i7 6700k vs i5 7600k, vs i7 7700k

i had a friend at work offer me a core i7 6700 k at 250 dollars, however, i am not sure if i want to put it into my build, its older, has a weaker igpu (which will matter for about 3 months while i save for my gpu, not actually that important) is harder to cool, and has a lower maximum ram speed. i was planning on building it with a gtx 1070, 16 gb ddr4 3000 c15 corsair vengeance lpx ram, a samsung evo 850 120gb ssd, a 500-650 watt psu, and a msi z270 sli plus mobo.

i was wondering if i should take the offer, or take the core i5 7600k, at 40 dollars less, or if i should take the i7 7700k at 50 dollars more?

Get one of the i7s.  I have a 6700K and its great.   An extra $50 isn't bad but the 7700K is very similar...  

Do you have a slightly limited budget?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

i am planning on building this over the course of a year or so, so im not concerned with a hard limit, but if i can save money without sacrificing much performance i will.

You'll get similar perf between the i7s, I'd avoid the i5

Yeah, defernetely go for an i7.

And don't buy hardware piece by piece whenever you have the money. Save it all up and buy it all at once

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

the i5 is still a great card. but 250 for the 6700k is not a bad price at all. the 6700k is a very capable Cpu. it has similar performance to a 7700k, but will save you some money.

PC: ryzen r7 1700 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC | gskill 16gb ddr4 2666mhz | Asrock AB 350m pro4 mobo | 120gb m.2 ssd, 240gb sata ssd, 2tb 7200rpm hdd | 750W Coolermaster powersupply | Phanteks Eclipse case | monitor: BenQ PD2500Q

is cooling going to be an issue? i may not be able to keep the parts as cool as i would like, and i have heard quite a few times that the skylake line runs at higher temps and requires more power, is any of this true? i have also been to a site called user bench mark which claims the kabi lake i5 runs almost the same as the skylake i7 though im not sure if i believe that either.

8 minutes ago, xzantian said:

is cooling going to be an issue? i may not be able to keep the parts as cool as i would like, and i have heard quite a few times that the skylake line runs at higher temps and requires more power, is any of this true? i have also been to a site called user bench mark which claims the kabi lake i5 runs almost the same as the skylake i7 though im not sure if i believe that either.

It's kaby thay runs hotter not skylake. 

thank you very much, this all has me thinking the i7 6700k is the better option of the three, and a good value. which is very lucky since i have already told my coworker i would purchase it once i have the money. as for building the computer one part at a time, i know its not good at all, but i dont really have a choice.

Either of the two i7 will be excellent but avoid i5 at all cost

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

18 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

You'll get similar perf between the i7s, I'd avoid the i5

An i5 isn't terrible, the i7's are definitely better. But if you're just gaming an i5 is good enough. Did I happen to miss an article that says the i5 causes cancer and will kill you, because that seems like the only reason to avoid it at all costs. 

6 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

6 hours ago, JJS76 said:

i5 causes cancer

dun dun dun!!!!!

TBF I wouldn't buy anything with less than 4 cores/8 threads due to the massive use of cores in recent years.  The use of multi-core CPUs is increasing rapidly

1 hour ago, Damascus said:

dun dun dun!!!!!

TBF I wouldn't buy anything with less than 4 cores/8 threads due to the massive use of cores in recent years.  The use of multi-core CPUs is increasing rapidly

Exactly since DX12/Vulkan are all about threads all recent games made using the API in mind should see more benefit from threads than frequency, such we have seen in The Witcher 3, BF1, BF4 cs:go, and many other games will show the i7 7700 locked outperforming the i5 7600k, number of threads are simply more relevant on many games nowadays.

Not to mention multi-tasking, multi-threaded application, over all feeling of responsiveness etc...  Either you go g4560 for low end, i5 7500 mid end or then at least the 7700 but preferably if you can afford the unlocked one for high end system, there is no place for intel's bad value for money i3 and i5 unlocked chips nowadays... That is, if you value your money.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)