research and i think i will go with the i5. Hyper threading makes little sense with my laptop.

31 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

@oskarha, @Gikero, @Droidbot

Thanks for the replies.

My current cpu has a TDP of 35w and it can get noisy at times but I often use my headphones so it is ok.

The i7 2670qm has a TDP of 45w

I could also buy an i5 2540m with 35w TDP for 50% the cost of the i7

I also looked it up and it seems my Laptop model doesnt have better for better cpus

Damn, I hate not upgrading to the best solution but it would be a smart move right? I mean the i5 boost 200 mhz higher and the i7 has only hyperthreading which I assume is not used for watching videos and office stuff. 

EDIT, Conclusion: Ok i made some research and i think i will go with the i5. Hyper threading makes little sense with my laptop.

QM is a quad-core chip, the M is a dual-core chip. More cores > Faster cores for most tasks day to day.

As long as you don't go for a ES chip it works perfectly in the Probook/Elitebook machines

Go for the 2670QM, 

idk

11 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

QM is a quad-core chip, the M is a dual-core chip. More cores > Faster cores for most tasks day to day.

As long as you don't go for a ES chip it works perfectly in the Probook/Elitebook machines

Go for the 2670QM, 

You are totally right. I totally missed that point.

I always thought i5 = quad core , i7 = quad core + hyper threading

Going for the i7 2670qm then and might disable hyper threading if it gets to loud.

Thanks you very much

You are totally right. I totally missed that point.

I always thought i5 = quad core , i7 = quad core + hyper threading

Going for the i7 2670qm then and might disable hyper threading if it gets to loud.

Thanks you very much

Instead of disabling HT, disable turbo in BIOS or Windows by setting maximum processor speed to 99%. 

Keeps my Ivy Bridge chip running cool and quiet

idk

Mobile i5s are 2C/4T. Even some Ultra Low Voltage i7s are 2C/4T. The letters after the model number denote what type of i5/i7 it is.

@Droidbot suggestion is a really good one, that might help.

CPU: Core i7 4970K | MOBO: Asus Z87 Pro | RAM: 32GBs of G.Skill Ares 1866 | GPU: MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 | STOR: 2 X Crucial BX100 250GB, 2 x WD Blk 1TB (mirror),WD Blk 500GB | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced | PSU: EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 750W | COOL: Cooler Master Hyper T4 | DISP: 21" 1080P POS | KB: MS Keyboard | MAU5: Redragon NEMEANLION | MIC: Snowball Blue | OS: Win 8.1 Pro x64, (Working on Arch for dual boot) |