Get the i7 6700k or the Ryzen 7 1700?

First of all let me start to what i will be using my pc for.

Mostly gaming,hosting server, and working with virtual machine (1 or 2 maybe 3).

if i buy a used i7 6700k they go for around £230-240 ish where as a new ryzen 7 1700 go for £340 ish and below.

budget i have is £550 and already have a corsair h80i v2 (yes i will order an am4 bracket if i go for 1700).

Yes I will be overclocking the CPU I get

vIc7XR1.jpg

Also if you could suggest a good budget B350 motherboard (looking for white one) would be great.

Ryzen isn't as good for gaming but the multi-threaded performance is insane for the money

AsRock B250M Pro4 isn't that bad, and it's a good board with 9 phase power delivery and dual m.2

idk

get Ryzen but make sure you get one of the motherboards with an external clock generator or you wont be able to change the BCLK

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I run a 6700k as my main system and have been testing out a 1700 recently. So far I don't see a massive reason to switch to Ryzen as main, but my use cases generally don't involve heavily threaded tasks. The extra cores would probably help running a server and VMs, but you may want more ram also.

I've got the Asus B350M-A and X370-Pro, and neither really seem as good value as Intel mobos currently. They just lack something. I'm neutral on them, not good, not bad.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Ryzen isn't as good for gaming but the multi-threaded performance is insane for the money

AsRock B250M Pro4 isn't that bad, and it's a good board with 9 phase power delivery and dual m.2

sorry i should have probably mention for the ryzen =/. 

Ryzen can be used for gaming just fine, although it currently isn't the best thing out there. But the hardware is capable... Just need software/firmware updates. Considering you want to run VM's, it's a no-brainer. Ryzen.

If you are going to go Ryzen just make sure you check your virtualisation software is updated to support that CPU.

I'm not aware of any Hypervisors (other than HyperV) that are ready for Ryzen yet.

Will probably take a few months for software updates.

The gaming difference is not really notable with most games running withing like a 5 FPS difference between them if the rest of the setup is kept very similar. You should thus be looking at the other factors, will the servers you will be running benefit from more cores/threads ? (Most gaming servers will and also a nice bonus if you plan on streaming without a dedicated streaming pc) and then VMs will almost always benefit from it because you can assign MORE POWER ;p. The last thing to consider would be expansion cards because AFAIK (and I stand under correction) but 6th gen intel only has 20 pci-e lanes and Ryzen has 24 not that it would make a difference if you are planning on having one beast card with maybe like a pci-e ssd or something in that line. 

36 minutes ago, WereCat said:

In your case, the Ryzen will make way more sense.

I won't suggest you a motherboard since I don't know AM4 motherboards well atm. I will let that to someone else.

I am agreeing here as well though and can't really tell you about a motherboard because it is still a new platform and not a lot has been done yet but AsRock, ASUS and Gigabyte are always good brands to look at when starting your search. 

Between the two, I'd say go with the Ryzen. Yeah, you will probably get a little lower fps in games compared to the Intel, but you get a stronger CPU overall; More cores and threads, more lanes (so you can actually *use* your PCI slots without sacrificing your GPU's x16 speed).

Edit: I missed an important part too: VMing and hosting, definitely get the Ryzen buddy.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

2 hours ago, Rohime said:

If you are going to go Ryzen just make sure you check your virtualisation software is updated to support that CPU.

I'm not aware of any Hypervisors (other than HyperV) that are ready for Ryzen yet.

Will probably take a few months for software updates.

I have KVM, VMware Workstation and ESXI working in my lab on Ryzen.

Seems to work fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have managed to get myself a ryzen 7 1700 for £250, thanks to Ebay Voucher 15% off got it just the right time