I need a cheapish pci-e wifi card

lolzisgoodforu

So I need a wifi card and i just wanted some suggestions. ive got $50 to spend and i would prefer not to spend all of it on a wifi card but if thats what is comes to then whatever. so my internet speed is about 110 download and 100 upload but i would prefer a card than can go quite a bit higher just for the sake of extra headroom and bragging rights.

Just now, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

There's a bunch of nice TP Link ones on Amazon- but I recommend trying to get a wired connection.

wired isnt what im looking for because my pc i across the house from my router

There's a bunch of nice TP Link ones on Amazon- but I recommend trying to get a wired connection.

Don't go TP-Link. I have a wifi card of theirs and though it works ok, I've had several issues with it, from the card not being detected a couple times and having to reseat it (which is probably isolated to my unit however) and their drivers not even supporting Windows 10. Seriously. Had to install in Win8 compatibility mode.

So go with Gigabyte or Asus, they just tend to be better.

And yes I agree that a wired connection is a lot better especially if your setup is far from your router.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Just now, Spork829 said:

Don't go TP-Link. I have a wifi card of theirs and though it works ok, I've had several issues with it, from the card not being detected a couple times and having to reseat it (which is probably isolated to my unit however) and their drivers not even supporting Windows 10. Seriously. Had to install in Win8 compatibility mode.

And yes I agree that a wired connection is a lot better especially if your setup is far from your router.

I've had multiple TP-Link wireless cards in Windows 10 PC's that are all auto detected and work plug and play.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

I've had multiple TP-Link wireless cards in Windows 10 PC's that are all auto detected and work plug and play.

Really? Mine needed the driver or it freaked out and was really unstable. Maybe that as well was due to it being a bad unit. 

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

well i dont need super speed internet if it drops a bit just because im going wireless, thats fine, im not going to have an ethernet cord dragging across my house

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

Ships within 1-4 weeks

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

b49.gif

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

buy a cheap or used NETGEAR WIFI EXTENDER that has a Ethernet port on the side, connect the extender to a wifi, place it next to your pc and use a Ethernet wire to connect :)

-yeeah boiii

(p.s. I need to get my sh*t together..)

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Ships within 1-4 weeks

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

b49.gif

hey hush, im a patient person lol

6 minutes ago, linus.wut said:

buy a cheap or used NETGEAR WIFI EXTENDER that has a Ethernet port on the side, connect the extender to a wifi, place it next to your pc and use a Ethernet wire to connect :)

-yeeah boiii

wouldnt that essentially still be the same thing as using wifi though? i woudlnt get full ethernet speeds would i?

13 minutes ago, linus.wut said:

-yeeah boiii

would this do? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006V72AHC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A113STONWV978I

8 minutes ago, lolzisgoodforu said:

wouldnt that essentially still be the same thing as using wifi though? i woudlnt get full ethernet speeds would i?

Yeah unless we're misunderstanding you @linus.wut I'm not sure there's any point to that. His problem isn't that the router is too far away to use wifi.