Generating Pi: Chance for Linus to break a record? (y-cruncher)

iamdarkyoshi

http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/

The first scalable multi-threaded Pi-benchmark for multi-core systems...

Current record of ~22.4 trillion digits.

I somehow feel like linus has the resources to beat this. What do you think?

Details below:

News:

Pi Computed to 22.4 Trillion Digits: (November 15, 2016)

I woke up this morning to see what was quite possibly one of the bigger surprises I've ever seen. Peter Trueb, who had previously set records for the Lemniscate and Euler-Masheroni Constants had sent me an email with details for a fully verified computation of Pi to 22.4 trillion digits.

The exact number of digits is 22,459,157,718,361 which is precisely 1012 * Pie rounded down. This smashes the previous record of 13.3 trillion digits set by "houkouonchi" back in 2013. The computation took 105 days from July to November. It was interrupted 3 times, but otherwise went through without any major issues.

The hardware that was used was:

• Processors: 4 x Xeon E7-8890 v3 @ 2.50 GHz (72 cores, 144 threads)
  • Memory: 1.25 TB DDR4
  • Storage: 20 x 6 TB 7200 RPM Seagate

Peter has prepared a blog with more details here. The sponsor, Dectris, has also posted a news article.

The 3.5 month run-time for 22 trillion digits is quite remarkable. Even though there have been several years of hardware and software improvements since the previous records, computations of this size have generally stagnated due to the inability of disk storage to keep up with Moore's Law in both size and performance.

Other notable and interesting facts:

• This is the first time that a quad-socket computer was used for a Pi record with y-cruncher.
  • This is the first time more than 1 terabyte of memory was used for a Pi record with y-cruncher.
  • The storage configuration could sustain a bandwidth of 4 GB/s. That's significantly more than any of the previous records.
  • The total amount of disk I/O for this computation was approximately 8 PB read and 7 PB written. That's "PB" as in petabytes.

On the software side, this is the first Pi record in 2 years. Since then, y-cruncher has gone through many changes from multiple refactorings, AVX2, the new parallel computing frameworks, new implementations of the large FFT algorithms, etc... - none of which had ever been tested at such large sizes. So this computation can be seen as somewhat of a validation of 2 years of work.

This is the first time that y-cruncher has been used to set a Pi record completely without my knowledge. In the past, I've always been made aware of the computations in order to provide technical support. But this time, everything from the computation to the necessary verification steps was done entirely by Peter Trueb and his sponsors. I took no part in it at all other than to maintain this website along with all the downloads and documentation.

Well, I could see AMD's new server lineup being helpful for this. It'd be a nice test to see several different aspects of their new server lineup such as real world number crunching, power efficiency, etc. 

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Linus doesn't have a server that powerful though...

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

11 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Linus doesn't have a server that powerful though...

But he can get sponsors to give him stuff that powerful ;)

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

How exactly are the digits of pi calculated?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, Scruffy90 said:

How exactly are the digits of pi calculated?

*Ahem* First link, y-cruncher *Ahem* *Cough*

I'm fine, don't worry about me.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Think he meant how does the program work...

Still found in first link. 

http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/algorithms.html

http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/internals/formulas.html

Hack and use the government supercomputers. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G