Replacing fan in Linksys LGS124P switch

Humbie

Hi guys,

About a year ago, I bought myself a 24-port Linksys switch LGS124P, but the installed fan is making too much noise for my liking.

I just opened it up and apparently the installed fan is

I also noticed the switch has room for a second 40x40 fan, so I can use a Y-splitter for the single available 3-pin on the board.

Currently I see these 2 options for replacing the fan:

I'm leaning towards the more silent option as it should suffice, but wanted a second opinion on this matter.

Silence is key for me, without sacrificing the lifespan of my switch.

Should I go for the more silent option or for more airflow to keep everything cool?

You probably can't get the same cooling with lower rpm fans. If you have good headroom on temps and don't mind them rising 5c or more, then you should be fine.

In which case, NF-A4's might work better for keeping things quiet. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dqCwrH/noctua-case-fan-nfa4x10

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 1 year later...

Did you ever do this? any success? i have a lgs124p and fan too noisy for my liking (i have it in my living room in a cupboard). any tips? 

• 6 months later...
On 2/27/2019 at 9:29 PM, gozilla said:

Did you ever do this? any success? i have a lgs124p and fan too noisy for my liking (i have it in my living room in a cupboard). any tips? 

Hi there.

I'm from Berlin, Germany.

Found this thread couple of weeks ago.

I did the changing yesterday with 2 Noctua wings.

You need a y splitter for this, but it is working smooth and silent aterwards.

IMG_20190912_101740.jpg

IMG_20190912_101700.jpg

IMG_20190912_101713.jpg

Edited by Toobie
Uploaded pictures