Decline in US BitTorrent traffic, says study.

LordGarth6
BitTorrent traffic is in decline in the US for the first time, according to a new study.

The protocol, used by many pirate sites as well as legal services, allows people to download files bit by bit.

It saw its share of total internet traffic fall to 7%, a drop of 20% in the past six months. However, in Europe traffic continues to grow.

Meanwhile, other video content is riding high - with NetFlix and YouTube accounting for 50% of all net traffic.

The use of "dark nets" such as Tor and encrypted digital lockers is growing in popularity.

These can be harder to track.

But also people are simply turning to legitimate services.

Source BBC

so by the seems of it people are moving to legit services and other file sharing services, in the US.

I don't know how good netflix and other providers are for content and pricing, for the US (nor europe), but it seems to be good enough to fight piracy.

tbh piracy is never going to die as if people can get something for free then they are going to take it for free, this doesnt apply to everyone as some people want to pay for it but cant get easy access to it or over it priced to hell.

A decent service at a fair price, with good content, that is avaliable to everyone is imo the best way to reduce piracy.

Just a guy with a beard

If in Australia we could get access to HD TV shows within hours of it being broadcast in the US im sure even if it was $100 a month for subscription there would be many who would pay for it.. in this day and age having to wait 6 - 8 months after it airs is ridiculous 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

If in Australia we could get access to HD TV shows within hours of it being broadcast in the US im sure even if it was $100 a month for subscription there would be many who would pay for it.. in this day and age having to wait 6 - 8 months after it airs is ridiculous 

True that is annoying that it is ages from US airing to other regions. i say it should be a month absolute max, so any regional copyright issues and/or restrictions can be met.

Is it just bittorent usgase because this could mean that people are moving to other torrent programs like Deluge.

"The protocol, used by many pirate sites as well as legal services, allows people to download files bit by bit." i presume from this that it is anything that uses common torrent protocol, if Deluge uses it then its use may have fallen.

Just a guy with a beard

True that is annoying that it is ages from US airing to other regions. i say it should be a month absolute max, so any regional copyright issues and/or restrictions can be met.

"The protocol, used by many pirate sites as well as legal services, allows people to download files bit by bit." i presume from this that it is anything that uses common torrent protocol, if Deluge uses it then its use has fallen.

you think i want to wait 1 month after it airs i suppose im meant to just sit in a dark room waiting for the show to air in Australia im not waiting for Game Of Thrones hence why its the most pirated in australia 

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

A quote from the article:

Copyright holders continue to pursue piracy in all its forms on the web, and websites that publish song lyrics have become the latest target.

Fucking kidding me? Websites with song lyrics are getting taken down... wow.

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

My guess is it is one of a few things.

• Netflix popularity is growing so there is an easy, good alternative.
  • Bandwidth caps are low and file sizes are getting larger *doubtful but possible*
  • Web sites are becoming blocked or are getting taken down.

Thing is this might just be garbage news, you never know with this kind of news. Where and

how this information was tracked, could a single person even check this information out themselves?

I mean the easiest way to fact check is to prove it yourself. But if you can't prove it then how do we

know this is legitimate info?

Just my 2 cents.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

Is it just bittorent usgase because this could mean that people are moving to other torrent programs like Deluge.

very true.. i just did this exact thing.. loving Deluge 

Intel i5 4670K | Asus z97 Deluxe | MSI GTX 1060 (6GB) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance |

120GB Samsung EVO - 480GB OCZ Solid III - 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda  | Corsair AX760

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate | Razer Ouroboros

very true.. i just did this exact thing.. loving Deluge 

The reason I switched is becasue bittorent and utorrent were constantly crashing. I tried a few others but Deluge is my favorite.

Quote me to get a reply!

In this case, they mean BItorrent as a protocol, even the article itself starts with that.