Radeon HD 7870 crossfire

Go to solution Solved by MarcCz,

Using the adapters shouldn't be an issue. However, I would question weather or not 600 Watts is enough juice. I would check everything out before I buy. I've used this power supply calculator before it seems fairly accurate. Be sure to plug in all you're components. if it recommends anything above 550W i'd say you're on the edge. Aslo aside from the power issues it may be worth just buying a new card especially if you're looking at a power supply upgrade. Crossfire has a lot of issues especially with older cards (I currently rock two 7970s). If you're interested in VR I don't think 2 7870s are going to cut it. I think if you really want to pursue VR I'd recommend committing to a better card. remember VR sets start at $600 so investing $200-300 in a new video card isn't that crazy.

Hello, I have a EVGA 600w power supply. I'm thinking of crossfireing my Radeon HD 7870. To maybe run vr in the future. The only problem is that my power supply only has two 6/8 pin connectors. Would it be safe to use molex to 6 pin adapters for this?

Thank,

Using the adapters shouldn't be an issue. However, I would question weather or not 600 Watts is enough juice. I would check everything out before I buy. I've used this power supply calculator before it seems fairly accurate. Be sure to plug in all you're components. if it recommends anything above 550W i'd say you're on the edge. Aslo aside from the power issues it may be worth just buying a new card especially if you're looking at a power supply upgrade. Crossfire has a lot of issues especially with older cards (I currently rock two 7970s). If you're interested in VR I don't think 2 7870s are going to cut it. I think if you really want to pursue VR I'd recommend committing to a better card. remember VR sets start at $600 so investing $200-300 in a new video card isn't that crazy.