DNS refuses to try to connect to IP when it is online.

Claryn

Hi.

I am having major issues connecting to a website. I was browsing a website for 1-2 hours, then it suddenly wouldn't load. It is my site, so I checked the status of my host, and it said all servers are up and running.

I tried clearing my cache and browser history, but it still results in a time-out. Tried to ping the website through console - it times out, 100% package loss. 

I pulled up my phone, turn on 4G, and it connects to the site immediately. So I restart my router, and the site is back on the computer! I hit refresh once, and then it's gone - I now get a time-out when pinging from console. 

I tried to set my routers DNS to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4 (Google's DNS), but that yields in the same result. Phone cannot connect to the site over Wifi when using my router. 

I think there is a DNS I am being routed through that doesn't bother to check the IP of the domain that I am connecting to, because it believes it is offline without even checking. How can I reset that? It is impossible to get any work done when my home-network just assumes that an IP Is offline, when it clearly is up when connecting from another network.

Running Arch with i3-gaps on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme
Data Science Postgrad

Try connecting to the website using the PC's local IP address. Like 192.168.1.74 or something.

The geek himself.

You can look for it normally on your routers gateway.

The geek himself.

Just now, Being Delirious said:

You can look for it normally on your routers gateway.

The site is not hosted locally. 
Trying to connect directly to IP at desktop on broadband doesnt work.
I can still connect over mobile network. 

Data Science Postgrad

one of the ISP's DNS must be down

if you know the IP connect to it that way

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

one of the ISP's DNS must be down

if you know the IP connect to it that way

I know the IP. Still can't connect. I am using Google's DNS server, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. I have also tried ISP's DNS. 

Data Science Postgrad

2 minutes ago, Claryn said:

I know the IP. Still can't connect. I am using Google's DNS server, 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4. I have also tried ISP's DNS. 

the DNS has nothing to do with it

if you can't connect then something on the ISP's network (where the client is) is broken - especially since you say you can connect to it from another network (different network / insfrastructure)

Just now, zMeul said:

the DNS has nothing to do with it

if you can't connect then something on the ISP's network (where the client is) is broken - especially since you say you can connect to it from another network

What could it be then? I can connect to it over 4G, and my brother who lives across town can also access my site. 

Data Science Postgrad

3 minutes ago, Claryn said:

What could it be then? I can connect to it over 4G, and my brother who lives across town can also access my site. 

you should not mess with the DNS settings on the router and leave it as the ISP assigns them

you can however mess with them on your PC/laptop in the NIC's settings by adding them; 1st DNS should always be the router's IP

Just now, zMeul said:

you should not mess with the DNS settings on the router and leave it as the ISP assigns them

you can however mess with them in the NIC's settings by adding them; 1st DNS should always be the router's IP

Is anyone reading what I am tryping?
I have tried with the default ISP DNS, and Google's DNS. Both yields the same result. 

Data Science Postgrad

Just now, Claryn said:

Ill reset it back, but it I still can't connect. 

can you ping any internet webpage? google.com for example

Just now, zMeul said:

can you ping any internet webpage? google.com for example

Yes I am browsing normally. I have the forums open in the same browser window that tries to connect to my site. 

Data Science Postgrad

1 minute ago, Claryn said:

Yes I am browsing normally. I have the forums open in the same browser window that tries to connect to my site. 

yes, but why I say ping is because you might actually do it through IPv6 instead of IPv4

and as I said in a previous post, there could be something wrong with the ISP you're currently on

Just now, zMeul said:

yes, but why I say ping is because you might actually do it through IPv6 instead of IPv4

Yes. I can ping any other site, but not mine. 

Data Science Postgrad

55 minutes ago, zMeul said:

and as I said in a previous post, there could be something wrong with the ISP you're currently on

Rogue DHCP alert! 

ping www.google.com             -- You get replies,

ping www.google.com -4         -- You get timeouts right?

ipv6 is working because of NAT, ipv4 isn't because you have 2 routers trying to DHCP-server your device.

Solution:

- disable the DHCP on your router by logging into it, disable dhcp server, put the ethernet cable in a LAN port.

- OR Put the ip range it hands out on something other then 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, try for example 192.168.7.1

2 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

Rogue DHCP alert! 

ipv6 is working because of NAT, ipv4 isn't because you have 2 routers trying to DHCP-server your device.

Solution:

- disable the DHCP on your router by logging into it, disable dhcp server, put the ethernet cable in a LAN port.

- Put the ip range it hands out on something other then 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, try for example 192.168.7.1

if he has two routers he should've said something

Yeh, or it could be a switch that needs resetting, we'll see, I doubt it's the ISP though.

4 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

Rogue DHCP alert! 

Solution:

- OR Put the ip range it hands out on something other then 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1, try for example 192.168.7.1

You are correct that I have two routers. I have one stable router that everything is connected to, including a router with 5Ghz that is working as my AP, except I haven't configured any of it. I thought it would be ok as it was. How should I do this?

Router A is connected to WAN. All wired devices are connected to router A. Router B is connected to a LAN-port on router A, and has all wireless devices. 

Data Science Postgrad

5 minutes ago, Claryn said:

You are correct that I have two routers.

mate, you should've led with this since the very 1st post -_-

it's quite likely both routers work in the same subnet

the 2nd router "should" have an option to turn it into AP mode - it should fix a lot of your issues

to test it, just power off the 2nd router; a reboot of the main router should also be considered 

Those two routers are conflicting, both trying to hand out IP addresses to your devices, try to login into one of them and disable the DHCP server, then connect the incoming ethernet cable to a LAN port on that router (now AP) you just configured. That should solve it all.

1 minute ago, Belgiangurista said:

Those two routers are conflicting, both trying to hand out IP addresses to your devices, try to login into one of them and disable the DHCP server, then connect the incoming ethernet cable to a LAN port on that router (now AP) you just configured. That should solve it all.

I dont know how to configure it.

Router A is stable, but only has 2.4Ghz. There is too much disturbance on the 2.4Ghz band where I live to use it, so I need 5Ghz, but the only 5Ghz router I have is router B, but it crashes about once a day, that is why I have it setup as I do. That way all wired connections are stable.

I have been trying to access the site when connected to router A at all times.

Which router do I configure how, and how do I do it?

Data Science Postgrad

1 minute ago, Claryn said:

I dont know how to configure it.

Router A is stable, but only has 2.4Ghz. There is too much disturbance on the 2.4Ghz band where I live to use it, so I need 5Ghz, but the only 5Ghz router I have is router B, but it crashes about once a day, that is why I have it setup as I do. That way all wired connections are stable.

I have been trying to access the site when connected to router A at all times.

Which router do I configure how, and how do I do it?

just power off router B for testing purposes

A: NetGear JWNR201

B: Belkin F9K11

@Belgiangurista

Data Science Postgrad