What CPU for CPU intensive games

Do I need anythng better than an i5 7600 for a pure gaming machine?

Just now, frozeNNN said:

For what resolution and GPU?

And what games.

3 minutes ago, TOBZLAY3R said:

that depends on what type of gaming you are going for. if you want really high refresh-rate gaming you would probably want an i7 but otherwise you are usually ok with an i5 but that may change in the near future with dx 12 and the ryzen cpus becoming more popular.  

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

And what games.

CPU intensive ones i guess :D 

4 minutes ago, TOBZLAY3R said:

For pure gaming i5 is only what you need..But the coming AMD R5 is also a great choice if you are going to build a new PC

Just now, ALJOJAISON said:

For pure gaming i5 is only what you need..But the coming AMD R5 is also a great choice if you are going to build a new PC

depends, i7 will benefit in newer CPU intensive games. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

depends, i7 will benefit in newer CPU intensive games. 

Actually you really dont need an i7 just for gaming cause i5 is made specifically considering gamer in mind, But RYZEN R5 is coming..

Actually you really dont need an i7 just for gaming cause i5 is made specifically considering gamer in mind, But RYZEN R5 is coming..

Not true,specially today when games use more than 4 cores.

1 minute ago, ALJOJAISON said:

Some games show i7 starting to be utilized 

Ryzen 5 is a serious consideration.

Ok thats why I said Ryzen R5 is coming ..and it comes with more than 4 cores

Ok thats why I said Ryzen R5 is coming ..and it comes with more than 4 cores

Even with the extra cores, its IPC isn't comparable to a what intel atm and the higher average overclock ability of their chips

Just now, tp95112 said:

Even with the extra cores, its IPC isn't comparable to a what intel atm and the higher average overclock ability of their chips

Ryzen has higher overclock ability and also has improved much greater in terms of IPC 

11 minutes ago, TOBZLAY3R said:

Just as a generalization, most games tend to prefer higher clock speeds to go with the IPC.  This is part of the reason that an OC 7700k is currently the best gaming CPU on the market.  Newer game titles are also beginning to utilize more cores/threads for better performance as well.  For a pure gaming machine, you can go with a 7600 (non-K) but you will be limiting the clock speeds available and have half the threads as a 7700k.  Longer term, it is hard to tell where the tipping point between clock speeds and core availability is going to be.  Question would be what your budget is and whether you can afford a k-sku Intel for the higher clock speed availability or maybe wait for an AMD R5 to give you a similar OC clock speed to the non-k 7600 with more core/threads.

Ryzen has higher overclock ability and also has improved much greater in terms of IPC 

IPC is improved but no where near a 7700k/7600k. The overclock is pretty meh. In Linus upcoming ryzen video, he couldnt get anything past 4.0Ghz even going out of its voltage spec. Alot of other reviewers couldnt get any higher either. And the OP is asking for cpu intentsive games so I am assuming strong core performance and not multithreaded performance

50 minutes ago, ALJOJAISON said:

Wrong. It was correct until around the middle of last year when we started to get more and more games benefitting from the extra threads of i7's  Now i'm not saying if someone has an i5 they should upgrade, I'm saying (and have been for months) that if someone is building a mid to high level machine they should fit an i7 into the system provided it doesn't compromise other components - especially as the thread usage is starting to become the norm and people want their builds to last a few years + that and the point that people tend to go through 2 - 3 GPU's  before upgrading their CPU. I Have a thread in my signature that provides some benchmark averages of around 14 games in varying processors. And here is my now familiar picture lol that shows i5 vs i7 frame times (stutter)

42HiPN0.png

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

The games will pretty much be TW games, ashes of the singularity, PDX games and Starcraft.

I mostly play strategy games but Im looking at gettng into other games with my new PC and if I buy a gtx 1070 I get for honor or ghost recon for free.

But if I need to get an i7 for my faves Ill have to scrap that.

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

Wrong. It was correct until around the middle of last year when we started to get more and more games benefitting from the extra threads of i7's  Now i'm not saying if someone has an i5 they should upgrade, I'm saying (and have been for months) that if someone is building a mid to high level machine they should fit an i7 into the system provided it doesn't compromise other components - especially as the thread usage is starting to become the norm and people want there builds to last a few years + that and the point that people tend to go through 2 - 3 GPU before upgrading their GPU. I Have a thread in my signature that provides some benchmark averages of around 14 games in varying processors. And here is my now familiar picture lol that shows i5 vs i7 frame times (stutter)

42HiPN0.png

Sir on the photo u attached i5 scored 104 FPS and its not at all bad...And also considering the Price i5 Is better than i7..For the price

Sir on the photo u attached i5 scored 104 FPS and its not at all bad...And also considering the Price i5 Is better than i7..For the price

Look at the frame times as I stated in the quote :)

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

what price range is RYZEN R5 going to be in?

1 minute ago, TOBZLAY3R said:

what price range is RYZEN R5 going to be in?

The R5 stack is going to range from $169 to $249, although I would probably look at the R5 1600 in the Ryzen R5 lineup at $219 with an X370 board and an AIO cooler to OC it to the max stable.  That would provide 6 cores with SMT for 12 threads.  

For better or for worse the actual question is What CPU for intensive gaming and My answer is RYZEN as its more cost effective and since future RYZEN chips can be placed in the same socket it can be upgraded easily..rather than buying a new mother board and a processor on intel side and also i7 may give more performance than RYZEN but still its not about getting the highest FPS its about getting the best for the money and in that case RYZEN nailed it.

after getting my dollar to SEK converter I see that is abysmally small compared to i5 7600.

From what Im gathering the i5 will be good enough and maybe Ryzen will be better?

2 minutes ago, TOBZLAY3R said:

after getting my dollar to SEK converter I see that is abysmally small compared to i5 7600.

From what Im gathering the i5 will be good enough and maybe Ryzen will be better?

Sir RYZEN R5 is better than i5 cause you get more cores and more performance than i5 at that price point