Virtualization with Ryzen

Share experiences using Ryzen with VMware,  unRaid, etc...

dont have one myself yet but i just watched this

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I have used vmware workstation on ryzen but not the vmware standalone operating system. I believe it should work the same as it does on the intel platform but there might be some issues because it is such a new product. Also developers have focused on intel solely when designing software because the last cpu launch in the fx line was 2012.

My system-Core i7 6950X, AsusX99 DeluxeII, 128gb Crucial DDR4, Corsair 900D Titan X, Asus Thunderbolt EXII Card,Quadro M4000,Intel X540 network card

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious about performance in Workstation on a Ryzen vs an Intel chip. Looking at updating my workstation machine and I run 2-4 VMs at a time on top of my Windows 10 host. Current machine (laptop) has an i7-4800MQ, 16 GB of RAM, 250GB SSD OS drive, 1 TB SSD Secondary drive (VMs live here).

Looking at building a desktop for my main usage of programming and work, excited about Ryzen, trying to make some hardware selections.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished the specs for a virtualization build using Hyper-V. I'll be assembling and transferring over a few guests from an 8350 host and hoping to stand up a few more with the extra pony's. Will report back in a few weeks with my results/thoughts.

My only criticism now; I wish AMD would include ECC in the consumer chip-sets. It bugs me that I can't get that extra reliability on my build.

On a positive note, I like that RAID10 is being supported by the chipset; on the last machine, I had to use the motherboard RAID1 and then rely on Windows "Spaces" to combine two RAID1 volumes. Looking forward to having a 6 drive RAID10 volume. (I will be using the primary two slots for a RAID1 boot volume SSD for the host, and a 6 drive RAID10 4tb drive configuration for a total of 12tb of redundant high speed storage)

On 17/03/2017 at 10:58 PM, SCHISCHKA said:

dont have one myself yet but i just watched this

Who is this guy ? 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just finished migrating my 2 FX-8350 cloud host workloads to the new Ryzen 7, 1800x cloud host. This chip is a beast! It is handling the workload, though it appears it is struggling to handle the load of two FX-8350 chips (which also were struggling). In my initial tests, I had some stand-in 2012R2 VM's running; but the final workload is Windows 10 VM's. The 2012R2 VM's showed the host handling 1 full machine workload with less than 12% of the CPU being utilized. The final migration of both systems in Windows 10 VM's has me showing at 75% utilization, but I don't seem to be able to access any more power in the VM's (they are all internally showing 100% CPU utilization). This might be due to the GUEST OS's or problems with passing the workload through and getting good utilization of the multi-threading on the CPU. I'm hoping AMD issues an update to clean this up one way or another.

Another thing to keep in mind, motherboard manufacturers are seriously lagging in their chip-set utilization. I was unable to make use of the chip-set RAID features with large drives. Darn motherboard locked me out of 3 TB of my drives in RAID 1 and 10 because of some maximum 3TB drive size limitation at the bios level. Even with the quirky provided update, I wasn't able to get all of my space using the on-board chip-set RAID. I was able to access full drive sizes non-RAID.

Edit : I am using Windows 10 professional with Hyper-V as my host operating system.